• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ideas for the future!

Hey guys I have and idea for dutchman. When I get this ship the game is to easy so the ability to sail agains the wind I think must be a temporany. And can be activated from ability menu when a enemy its going to escape us not to sail all time agains wind only when its activated from menu like craken.. (Sorry for my english)

I know, that you get only the 4-pounders if you start with the Dutchman, and I'm certainly sure that this also goes for when you buy her.
EVERY starting ship has 4-pounders due to this line of code in PROGRAM\Characters\characters_init.c:
Code:
ch.Ship.Cannons.Type = CANNON_TYPE_LONG_LBS4;
But when you buy her, you keep the cannon type that you had on your previous ship.
If you installed bigger cannons first, you'll get those.

Do we want that you always start with 4lbs canons? Personally I kind-of like it, because I don't want the player to start out too good.
That is also the reason why yesterday I removed the random ship upgrades you sometimes get when you start the game.
Also, the Hornblower storyline assumes you start with 4lbs cannons, so that would need to be rewritten if we change it.

Hey guys I have and idea for dutchman. When I get this ship the game is to easy so the ability to sail agains the wind I think must be a temporany. And can be activated from ability menu when a enemy its going to escape us not to sail all time agains wind only when its activated from menu like craken.. (Sorry for my english)
As far as I remember from both the real myth and PotC 2, the Flying Dutchman is famous for sailing against the wind.
We could change it into a temporary speed burst like the Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge have, but then the Dutchman ALWAYS being able to sail into the wind wouldn't be special anymore. :facepalm

As far as I remember from both the real myth and PotC 2, the Flying Dutchman is famous for sailing against the wind.
We could change it into a temporary speed burst like the Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge have, but then the Dutchman ALWAYS being able to sail into the wind wouldn't be special anymore. :facepalm
Aha ok :) but get you guys to put a harder way to get it like a nearly imposible quest. Not only just to buy it on that island. The dutchman its not a ship can be buyed it has no price ;)

Well the Flying Dutchman's cannons are already only shown as "Carronade" in the ship-interface... why not doing that for Vanderdecken, too?
Just as a little joke, I changed them into "Navarone Carronade". That doesn't display at all in the Shipyard Interface, but does work in the F2>Ship one. :rofl

Maybe we can ask Cassadar if he does a nice interface-image, which with you will notice that these are no normal cannons.
That would indeed be a good idea, I reckon.

Also, can we put a description in the place were the reload-time and gunpowder are enlisted?
I'd prefer not doing that; would require more figuring out. :facepalm

Aha ok :) but get you guys to put a harder way to get it like a nearly imposible quest. Not only just to buy it on that island. The dutchman its not a ship can be buyed it has no price ;)
The reason for her being available from Vanderdecken, together with all other special ships, is so people who want her DO have an easy way of getting her.
If we make it too hard, people will complain. We could make her more expensive though. She's quite a bit cheaper than the HMS Victory. :facepalm

EVERY starting ship has 4-pounders due to this line of code in PROGRAM\Characters\characters_init.c:
Code:
ch.Ship.Cannons.Type = CANNON_TYPE_LONG_LBS4;
But when you buy her, you keep the cannon type that you had on your previous ship.
If you installed bigger cannons first, you'll get those.

Do we want that you always start with 4lbs canons? Personally I kind-of like it, because I don't want the player to start out too good.
That is also the reason why yesterday I removed the random ship upgrades you sometimes get when you start the game.
Also, the Hornblower storyline assumes you start with 4lbs cannons, so that would need to be rewritten if we change it.
Would an if-clause possible here? Then we could keep it for normal ships but bypass it with FD, Black Pearl and Queen Anne's :)

We don't have to limit these to the Flying Dutchman only, do we? But we could have the Dutchman be equipped with them by default.
Just hope that you never have to face her in battle! :shock
Well, that would be nearly impossible without these cannons, too :D remember that the FD has 10.000 HP :D
The new cannons would only help to end it faster :D

Would an if-clause possible here? Then we could keep it for normal ships but bypass it with FD, Black Pearl and Queen Anne's :)
That wouldn't be pretty coding. In that case, I'd prefer setting all ships to use the cannons defined for them in ships_init.c and adjusting the Hornblower storyline to still make sense.

Still, the Flying Dutchman shouldn't be showing up as a starting ship options at the moment anyway.
Yes, I know you can convince the code to let you select her anyway, but that is a bug in and of itself.
On the other hand, I was intending to eventually allow selection of ANY starting ship if the cheatmode is ON.
But we're not there yet; first we have to get the existing stuff to do what it was meant to. :wp

Well, that would be nearly impossible without these cannons, too :D remember that the FD has 10.000 HP :D
The new cannons would only help to end it faster :D
There is the First Contact (Elizabeth Shaw’s Disappearance) sidequest where you DO encounter the Flying Dutchman and you're supposed to avoid her and survive.

well, the ships still have their proper cannon-settings :yes . I will try if the game becomes to easy then ;)
There is the First Contact (Elizabeth Shaw’s Disappearance) sidequest where you DO encounter the Flying Dutchman and you're supposed to avoid her and survive.
What? o_O well, then you should have either a fast ship or many chains on board :D

The only way to survive that battle is to concentrate on its sails and then sail away.

The same goes for the Black Pearl. Shoot the sails and run away.

Well if the story for Jack Sparrow will be there, I guess we need a stronger Pearl.. Wait.. Does the uncursed Pearl (so the 'last' one) have also 10.000 HP?
Also there are only two encounters between the FD and the Pearl:
The one with "I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt" :D , where they only escape, which is still possible because the Pearl is still faster than the Dutchman.
And the final fight at the end of PotC 3, but they are more grappling than shooting^^ So you would need to survive 1 or 2 salvos... which is rather impossible with a normal hull :D
So if we really manage it to get this far in the story... We would either need a new Black Pearl, which isn't cursed but has nevertheless many HP or edit the existing one uncursed Pearl :shrug

Well if the story for Jack Sparrow will be there, I guess we need a stronger Pearl.. Wait.. Does the uncursed Pearl (so the 'last' one) have also 10.000 HP?
No, she doesn't. Even if you capture the cursed Black Pearl at the end of the Standard storyline, there is code in place to un-curse her so YOU don't get an uber-powerful ship.

I thought so, too...
Well.. There are solutions at any rate, so let's discuss that if we are at this point^^
At the moment, it is enough to know that you can escape from the FD by breaking her masts. Also, I think a heavy SotL would survive long enough to capture her (I think the stock-PotC Man'o'War need 3-4 perfect hitting salvos), and the FD has not that much crew. I think that is good for now, because it should be nearly impossible to defeat the Flying Dutchman :whipa

a short question: Like I said, I managed that the music stops if the Dutchman emerges. But if the emerge-sound gets played, you don't hear any other sounds.. not because of the Volume, but because the game just doesn't play them o_O Is this only my bad soundcard or does the game really restricts the soundeffects to 1 at a time?

Is that with or without that pause sounds like you added?
Indeed I noticed that I wouldn't get the sound a second time if I submerge/emerge again while it is playing.

Well that is a good affect.. But I am missing the cannon-sounds, when I shoot during the playing of the sound. :(
I think that is without the PauseAllSounds, too.

We may have to look into making it play through the MUSIC code.
I put it on my To-Do list, but first I have to fix those weapon-less pirates. :facepalm

Three things you can try:
PlayStereoOGG(string name)
SetMusicAlarm("music_usa_town");
SetMusic(main_theme_name);

Back