• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How is it progressing?

I dunno, how hard would it be to set the start time for those two side quests to after you talk to Beltrop? The Main quest is not broken and the side quests should work fine with no warnings needed.

that could work. but it would make claire's quest rather easily missed, i'd imagine, unless she tells you that she doesn't want to start the quest yet, so you at least know she has one.

What, you're going to miss some pretty girl who suddenly starts showing up in the tavern? :))

well, grenada is kinda out of the way. though i do think you need to go there once after you pass brock's appearance in the main quest, and there's plenty of other oppertunities. thing is, she might be an ordinary NPC to the player. i know i hardly ever talk to them. but that's really just the problem of so many NPC's appearing in the game now that it's simply impossible to talk to all of them. i wouldn't have discovered Rys Bloom's side quest if i hadn't played the stock game first, and there might be a few quest which i've never even played, simply because the quest NPC's are drowned out by the ordinary townspeople.

in short, claire's just not findable in an obvious enough place, really.

or actually, wasn't there a guy who'd tell you about her being in the tavern? that could be a good lead. his dialogue might need some tweaking though, since the situation would have changed.

It's pretty easy to add rumours to the ordinary town folk dialogs.

Talking to the townfolk is a big part of the game. Many only give you directions and trading suggestions, but others sell treasure quests, nice weapons, teach you better skills(that is a big one for me), and just by talking a lot to some you get your leadership and luck built up.

Now you have me wondering if you know about Toff's daughter, or Angelique Moulin's father. Have you seen Bartolomeu O' Portaguese? Then there is Fred Bob, Baldewin Coffier, Artois Voisey, Elizabeth Shaw, and who knows who I'm forgetting? Oh! Mr. Gibbs. :wp There are 3 or 4 little stories on Martinique alone.

yes, i know those, although i'm not sure about moulin there. the name rings a bell, but i don't think i've ever done the quest. is it the martinique shopkeeper? i've been following the quests when they came out, so i've been able to memorise them quite well. however, those NPC's often catch your eye because they're standing still. normal NPC's don't do that. speaking of which, it might be better if Rys Bloom would be standing still as well.
actually, claire is probably not going to be much of a problem once the player notices she's consistently in the tavern, instead of a single occurence. but how often do you still go to that island? i dunno. claire does have dialogue for when the player doesn't meet her requierements though, so maybe that'll be of some help.

speaking of quests on martinique, the tiny sidepath regarding the female member of the blaque family seems to be broken. i'm sure you could chew out orable for stalking her, but i can no longer seem to trigger that optional part of the quest.

the whole point is that i know where the quests are, because i found them before things got way more complicated. a new player won't be so lucky.

Angelique Moulin is standing in the town square. Sometimes. She is never there the 1st time I visit Hispaniola, but is there on the 2nd or 3rd visit. It's a good one that has you going through the fort. :ixi

As a merchant I get sent to Grenada quite often. It seems to be a trading hub. It is a good place to visit because it has Barbados just 2 days away in one direction and Bonaire just 2 days away in the other. Plus that is where one gets their firearms repaired.

The Blaque girl? Do you talk to Turpin? That one always works for me.

I don't even bother with the NH quest anymore, and just wander around doing the side quests.

Angelique Moulin should be walking arround Port au Prince Town, Hispaniola - I think you need to be at least level 15 for her to appear. ( like several other side-quests where you need to be a certain level before they are triggered )

I think the problem with Claire Larrouse is that the characters used for her crew ( quest_pirate_01 and quest_smuggler_01 ) are also used in the main quest

I think quest_smuggler_01 is the guy who takes you to Beltrop and quest_pirate_01 takes you to meet Pirate leader Alistair Garcilaso when you are looking for Silehards traesure .

If they get killed in the Claire Larrouse quest then I think it causes problems when they are recreated for the Main Quest.

Probably the simplest solution would be to create 2 new unique characters ( say Claires_Pirate_01 and Claires_smuggler_01 ) using the same models etc for Claires crew, -- might have to copy some dialog files etc -- this would then remove the conflicts between the side quest and the main story.

:doff

the whole point is that i know where the quests are, because i found them before things got way more complicated. a new player won't be so lucky.

As a new player to all this added mod content, all i can say is i love discovering new things! So i don't have a problem with out of the way, hard to find quest lines at all - infact that is a huge bonus over the stock game imho. I'll find them all eventually, even if i'm playing PotC for the next few months :)

If they get killed in the Claire Larrouse quest then I think it causes problems when they are recreated for the Main Quest.

This is the kind of thing i do worry about, although i suspect if a key character is accidently killed, say by a pirate brawl kicking off in a town, then they probably get reset/respawned once you leave and return to the area? I've seen this happen to stall traders, so i figure the same trick is used for key quest npcs?

Currently i'm trying to clear up the main dialogues, i can see some people have been having fun, but there are little inconsitances all over the place.

Oh and i've been thinking about the relationship between the player character and Malcolm Hatcher. The original games premise was that you knew each other quite well, maybe even sailed together with him as your boatswain.

That never did sit that well with the tutorial, in which he has to teach you all the basics you should already know, given this assumed past together? Anyway i've been experimenting with some slightly different dialogues, which set you up properly as a new person to the Caribbean, and new to Malcolm also(so he introduces himself as Malcolm Hatcher right from the start), which hopefully gives the whole tutorial a better foundation, so it's more like ship orientation, from your new boatswain, Malcolm hatcher. I'll give it to Pieter sometime to try out and see what he thinks.

Currently i'm just playing(and replaying!) on one PC, while keeping the dialogue files to hand on another PC, so when i come across something that reads a little out of place, or is a simple error, i can quickly edit the correction, or make a note if i'm not sure where the specific dialogue is in a file. It's much easier to catch things this way, as simply looking through the dialogues in notepad++ etc can make you miss stuff!! Like i did in the recent files i gave to Pieter to put in the next patch ;)

Oh one question, where can i slow down character progression, as in the points that are gained to enable a level up of you char? I think the sailing bonus is too generous, i can gain a few levels just by sailing around in direct sail mode for 30mins or so!(it seems). I've checked all the 'advanced options' in the game menu, and looked through InternalSettings.h, but haven't been able to pinpoint the maths behind the various skills and their usage and leveling up?

I just did Claire Larrouse last night and her crew died right away. Lasted about 10 seconds. :ko One would think that main characters would respawn ok. Mark Blacque was recently killed in a town brawl and came back as a different character so that quest could continue. Seeing that I then killed the beggar at the gate and he came back with a new name also. Why would Claire's crew not do that also?

I'm used to non English speakers trying to use English, so the butchery is not a problem to me. Cleaning up the dialogues is a job that has been needed for a long time to give the game some polish.

Black Bart: You are advancing too quickly? I start at "shwashbuckler" level in realistic mode. Then I only use the normal mechanical devices to help me, like the compass, clock, doctor's kit, etc.. It really slows down the speed at which you advance and makes the game much more interesting. All of those "lucky charms" should be removed from the game IMO. Or at least have a few zeros added to their price. Sailing is the skill where I advance the slowest, about the same speed as grappling. :drunk

Oh, in "options", "advanced options" try setting the "skills-up bonus" to 10%.

it's quite possible that the game doesn't always properly ressurect quest NPC's. they might be back, but that doesn't mean it works right again. this game has often refused to follow logic.

sailing skill training speed really shouldn't be lowered. many skills go up deceptively quick at first, but they'll bottom out eventually long before they max. melee skill is what goes up too fast for me, often reaching 10 while the next skill in line is at 4 or 5.

i once offered the idea of removing the tutorial from the original main quest and making a seperate main quest entirely, which would then function as the tutorial. it would allow for a completely optional tutorial of limitless length and scope. the player could also have the option to pick what he wants to practice, if every skill would have a seperate side quest to choose from. the latter would be especially handy if the player just wants to go over something particular because he doesn't quite get it, but knows the rest of the game.

Black Bart: You are advancing too quickly? I start at "shwashbuckler" level in realistic mode. Then I only use the normal mechanical devices to help me, like the compass, clock, doctor's kit, etc.. It really slows down the speed at which you advance and makes the game much more interesting. All of those "lucky charms" should be removed from the game IMO. Or at least have a few zeros added to their price. Sailing is the skill where I advance the slowest, about the same speed as grappling. :drunk

Oh, in "options", "advanced options" try setting the "skills-up bonus" to 10%.

Yes i did the advanced options skill up bonus = 10%. Although in 'BuildSettings.h' it shows the value as '35', so i'm guessing this file is for the default game settings, then you change those settings through the ingame 'advanced options'?

Possibly it is down to the difficulty level, my chars leveling up too quick - my first few games have mostly been at apprentice or journeyman level, so maybe the XP given out is much more generous on lower difficulty settings? Which would make sense. I agree we need more expensive stuff in general. The trade model for cargo is pretty tight it seems, as tight as you get in these kind of games, but yeah i'd suggest looking at some of the prices for some of the items, maps also(although they are more for fun than huge functionality, even if knowing a harbour point in a little more detail is good!) as you can buy a whole set for a couple thousand, which is not much in relation to cargo profits.

Do we have a 'tax' system in the game(as in a portion of trade profit going to the local nations coffers, this % could vary from nation to nation, and be a further incentive to deal with the smugglers and pirates)? maybe a harbour master tarif for each night spent in dock also?

sailing skill training speed really shouldn't be lowered. many skills go up deceptively quick at first, but they'll bottom out eventually long before they max. melee skill is what goes up too fast for me, often reaching 10 while the next skill in line is at 4 or 5.

Ok this is on journeyman level(my current game start). When i leave Speightstown i'm level 1, but by the time i arrive at Jamaica(i do one trade stop at La Granada, still level 1, maybe 2 when i leave) i'm level 4, all from sailing, even if i'm not the main navigator, and even if i do most of the journey(90%) on the world map, where XP for sailing isn't given 'by the hour' as it is in 3D sailing. xD: I waited for a couple of pirates to leave the port area of La Granada, and just by sitting there with all sails struck for about 35 mins real time, i gained lots of XP and one level!!!

So that's what i'm thinking about. I suppose if you just fast travel everywhere(via world map, right into harbour) then it might not seem such an issue, so i'll need to see if the difficulty level reduces the XP dished out while at sea, if so then i'll just have to grow a pair and start playing on the hardest difficulty settings :sail:

--------------------------------------------------------

In general i'm seeing a lot of messed up dialogue just around the main quest, shop keepers/Taverns etc. Missing text for a line of conversation or even confusion over who is speaking when, so i've seen my line getting confused with a tavern keepers(Duarte Correja in La Granada) so i call myself by my own name, which should have been part of his line, then his follow up makes no real sense. So i can see people have been getting confused simply going through these texts in notepad++, without keeping a record of what exactly has been changed, which then makes it hard to go back and correct a mistake etc. On top of that many of these conversations for the shops/taverns etc do not appear in '....Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean\PROGRAM\DIALOGS', which is where you can see the previous working ones i think? I've yet to find where the changed dialogs are! But i'll find them eventually.

And i'm pretty sure those white clutter effects on the screen are due to ships losing masts, i've only seen it after that has happened, and it probably is mixed in with the changing flags thing also, as you sometimes see bits of flag in the clutter, mostly white surrender flag bits? Also if you look very close to your ships flags(so from the external view), and try to line up the end edge of your top mast flag so you are looking 'up-wind' towards it and then the mast, if you move the camera around to get the right angle, you can see a ghost line. It's not very long, maybe the thickness of the flag, or a bit more and just a single faint line that flickers every now and then. I wonder what that is and what effect it might have on the clutter thing; if these lines are maybe being drawn quite often - is their a routine in the flag code to clear these up? Just looking for possibilities here on this :)

On top of that many of these conversations for the shops/taverns etc do not appear in '....Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean\PROGRAM\DIALOGS', which is where you can see the previous working ones i think? I've yet to find where the changed dialogs are! But i'll find them eventually.

Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean\PROGRAM\DIALOGS' -- this is where the original dialog files are ( also used for default files if nothing in storyline folder )

From Build 14 each story also has its own folder in PROGRAM \ Storyline where there is a dialog folder for that story -- so if you are playing the Standard ( Nathaniel Hawk ) story a lot of the dialog files will be in PROGRAM \ Storyline \ Standard \ DIALOGS.

:cheers

Don't touch buildsettings.h. You can mess things up in there. I did anyway. :wp

Here is where I'm at in the game I'm playing today. It is in realistic mode and shwashbuckler difficulty. My sailing skill wouldn't be as high as it is if I hadn't stumbled across a teacher, which bumped it up quite a bit. Still looking for someone to teach me defense. :sad
I see the difficulty levels like this: Apprentice level is very easy and is ok for your very first game and elementary school age kids. Then there is a big jump and the next two levels are pretty much the same. Then comes the last level. Everything costs more and you get less when you sell things. Your opponents aren't tougher, but they have more health points. But mostly, if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all. :j3 But it is still too easy to advance quickly, so I don't use any "magical" stuff. Just the mechanical aids. That makes for a smoother progression, but it also means a lot of time spent in the smaller ships lurking around the edges of battles looking for surrendered ships to salvage. :j2

We are pretty sure that the graphical anomalies are caused by the flags mod, but no one knows how to fix it.

Probably the simplest solution would be to create 2 new unique characters ( say Claires_Pirate_01 and Claires_smuggler_01 ) using the same models etc for Claires crew, -- might have to copy some dialog files etc -- this would then remove the conflicts between the side quest and the main story.
You could probably get away with solely copying their character init files, changing their ID and using the different ID in the sidequest.
I reckon there's no dialog file adjustments needed. Might be a pretty simple fix in that case.

Anyway i've been experimenting with some slightly different dialogues, which set you up properly as a new person to the Caribbean, and new to Malcolm also(so he introduces himself as Malcolm Hatcher right from the start), which hopefully gives the whole tutorial a better foundation, so it's more like ship orientation, from your new boatswain, Malcolm hatcher. I'll give it to Pieter sometime to try out and see what he thinks.
That sounds great; looking forward to it! :onya

Oh one question, where can i slow down character progression, as in the points that are gained to enable a level up of you char? I think the sailing bonus is too generous, i can gain a few levels just by sailing around in direct sail mode for 30mins or so!(it seems). I've checked all the 'advanced options' in the game menu, and looked through InternalSettings.h, but haven't been able to pinpoint the maths behind the various skills and their usage and leveling up?
Early in the game, you get a deliberate "excessive" amount of XP for anything you do, but this stops after level 5 or so.
The reason is so that you can specialize quickly in something or other. So if you sail around a lot early in the game, that's what your main skill will be for most of the rest of the game until you slowly develop some more.
That was the general idea anyway...

Does anyone have any plans to add any elements from new POTC- On Stranger Tides to future mods?- Mermaids, Zombies, Blackbeard, Fountain of Youth? It would naturally take a lot of time to mod but would be cool? :j2

Just asking :yoho

Yes I have already added some Blackbeard touch in the WoodesRogers Quest (soon to be released), but not from the new POTC movie.

Cool, mate!

At the moment there's no particular plans, so it might be a while. We still have to code in DMC and AWE as well... :?

Back