• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

...I've got a new idea...

Don't give up until you tried this:
Try to use the console to execute this:
Code:
void ExecuteConsole()
{
ref pchar = GetMainCharacter();
pchar.SPECIAL.Strength = pchar.SPECIAL.Strength + 1;
}
This should make the player's Strength value increase by 1.
I'm pretty sure what you want CAN be done. :yes

Don't give up until you tried this:
Try to use the console to execute this:
Code:
void ExecuteConsole()
{
ref pchar = GetMainCharacter();
pchar.SPECIAL.Strength = pchar.SPECIAL.Strength + 1;
}
This should make the player's Strength value increase by 1.
I'm pretty sure what you want CAN be done. :yes

I know that can be done. There is a quest in the game that triggers that sort of increase. What we can't make it do is increase it temporarily via an item and have it effect skills directly. Once the actual readable books are implemented, I may be able to write in a check and a trigger that will add the skill permanently, once, and never again, but I have yet to reach that point, and it would only be useful for the player character.

You can do the temporary increase in a different way. Something like this, maybe?
Code:
if(CheckCharacterItem(char, "bookpower_1") // If the character has the book that increases power/strength
{
char.SPECIAL.old.Strength = char.SPECIAL.Strength; // Remember the character's value for that
char.SPECIAL.Strength = char.SPECIAL.Strength + 1; // Increase the character's value by 1
}
else // If the character does not have the book (anymore)
{
if(CheckAttribute(char,"SPECIAL.old.Strength")) // Check if the character used to have a different value
{
char.SPECIAL.Strength = char.SPECIAL.old.Strength; // Restore that value
}
}

You can do the temporary increase in a different way. Something like this, maybe?
Code:
if(CheckCharacterItem(char, "bookpower_1") // If the character has the book that increases power/strength
{
char.SPECIAL.old.Strength = char.SPECIAL.Strength; // Remember the character's value for that
char.SPECIAL.Strength = char.SPECIAL.Strength + 1; // Increase the character's value by 1
}
else // If the character does not have the book (anymore)
{
if(CheckAttribute(char,"SPECIAL.old.Strength")) // Check if the character used to have a different value
{
char.SPECIAL.Strength = char.SPECIAL.old.Strength; // Restore that value
}
}

See, I had not thought of that. This is where your experience with the Storm-based code really shows me how much I have to learn, formal education in C or no! I'm going to have to test that once I've had my next bit of sleep and begun functioning normally again. I've not slept for more than 3 hours in any one go for about a week now, and I can't figure out why, but it's really starting to effect my ability to function.

I'll have to ensure that all of those functions are defined (I know that some are for sure, but can't remember seeing all of them for sure).

There's only two functions in that code I posted: CheckCharacterItem and CheckAttribute. The second is definitly used by CoAS and I think the first one is too, though I wrote it from memory and the actual function name might be slightly different.

Funny, I was just saying to Pirate_KK how much I am lacking proper coding knowledge of C or something else. All I know is self-taught. It's served me well in the past, but it cannot be denied that there's some gaping holes in my knowledge. I dare say that my years of experience from working with the PotC code and your actual knowledge of coding can actually support each other very well. :woot

So for now you will be required to have the books for the experience boost, as soon as you remove them from your inventory you loose the experience boost just like the other trinkets.

So for now you will be required to have the books for the experience boost, as soon as you remove them from your inventory you loose the experience boost just like the other trinkets.

For the moment. Which is how we decided it should be implemented, at least initially. This way the bonuses are transferable between the player and officers, and no book can ever effect more than one character simultaneously (such as a permanent effect upon pickup). This implementation makes the most sense right now.

Ok mates, sorry this took so long, ran into some problems with TX converter, got it sorted now. Here is the new book test file with Stealth Book 1 text, formatted at 1024X1024. This is not a finalized version, and I may make some changes, just curious to see how it looks in game. I won't include the text separately, as it is MUCH more readable in this one!

stealthbook1test.gif

Darkhymn, when you get the chance mate, I have uploaded the already compressed TX file to the FTP, it is kind of bigger than I wanted but it is compressed at the max, could you please show me a screen shot of how this looks in game?

looks good mate! I chuckled when i read the warning "Never attempt to hid under an ox"

xD: Thanks FB!

Thanks mate! No hurry, just whenever you get the time. I had some spelling errors in the .gif above, but everything should be correct in the TX on the FTP.

Thanks mate! No hurry, just whenever you get the time. I had some spelling errors in the .gif above, but everything should be correct in the TX on the FTP.
Oh good I'll grab that then. I'm just doing a bit of play-testing of the balance of the mod currently. Trying to avoid coding for a bit :)
Tell, me, what font is that? I love it, and if I do wind up making the textures for the majority of these books, I'd like to use it.
Also, would you be bothered if I rewrote your books before the final release? Nothing drastic, just minor tweaks for spelling, grammar, and wording? Much like I did for FireBat's original titles and descriptions for the books. If you prefer that they be left as they are, I'll happily oblige :)

It's called Old English Text MT, took me a while to remember just where I got it from, finally found it. You can get it from HERE! For some reason though, you have to rename the file to .TTF, it is definitely just a font file, someone must have just screwed up the extension. :shrug

Some of the grammar was intentional on my part, but if you feel something needs changed, feel free mate. :onya

Hi ya folks!
I have spent the past half-hour trying to type up this post, without sounding picky...but I am afraid that i am going to anyway.

When the covers were created for this mod, I had no idea that it would explode into such an awsome community project. The 2 pages are coming along, but before we get too far, I do have a suggestion.

As is with the crappy covers for the tier 1 books, I suggest that the caligraphy be not as refined as it is. This is only a suggestion...but I think if the 2 pages where designed kind of like the example below, we could get them to really look authentic...

30ucqo4.jpg

I really do appreciate the hard work done thus far.... i cant express that enough

I will attempt to explain what is going on with the book up there.

Behind the 'Sleepy Hollow' font is brown and black smudges, Behind the tier 2 font (cant remember which one that is, but it is a default) the pages are still kinda yellow/brownish, and behind the tier 3 books is the "old' font that Thargarr used, with almost white pages...

Again just suggestions....

Good suggestions. I like the old English fine but it's out of place historically for COAS era.

Take a look at this link for books printed in the 16th Century (especially in central Europe or Netherlands): http://www.waldenfont.com/product.asp?productID=2

Take a look at this link for the 17th/18th Centuries: http://www.fontcraft.com/fontcraft/?p=154 This is what I think we are really looking for as there was a major return to Roman style block printset types in that era.

MK

Hi ya folks!
I have spent the past half-hour trying to type up this post, without sounding picky...but I am afraid that i am going to anyway.

When the covers were created for this mod, I had no idea that it would explode into such an awsome community project. The 2 pages are coming along, but before we get too far, I do have a suggestion.

As is with the crappy covers for the tier 1 books, I suggest that the caligraphy be not as refined as it is. This is only a suggestion...but I think if the 2 pages where designed kind of like the example below, we could get them to really look authentic...

*Image Removed*

I really do appreciate the hard work done thus far.... i cant express that enough

I will attempt to explain what is going on with the book up there.

Behind the 'Sleepy Hollow' font is brown and black smudges, Behind the tier 2 font (cant remember which one that is) the pages are still kinda yellow/brownish, and behind the tier 3 books is the "old' font that Thargarr used, with almost white pages...

Again just suggestions....

I actually think that's a great idea. I had actually also thought of finding a more battered looking texture for the tier one books, but I hadn't thought of the font at all. I'll make an effort to find good stock images for all 3 tiers and put them on the ftp, along with appropriate fonts, assuming I have or can locate them.

Take a look at this link for the 17th/18th Centuries: http://www.fontcraft...ontcraft/?p=154 This is what I think we are really looking for as there was a major return to Roman style block printset types in that era.
Also a good idea... and only $70 for the fonts.... I'll find something akin to that for free on the internet somewhere, because there be pirates, here.

A good resource

There are a wonderful selection of fonts here. The font called called Renaissance may serve the tier 3 purpose, while the HenryMorganHand may work for our tier 2 needs. My personal favorite is still the sleepy hollow for tier 1 however writting numbers (ie 1,2,,3) generates some interesting results

(FB EDIT: I am going to have to find a substitute for Sleepy Hollow. Any Puncuations result in the showing of a logo. I will attempt to find something similar to the sleepy hollow scrawling)

Another thing you could do is make tier 1 as an old tier where the wrinting and condition of the book is old, the later the tier the more recent the book and writing style.

Back