• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hoist the Colours

I must admit I really DON'T like most stuff from the other PotC games and comic books and such, most notably Jolly Roger and such. :facepalm

Yes, I did get the idea of Chevalle being hanged, but I put it before the events of DMC and the Turkish Prison as the AWE game contradicts the movie and adds that content after it. I think it would be a good idea to use the content involving Jack rallying the conclave as well as some content from POTCO as it will make a good questline separating the two movies (as there is a year buffer). Even if we disagree with POTC canon, I think it is necessary to add at least a couple of events (not the comics though, I find them, as well as the Young Jack Sparrow rubbish, irrelevant). We don't have to get into too much depth on POTCO and such, but we should probably briefly cover some stuff so Jack will have SOMETHING to do during that year.

I don't think we necessarily need to keep the player occupied for a full game year. After all, there's several sidequests involving the pirate lords that are optional.
We could argue that those are what the "REAL" Jack Sparrow would've done, but the player doesn't necessarily have to. Even though that might lead to non-movie twists later on.
In any case, I reckon most players would be quite willing to get to the DMC story as soon as possible, as long as there's something plausible between the end of CotBP and DMC.

As far as the sources for our game's story go, we've only really used the actual films and the information from the scriptwriters on what happened prior to CotBP.
Pretty much everything else is based on our own ideas, including the Pirates of the Caribbean: Hoist the Colours story (eg. our own unfinished movie script).

If Dawriter is interested, he could turn those ideas into a sidequest titled The Conclave or something. If he wants to add Jolly Roger, he could make a sidequest called Jolly Roger's War or something like that, so that the player doesen't HAVE to do it if he/she wants to continue onto DMC, but has the option to play some canon quests.

i wouldnt mind do the sidequests and i agree with peter boelen with the player actually wanting to start dmc as soon as possible. the only problem is that someone needs to code it into the game with alot of spare time. and ive never heard of the jolly roger but i think that the conclave would be a good quest after cotbp and just before dmc

If you'd like to do the coding, we'd definitely help you figure things out. Most people who did our storyline writing didn't know how it worked to begin with, but learned along the way. :yes

Jolly Roger, not overall the most interesting character in the POTC franchise, but I think he'd make a good villain for a sidequest,

http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/Jolly_Roger

And Pieter is right, when I started my storyline, I didn't have a clue with what I was doing, then after I started, It got easier and I began to figure stuff out for myself. It is also rather fun if you get the hang of it.

:onya i could definately use some help with coding and jolly rodger would definatley be a good villan. i have spare time on the weekends and holidays are coming up so i could do a storyline for the sidequest

I'd recommend with starting out to see if anything in the code files make any sense to you. Here is the Jack Sparrow storyline files: PROGRAM\Storyline\LegendJackSparrow\quests

kk ill have time in the afternoon to have a look at it and post back asap but ive already been on it when i had trouble with cutler beckett not appearing and i understood the format of the file and i found my way to fix the probelm (with the help of pirates ahoy)

That's definitely a good start. Then what Captain Maggee did to start out is to copy a sidequest from the Standard storyline and adapt it to become a Jack Sparrow sidequest.
That way you learn without having to start from scratch.

Personally I'd suggest not doing too much work on side stuff such as Jolly Roger though, since there's still so much work to do on three more films. :shock

Jolly Roger's Quest doesn't have to be long. It could start out with you meeting him (at the moment, he is a human) and his witch doctor friend in Tortuga tavern and he challenges you to a game of cards, wagering your position as a pirate lord. You win no matter what, and you witness Roger shoot his friend out of frustration, and as he dies, he puts a curse on Roger, turning him into the undead and even creating a new faction (Undead Legion). At one point, the navy could find Jack and put him in prison as well as seize the Pearl. In prison, you meet Blackbeard and Captain Richard "Rex" Gunshot who help you escape. You meet Teague on a small ship that picks you up and you return to Tortuga where you speak to Rex and Blackbeard again and they think you double crossed them (as the ship you told them to use to escape the prison was attacked by one of Jolly Roger's ships). Rex decides to help retake the Pearl by rallying the crew, while you plan on leading the War against Jolly Roger. Blackbeard decides that he has had enough, and returns to the Queen Anne's Revenge (some foreshadowing to OST). You go to the port where you meet Annamaria who agrees to let you sail with her on her sloop as her temporary first mate. You sail to the Turks where you learn that Roger has built an outpost. You speek with Pieter Bolean who hires you to rid the undead scourge from his island. You go inland with some of his men and attack the outpost. You heard that one of his Generals has landed on Cuba at one of the Beaches, and you go there to stop him, initiating a duel. Annamaria suggests to make for Havana, where you end up going. After waiting in the tavern, you learn that Rex has succesfully retook the Pearl. You return to Tortuga and you get the ship back. After sailing around for a month, you learn that Norrington has prepared an expidition to capture you. He follows you into a hurricane where you engage in a battle with the Dauntless (If you win, Norrington resigns his commision because of the embarresement like he states in DMC) After sailing around a little more, you come across Jolly Roger who attacks your ship. If you board and duel him, he dies, naturally, and you have a choice to keep his unique cursed flushdeck frigate.

I agree with Pieter, you should focus on the roots of DMC before you begin the sidequests.

What you could do for the conclave could be more simple. First off, it would make sense if it can only trigger if you complete the pirate lord quests first (as it would be somewhat strange to have 2 Chevalles, or a couple of Jocards).

The Quest itself can initiate by talking to Thomas Tipman at Tortuga who tells you that Teague wishes to speak to you at Havana. When you arrive in port, you are arrested by Spaniards who take you to prison. There you meet Teague who you break out with and run into the jungle. He arranges for a transport to take you to Port Royal where he originaly had to rendevouz with Tia Dalma, but you must go in his place. Once in Port Royal, you must find Tia who tells you that the time has come to arrange a conclave of pirates to free Calypso (her) and the first is in Port Royal. She also says that you will need someone local to help you get to the fort where Capitan Jaques Chevalle is to be hanged. Go to the tavern and ask about where Will is, and fight some thugs. British redcoats come and you must fight them before making your way to the Blacksmith where Will is being held hostage by an evil pirate who you are forced to duel. You and Will go to Fort Charles where you lay a special timed explosive that Tia Dalma gives you and rescue Chevalle's crew that is being held in the blockhouse (without running into the soldiers who will surely sound the alarm). After the explosion and the deaths of the British regiment, you free Chevalle who you tell to go to Shipwreck Cove. Will says that they will most likely go after him next as he aided and abbedded a pirate (this is what affected what was on his arrest warrant from DMC) and will hide out in the shop until his wedding day. Return to port where Tia Dalma says that there are five more pirate lords to be found and where they were last seen (Captain Eduardo Villeineuva: Tortuga, Mistress Jai-Qing Ching: Tortuga, Sri Sumphagee Angaria: Puerto Rico, Ammand the Corsair: Bonaire, Gentleman Gombo Jocard: Cayman) and you barter your way off of Port Royal with smugglers who fire a few rounds at the docks so you can sneak aboard. Since Ching and Eduardo are both at Tortuga, the next time you go there, you go into the Brothel and fight some Chinease and Spanish pirates before engaging in a duel with Villeinueva outside. The two are then convinced to go to Shipwreck Cove. Sumphagee will be said to have a price on his head and is hiding out in an old house. One of his men is in the tavern and tells you that he may consider going to the Cove if you go to his rival's house and kill him so he can get out of town without fear of getting jumped. When you go to Bonaire, Ammand has gotten lost in the catacomb dungeon and you must find him. When you go to Cayman, Jocard's colleage says that his ship hasen't arrived yet and you offer to go and find him, despite the coming storm. You find Jocard washed up on a deserted isle after you are tossed from your ship, and you must fight Black Bart so you can free him. He then fixes his ship and goes to the conclave and you are rescued by the Pearl. Once back in Tortuga, Teague pays you 100,000 pieces of gold as well as a new brig to do use as you wish.

this is what i shall do:
i will write the script up for jolly roger (on notepad) send it to pieter or magee or whomever to check. they will assess it (if they have time) tell me what/if to improve. then i do the exact same for the conclave which will be accessed if done all of pirate lord quests. after jolly roger is defeated and the bretheren rallied DMC will start. the two sidequest shall be short but have very rewarding prises so that the palyer wouldnt mind playing it and would be entertained :onya

I don't want to read about Jolly Roger though. Unless my character gets to KILL the CRAP out of him and he stays dead afterwards. But I don't think that's the general idea. :wp

Why don't you try, say, a Mistress Ching sidequest or so? A small one that resembles the sidequest of another storyline so you can do a lot of copy-paste.

I don't want to read about Jolly Roger though. Unless my character gets to KILL the CRAP out of him and he stays dead afterwards. But I don't think that's the general idea. :wp

Why don't you try, say, a Mistress Ching sidequest or so? A small one that resembles the sidequest of another storyline so you can do a lot of copy-paste.

i remember the hard labour of an assassin on the standard so i might do the misstress ching sidequest based on that. ill start working on it on thursday. im really busy today :mm but it should be fun!

Don't worry, something tells me that he will kill off Jolly pretty quickly. And then after Jolly is dead, the little son of a wench will STAY dead hopefully, right? (You are planning on being able to kill him, right?) And then, we can enjoy our nice "cool wHip" (emphesis on the H)

I don't know why, I just felt as if I had to say that.

i remember the hard labour of an assassin on the standard so i might do the misstress ching sidequest based on that. ill start working on it on thursday. im really busy today :mm but it should be fun!

How about instead of Mistress Ching, the guy who gives you your assassin quests is Master Ching, and, just like when you kill that Santa Muertos who kinda looks like Beltrop (why is that?), you kill Master Ching instead which is why his wife takes over and seems to kinda dislike you (Jack) in AWE.

Back