• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Improve the Crewmembers on Shore Mod

I think the problem is that if all the crewmembers ashore are killed - players can forget that they have asked them to come ashore and wonder why all these additional encounters are happening the next time they go ashore since they have no crewmembers with them. ( players can forget during the time it takes to sail from one island to another that they have activated this mod)
I understood the problem, yes. That is why I was thinking of allowing the crew on deck to have a "stop this mod" dialog option as well.
But then you still have to remember, so that may not quite be good enough. :facepalm

Would it be possible - if all the crewmembers ashore are killed - then the next time the player goes ashore they are replaced by another group - so that the players knows that they still have these guys with them and will have the extra encounters until they tell these guys to get lost ( either ashore or on ship).
The way it works is that when a crewmember is killed ashore, one of your ship crew is taken away too.
If you want more, you have to return to your ship ask for it.

"Automatically replacing them" is certainly possible, but then where would those crewmembers logically come from?
And how big of a group? The game doesn't store the amount you originally asked for, because some can die and you can get more during the game from the extra encounters too.
So the number may change all the time.

It would be easy enough to have a "minimum number of 1" though so you always keep one crewmember to talk to.
Effectively that would appear like an immortal crewmember though even if your ship crew does keep decreasing as the guy keeps dying.

Alternate solution in PROGRAM\Loc_ai\LAi_init.c:
Code:
     // SCREWFACE : crewmembers on shore mod
     bool LandCrew = LANDCREWMEMBERS;
     if (LandCrew)
     {
       if (loc.type == "Shop")               LandCrew = false;
       if (loc.type == "residence")           LandCrew = false;
       if (loc.type == "house")             LandCrew = false;
       if (GetAttribute(loc  , "vcskip") == true)   LandCrew = false; // PB
       if (GetAttribute(mainChr, "vcskip") == true)   LandCrew = false; // PB
       if (LandCrew)
       {
         crew = characterFromID("Treas_Crewmember_1");
         maxcrew = GetMaxLandCrew(mainChr.Ship.Crew.Quantity);
         if (maxCrew > 0)
         {
           for(con =  1; con <= 10 ; con++)
           {
             crew = characterFromID("Treas_Crewmember_" + con);
             if(Lai_IsDead(crew))
             {
               RemoveCharacterCrew(mainChr,1);
               if(MAX_CREWMEMBERS  > 0){MAX_CREWMEMBERS = MAX_CREWMEMBERS-1;}
               if(MAX_CREWMEMBERS == 0) LANDCREWMEMBERS = false; // PB: If all your crew died, disable this mod
             }
At least then you can never forget to disable this mod because it auto-disables itself as soon as the last crewmember dies.

Basically I can think of the following "solutions":
- Enforce a minimum of 1 crew to stay with you on the next location reload, regardless of how many die (not entirely logical)
- Allow switching this mod off through the crewmembers on deck too (still need to remember that it is on)
- Have a reminder of some kind that it is still on (more coding required :facepalm )
- Have it auto-disable with the above code

I think that last option is the simplest and most effective one, so I think I'll go with that one for now. :doff

Also, rather than having the sea captains generated through this mod always be Pirate,
it may make more sense (and is easier to code) to just exempt them from the whole "nations relations" mod altogether.
Which means that if they're French and you're friendly to France, you can still sink or capture them without losing points with France.
This is done as well for the next release. :doff

- Have it auto-disable with the above code

:yes - I think that is the best option - I was thinking if all the players crew died on one island - when the player lands on the next island another group of the ships crew were there as a visual reminder for the player - but if the game does not remember how many there were in the first place then that is too complicated.

So the auto- disable if all crew dead is the best solution. :onya

:drunk

Several years ago, i did some work on the dialogue for this mod. The spelling mistakes should already have been removed back then. Did i miss something in there, or were these files somehow patched with the old version between beta 3 and whatever came after?

I do know that random_patrol_dialog.c, Random_sailors_sit_tavern_dialog.c and random_sailors_group_dialog.c need recoding. The random_pirates_group_dialog.c file had been fixed, but i never got round to testing things properly, so fixed versions of the first three files i mentioned never made it into the build mod. Now that i'm back into the game again, i did some testing with the pirates, and they do indeed seem to be working properly, so if you want me to fix the patrols and sailors too, i can. The problem is that the wrong lines of dialogue get called up, which seems to have originated with the original badly-spelled mod by Screwface. I only dicovered the poor coding after i'd fixed the dialogue, since i then noticed what they were saying. It's a very intricate dialogue tree though. So many flag- and allegiance related things are being taken into account.

Perhaps it's best if i get the lines of dialogue sorted, and you guys can then keep building on that? If this whole thing gets recoded anyway, it would be best if the stuff you do use is actually functional. I'm worried if the Extra Atmosphere mod mentioned in the first post might now be using the wrong lines of dialogue, like the original mod does.

Several years ago, i did some work on the dialogue for this mod. The spelling mistakes should already have been removed back then. Did i miss something in there, or were these files somehow patched with the old version between beta 3 and whatever came after?

I do know that random_patrol_dialog.c, Random_sailors_sit_tavern_dialog.c and random_sailors_group_dialog.c need recoding. The random_pirates_group_dialog.c file had been fixed, but i never got round to testing things properly, so fixed versions of the first three files i mentioned never made it into the build mod. Now that i'm back into the game again, i did some testing with the pirates, and they do indeed seem to be working properly, so if you want me to fix the patrols and sailors too, i can. The problem is that the wrong lines of dialogue get called up, which seems to have originated with the original badly-spelled mod by Screwface. I only dicovered the poor coding after i'd fixed the dialogue, since i then noticed what they were saying. It's a very intricate dialogue tree though. So many flag- and allegiance related things are being taken into account.

Perhaps it's best if i get the lines of dialogue sorted, and you guys can then keep building on that? If this whole thing gets recoded anyway, it would be best if the stuff you do use is actually functional. I'm worried if the Extra Atmosphere mod mentioned in the first post might now be using the wrong lines of dialogue, like the original mod does.
The extra atmosphere wasn't that big. and is not using the wrong lines. I made new dialog files for them.

The spelling for this has recently been improved.
But definitely the coding could do with some rewriting.
Should be done on the Beta 4 base though so it can tie in with the completely rewritten Nation Relations.

Perhaps it's best if i can just get my hands on the relevant files first then, rather than muck about with the Beta 3 ones. I don't necessarily need to play beta 4 to modify it's dialogue.

Levis? Could you upload the ones i need here? I'm assuming the random_encounter.c files are different in beta 4.

What I might suggest is to install the Beta 4 WIP in addition to your current version.
Even if you won't play it much, it can be good to have a more up to date version at hand for reference.
Especially now that it is so very different from Beta 3.

Out of curiosity: Which version of Beta 3 are you on at the moment?

I'll try that. I suppose it's a matter of copying my current install to somewhere else and then installing the newer version on top of that, right? I'm having trouble finding clear instructions.

I have no idea. I just got whatever the FAQ pointed me to. The installer just says Beta 3.

You can indeed make a separate install just fine. I've got 20+ on my external hard drive.

Not sure what FAQ you are referring to, but I hope it points here:
Downloads - Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod for Pirates of the Caribbean
If not, that should be corrected. WITHOUT the actual version being mentioned there.
That is just one more thing to forget to be updated when there is a new version. :facepalm

Latest public release is always on ModDB and latest internal one is linked to at the bottom of every post I make.

You can easily find out the exact mod version you're running because it is mentioned in the game's main menu.

Yes, just copy your current install, rename the EXE, and then install the latest stuff onto it. It should end up being 11-12 gb.

Okay, seems i've got 3.4 after all. I'll work on getting the WIP installed. Just not today.

At least 3.4 isn't completely ancient as it was released in January.
But still, the Beta 4 WIP is so different in so many different ways that it is almost pointless to support the last public release version anymore. :facepalm

Yeah, i'm trying to get it installed, but it's not working. I should make a to-do list.

Back