• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Surprise

In my opinion, if we want to keep the game competing whit the newer ones, like Bioshock, Crysis etc, we have to use more detailed ships, textures etc.
The game engine is old, when it has been released all the games were simpler whith a worse graphic.
Then, there are lots of old ships, like the stock one, that are worse then the newer standards, like the Pgargon's ships, the Raa, the Surprise etc, isn't better to have less ships but better?
For the textures, in the new ships i'll use some textures that use the surprise too, like the deck, the metal, the gold for decorations and others, so...

i dunno. i've always liked the lines of the old corvette and frigate, outdated as they may be. besides, they've been updated with various little details already, and visuals, though a bonus, were never the main 'selling' point of the build mod in my opinion.

Yea, thats a thing that happens... crashes with no notification, in critical moments like going from a sea battle to "God mode" mostly. Got used to it and am saving often.

to me, Things can be pushed further. What we might need is maybe to check the game' s EXE on how much memory can be used and such, and then increase that memory?

Just how much memory does this engine use? When it was designed win98 and XP were the systems and 1gb was it. It seems to me this thing is always running on the hard drive. I haven't checked the use charts, but maybe it is time.

Yes, let's get these new ships in game and keep updating the old ones.

Is she released for POTC? :b:
Yes she is; I've got the link working now: http://www.pyratesah...rprise_final.7z
Don't forget to copy the contents of "ships_init entry" and paste them over the current HMS Surprise entry in PROGRAM/Ships/ships_init.c.
The file also includes new deck textures, which improve most stock ships' appearance.
Enjoy. ;)

Thank you very mutch Armada, and Jack, you are a true master in Ships modelling.
Gonna try this know and leave some feedback later, how is the Providence comming along?

OMG, this IS the most beutiful ship in the Build,
I dont know what else to say than, u really pulled it off this time jack!
Personally, Thank you matey! :onya

With best regards
Meyer189 :)

I was just out giving this ship a test run, when I discovered a slight... flaw... when the sea got very rough:

Taking_on_water.jpg

The ship tilted so far to stern that water entered through the windows! :shock
Once it had drained away, I went to the windows to see what was going on with the waves. When the ship titled back to stern, the next thing I knew, I was submerged:

Underwater_Surprise.jpg

Sure is dark under the waves! I think I even saw a shark at one point. Very strange - and soggy - experience.
I'm starting to think that leaving the stern windows open was a mistake... :rofl

Legendary_Spider, this will be one for that gag reel you mentioned! xD:

That water problem comes from the game not being made to support insides.
I remember in the early days when I worked on Virtual Sailor, it was hugely challenging to keep the water out of the boats.
Not much to be done about it, I expect.

The water was not made to interact with the hull. It's not really a question of interriors, but rather collision between sea surface and ship's hull. There's nothing that can be done, for PotC at least

i've always wanted to do that. xD: the closest i got so far was periodically flooding the bow of a frigate.

I'm well aware that nothing can be done about it, due to the engine's limitations.
I just found it funny to suddenly be overwhelmed by water while in 1st person mode. That's not a common sight! :shock
It almost felt as though the ship was going to sink (well, it should have in reality), but then seeing the water leave the same way it came in was bizarre.

I was just out giving this ship a test run, when I discovered a slight... flaw... when the sea got very rough:

[attachment=6700:Taking_on_water.jpg]

The ship tilted so far to stern that water entered through the windows! :shock
Once it had drained away, I went to the windows to see what was going on with the waves. When the ship titled back to stern, the next thing I knew, I was submerged:

[attachment=6701:Underwater_Surprise.jpg]

Sure is dark under the waves! I think I even saw a shark at one point. Very strange - and soggy - experience.
I'm starting to think that leaving the stern windows open was a mistake... :rofl

Legendary_Spider, this will be one for that gag reel you mentioned! xD:

Oh wow! Keep these shots on hand so I can use them later for the gag reel.
danse1.gif

So that's what it looks like under the game's water! It sure would be cool if we could do that idea I had about giving the Dutchman a submerging ability.
william.gif

Is that a fish in the Captain's cabin??? ENGINE 2011-07-01 12-28-02-06.jpg

Yeah . . . This is why you close the windows before a storm . . . . ENGINE 2011-07-01 12-28-03-07.jpg

Sorry Armada, I sunk my birthday present already. hahaha
24.gif
[attachment=6713:moddingNGINE 2011-07-01 12-28-16-06.jpg]

She might deserve a special news bill on MODDB, she's a well know ship, maybe as much known as the Blackpearl, a sure way to bring new players, navy addicts, and some visibility :sail

Hear is the COAS version of the Awesome Surprise! HMS_Surprise_final COAS.7z
Wonderful stuff Armada! Good job on the wheel and spanker! Best yet Jack.
icon_wink.gif

Hello Craiggo.

is that file for COAS vanilla or GOF ?
Anyone know anything about when the new version of GOF with Providence will be ready? :gday Not to seem impatient

Great work on the surprise by the way! ;-)

With best regards
Meyer189 :onya

Back