• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Surprise

Oskar94

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
I've maded a new texture for the HMS Surprise, what do you think?

The pics:
2n1z66s.jpg

fmq5op.jpg

An in-game pic:
vpdsol.jpg

I like the new yellow! Perhaps the black could be a bit less dark, revealing somewhat more structure. It is a nice texture!

What this model needs, is a life boat, don't you think? But the skin is very movie like, great work!Is the skin allready available?

I think this model, to be more "film like", need a lower number of guns (28 instead 42), the lifboat and a more round bow... :doff
5b_HMSSurprise2.jpg

hms_rose.gif

I,ve to add more details, than i upload it...

Aye :onya
Can you make it?
If someone make the difference i can make the textures...

The lifeboat, rounder bow and the raised quarterdeck are not a real issue... now reducing cannons means re uvmapping for the new faces needed to cover the extra portholes wount have proper uv coordinates... that could get complicated... i can give it a try...
Is it the same one that's included in the community modpack for coas ? (Surprise1.gm - 7.346 Mb)

yes, she's the blue and yellow one, the same model of the boussole... If you made the model and the coordinates i can make the textures... Ok?

There should'nt be a need to retexture anything for the new portholes faces would be mapped next to the existing ones... and the life boat is gonna be taken from Zareth's Constitution, the only part that could need a new tex would be the vertical portion of the quarterdeck and the stairs, if you want i can map them apart so you can put a different color or wood type, or i can place them somewhere they fit... have you uploaded your retex somewhere yet ?

I guess you won't have to remove many gunport of the gundeck, more on the upper deck. A real movie like surprise would be a real treasure in the game and could well be combine with pgarons Bellona!
HMS_Surprise_by_frburger.jpg

916639203_d58cf8c7a2.jpg

SanDiego_057.jpg

some insiration for you mate! - bow chasers requiered ;-) good for prize duty

The Surprise we've got was originally made by Inzane, based on the blueprints of the actual HMS Surprise (not the movie one).
Seb modified here a bit and then convinced ZarethPL to rework her stern completely.
But still, she was never made to be movie-accurate.

Good texture, by the way. Wondering what to do with her though...
Adding her as another Royal Navy frigate seems a bit overkill to me,
so the other option would be replacing the current texture altogether.
Does anyone have any preferences on one or the other?

Nice pictures Takeda ! any clues on where she is ?... god i'd love te get my foots on that deck...
Maybe those bowchasers could fit on the higher deck... no way to place them below...

Ok, we can use the old surprise model for a royal navy frigate and the new for the o'brian surprise... For the new part of the upper deck i think you can map it with another texture because i want make a texture for the surprise when was french...

before anyone starts remodeling her here are some prints

[attachment=4493:Surprise_Plan1_lrg.jpg]

[attachment=4494:Surprise_Plan2_lrg.jpg]

I certainly welcome a movie accurate version.
The old version is good enough and will certainly be useful elsewhere. :yes
I like the idea of using her for the Lydia;
we do have a different Lydia-named model in PotC,
but the Surprise is much more detailed and pretty.

Where is she? That question brings up a funny memory.
When I was a Cadet, we were docked in San Diego and when I came up on the bridge,
I saw some pretty sailing ships at the pier next to us.
That day I went ashore to a shopping mall and came back about half an hour before I had to get to work.
By then, I STILL didn't know what ships those were. So I ran up there to ask what ship it is
and was told it was the HMS Surprise from Master and Commander. Then I ran off and went to work. :razz

That is after exporting the GM to OBJ with the GM Viewer, is it?
That sometimes happens when the model is too high-poly. Or something.
Send a PM to ZarethPL for the actual source files.

Back