• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How Do You Start Modding

NikkiSparks

Sailor Apprentice
Hi
I am a big fan of the game, I have been following the mods since build 13,and I would like to help as I have allot of free time, I modded/changed the original base game to my own specifications, however it wasn’t too complicated Is it possible to help with texture art or coding or anything for new horizons build 14.

Welcome to the forum, mate! I hope you'll have a great stay here! :woot
Your help would certainly be much appreciated!
We can use all the help we can get!

Usually, we let people decide what they want to do for themselves.
For your information though, at the moment we're more interested in trying to get things finished
and improving existing content, rather than adding much more new stuff.
Reason being, the modpack size is already huge and adding too much new content doesn't help with that. ;)
Of course if you come up with good new content, we'll not be able to resist adding it anyway. :razz

If you have experience with coding, we could definitly use some help in that department.
Otherwise, there's also plenty of texture and model work we could come up with.
Here's some examples:
- I still need some Kraken tentacle models for when we get to the Dead Man's Chest quest
- Retexturing the "Hooker1" to the British Royal Navy black-and-yellow colour scheme (suggested to me by Snow White Sorrow)
- Taking an existing ship model and adding a smoke stack on top and paddlewheels on the side
(would be fun to experiment with steamers in the last time period, no?)

Of course you are completely free to do what you want when you want it.
So please let us know where your interests lie and we'll point you in the right direction. :yes

Basically you strum a few notes (an idea) and string them together for a song (develop the idea) :3

New Horizons is so huge that you can just find a little corner to work on in peace! And there are lots of things that benefit from improved detail too.

Awesome. Unfortunately I don’t have any experience at coding but I
Do have at texture and model work so I would like to do that.
But what software will I need to do so? And when I have completed
A few models what should I do with them?also what’s "Inez Dias' Tool"?

I'm not a coder myself, but I can manipulate finished code to give a more refined result (such as ship handling, weapons configs, dialogues and text descriptors). All that's required is Notepad and a bit of time to figure out what goes where.

I'm pretty new myself ; Pieter will fill you in on the modelling requirements.

Have a look at the Tools, Tutorials and Information thread.
Ines Diaz' TOOL can be found there; it's a program that allows doing all sorts of things with the game's model files.
It's really quite useful, but does also have it's limitations. It works great with modifying models (adding stuff/moving parts)
within the program, but not for fully new models or actual remodeling.
Maya + plugin is what you need for that. I already gave you all required links for that.

If I may provide a suggestion, try to begin simple.
If it's ship modeling you want to do, start with reskinning an existing ship.
We know exactly how to do that and can thus help you properly.
See the "Hooker1" suggestion in my previous post.

Then maybe you could try to rerig some ships, which will get you to work with Ines Dias' TOOL
and give you more knowledge ont he way the ships' rigging works with locators.
Snow White Sorrow has some requests in this department if you're unsure on what you could do.

Once you're comfortable with how that works, you could try my other suggestion:
taking an existing ship and adding some more detail, eg. a smoke stack and paddlewheel.
We've got a pretty good idea how that works also, so still can provide lots of help.

When you want to make a ship from scratch, it does become a lot more complicated.
There's only a very few people here who really know how that works and they haven't been very active lately.
These people will surely be willing to help you, but it'd help for you if you have got a better knowledge of the basics first.
You could get that by doing the other three things I suggested above.

I downloaded Ines Diaz' TOOL from Tools, Tutorials and Information-mirror 2
but it is just called tool, what do i open it with???

It is indeed just called that. It is a RAR file.
Open with WinRAR, new versions of WinZIP or 7-Zip.
Personally I don't like RAR files; maybe we should change that one day.

If you would start with reskinning a ship as I suggested, you'll need mainly:
- GM Viewer
- HEX Editor
- Any texturing program that can open TGA files, such as Photoshop or "The Gimp"

Here's some rigging-related things that I said to Snow White Sorrow before and thought could maybe help you too:
There is all sorts of seperate GM (=model) files in a ship's folder (RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships).
For example, the hull and each mast and yardarm is it's own seperate GM file.
You can view these files with the GM Viewer. Note that they will never be shown all at once by the viewer;
only the game itself does that.

To get a general idea of how ship models work in this game, get the GM Viewer and use it to view all files of one ship.
Turn on the "Show labels" and "Show locators" boxes at the bottom left before doing this.
You will notice "named spots" showing up now, which are called "locators". These have special purposes,
such as defining where the cannons are, where the masts are and where the ropes go.

I agree with Pieter: start with someting limited.
And Snow White Sorrow: you don't have to be a coder to get things to happen by using existing code.
My first mod was only some cannon sounds. :boom

My first mod is a little ambitious considering say, 150 ships to review, each with their own unique quirks? :3

where should i get pre-made ship modles from to start texture art with,
should i use the ones from the base game? also can i use adobe photoshop and GIMP

You can retexture any model, from stock POTC or later added.
I use Adobe Photoshop. Pieter said yes to "GIMP" - don't know what it is.
You will also need the TX-converter. Converts from .TX (ingame) to .TGA for ex. And back again. :sail

where should i get pre-made ship modles from to start texture art with,
should i use the ones from the base game?
You can reskin any ship that is currently in the game.
My suggestion: Try to give the "Hooker1" a British Royal Navy black-and-white skin,
because Snow White Sorrow could put that to good use.

How to do it?
1. Use the GM Viewer to find out which texture file from RESOURCE\Textures\Ships is used by the boat you want to reskin
2. Use the TX Converter to convert this file from TGA.TX to TGA
3. Use an image editing program that can open TGA files to modify this texture file
4. Convert the TGA file back to TGA.TX with the TX Converter, overwriting the existing file
5. You're done! The ship now has another colour! :onya

also can i use adobe photoshop and GIMP
As per my previous post:
If you would start with reskinning a ship as I suggested, you'll need mainly:
- GM Viewer
- HEX Editor
- Any texturing program that can open TGA files, such as Photoshop or "The Gimp"
So, yes. :yes

"You can reskin any ship that is currently in the game" - should i install the base game and mods to get the hooker 1 modle?

The "Hooker1" is part of Build 14 Alpha 10.
You would need to have that game version installed to have it.
But I thought you already did use Build 14 Alpha 10?

Well most importantly, don't rush - be comfortable with the (game) environment. Wishes for changes tend to come naturally...

The "Hooker1" is part of Build 14 Alpha 10.
You would need to have that game version installed to have it.
But I thought you already did use Build 14 Alpha 10?
i do have build 14 alpha 10, but i am using a differant pc, so i will install it on here today
and i will start the hooker 1 reskining.

Cheers, mate! Let us know if you need some additional help on how to do it.
And of course you don't HAVE to reskin that boat; that's just a suggestion of ours.
Feel free to come up with your own ideas on what to do though. :doff

Nikkisparks said:
is there any way to get the hooker1 file with out installing alpha 10
I could upload the model and texture files if you want.

Nikkisparks said:
as there is something wrong with my base game and i cant install it, so i wont be able to install any of the mods.
What is wrong with your base game?
Don't you have a working installation of Build 14 Alpha 10 somewhere?
If so, stick that game folder on an external HD and you can put tha on any other computer you want.
No installation necessary. :cheeky

im not shure what is wrong with the base game, it installes to about 20% and then crashes to desktop,
could you upload the files for me? ... please

Back