• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

...I've got a new idea...

Yup, that is another good idea. I will experiment with those fonts later.

21l1g6r.jpg

Above is a larger example of what i was showing earlier. As you can see the tier 1 'section' the pages are much browner, with a few dark spots thrown in for good measure. Tier 2 the page isnt as dark, but by no means is it prestine, and tier 3 is almost a perfect white...yet no, just to keep it accurate (bleached white paper didnt show up until much much later)
I have no problem customizing the image of each finished book, so that the pages dont look the same. Unfortunatly to have this done, the finished product needs to be sent to me in Photoshop format, with all layers intact. It is possible for me to do the customizing without it being in photoshop format, it will just be tougher.

I think i have found a decent substitute for the Sleepy Hollow font called PIll Box Opaque The only issue I have with this font is that the x looks more like an r

Tier 2 is Henry Morgan Hand The name seems appropriate, and the style looks decent.

Tier 3 isRenaissance Again the style looks decent enough. I will miss the old english style lettering, but I still want to stay as close to period accuracy as possible.

So thats where we stand for now...I have to take a short break to help out my folks, but I will be back in couple hours. I will then begin writting up the 2 pages for the tier 3 books.

Looking good FB. :will :bow

This is looking better and better every day and the idea's from everyone keep flowing in. Good things are never rushed and take time to be finished and i know the idea of the books was in POTC even though you was unaware of that but you have made this mod your own and with the help of these great guy's you have done amazing work. If this is the standard of your work now i fully look forward to seeing much more of your work and i think i say that for all the CM team when i say that. :onya

Thanks mate. That means alot coming from you. Fortunatly i have had lots of help from these guys (DarkHymn especially...with all the coding) Unfortunatly the bar has been set pretty high by this mod. I dont know if it is going to be possible for the next mod to top this one.

However there is still very much to do. The rest of these books have to be written up. I will begin with the tier 3 books, as long as the font looks fine by the rest of the crew.

This mod really is coming along quite well. I'm working on play testing the balance and the rates at which the items appear in-game (my excuse to take a break from coding and actually play some CoAS for a while). Once that's done, the mod will be more or less ready for release, unless we decide to hold off release until we have readability fully implemented.

I would like to hold back from release unti the readability if fully implemented, since it seems that these books can't be re-inited into exsistance for some reason, I don't want players having to make yet another character.

Take a look at this link for the 17th/18th Centuries: http://www.fontcraft.com/fontcraft/?p=154 This is what I think we are really looking for as there was a major return to Roman style block printset types in that era.

MK

I ran into that site a while back, and it is a fantastic site MK, those fonts would be perfect for what we need. Unfortunately, they are not free, I recon it is probably best we stay with free or open sources for fonts and artwork. That's just my opinion though.

I am back to work today mates, so I won't have a lot of time the next couple of days. The first one I tried was the one we used for the PA logo, Pieces of Eight, it just wasn't readable in the original resolution. The Old English font was just the first one I came across that looked old and decent in the resolution for the first draft book, with the resolution up to 1024X1024, that's not an issue. I have no problem at all changing it, the Old English does look a bit out of place.

I think your choices for the 2 and 3 tier books are spot on FB! I do like the look of the Pillbox Opaque for tire one, but the x looking like an r might make things a bit tough to read. I'll do some more looking after I get off work in the morning and see if I can come up with that same kind of style, but more readable, unless you have found a good replacement by then.

I agree, we should really wait to release the book mod till everything is readable and finished. At the rate we are going, that probably won't take really more than a couple of weeks anyway.

Take a look at this link for the 17th/18th Centuries: http://www.fontcraft.com/fontcraft/?p=154 This is what I think we are really looking for as there was a major return to Roman style block printset types in that era.

MK

I ran into that site a while back, and it is a fantastic site MK, those fonts would be perfect for what we need. Unfortunately, they are not free, I recon it is probably best we stay with free or open sources for fonts and artwork. That's just my opinion though.

Roger, Agreed Thagarr.

Check these out. A couple really nice ones and they're free.

http://www.fontspace.com/category/historical

http://www.fontspace.com/category/historic

http://www.angelfire.com/la/bryde/fonts.html

MK

i4fu3n.jpg

1 down 13 to go. This font works well. A nice compination between clairity, yet decorative enough for a expensive book of 17th origin.

Moving on....

Is that image resized? Because I'm having trouble reading it, and it's only 778x635. You know that the tx converter will resize it to 1024x1024?

Lets try this again...
2nk2840.jpg

i hope this looks okay....

I had to add quite a bit more material

I think you should get some opinions on the text size before you continue. It seems hard to read, to me, however my vision is somewhat poor. Otherwise, I really like what you've done there. There are a handful of grammar errors, which aren't too serious (perhaps you could write them all as text first, and upload them for a quick proofreading? That's entirely up to you, of course). Good, serious, quality command advice, with a bit of humor tucked in nicely. "Entertainment" haha. I like that much of the advice is actually related to gameplay. Well done, overall.

ya, my grammar sucks. xD: My spelling is usually pretty good...but grammar...HA!

I think i will upload them as just plain text first...since my grammar is a bad as it is. The trick is to write in the text in the book, then copy that and paste it here, just to be sure that there is enough text to fill the 2 pages.

I will increase the font a bit, as you are right, it is a bit tough to read. I would like the font size to match what thargarr posted, as his was easy to read.

Hows this for font size?
2410zz7.jpg

Note, this is 22pt

Alright, moving ahead, This one is directed to ModernKnight's Attention.

This book is the light weapons' book, and all information is taken from the Talhoffer. The pictures have been pulled from the talhoffer as well, cause i can't draw worth a nothin.

qmymmf.jpg

I love it FB! Folks assume because of Hollywood that western fighting was just a slog match. That is so wrong. Western Martial Arts were just as defined and formal as Eastern, just lost to history and importance very quickly over the course of a couple centuries because of extremely rapid European technological innovations. It is being vigorously rediscovered. Wrestling forms the ground basis of most European fight books. Fiore alone has over 130 wrestling moves that need to be mastered and understood before adding weapons to the mix. Talhoffer is two centuries dated by the age of Piracy and that's why I added the Petter wrestling screenshot and quote/explanation, but this is fine, just cause it looks so damn cool.

MK

Awesome job FB! Those look absolutely fantastic mate! :onya

I do owe you an apology though, I should have uploaded my new blank PNG template to the FTP last night, but I forgot! :facepalm It is up there now mate, that one looks much better than my original. The text should look much more readable on the PNG blank. Also, HERE is the link where I originally got the book, if you would rather start with that.

MK, checking out those fonts now, good stuff mate, thanks! Looks like there might be a prospect or two.

Just ran across these, they are based on authentic 17'th century fonts.

1 down 13 to go. This font works well. A nice compination between clairity, yet decorative enough for a expensive book of 17th origin.
Nice one. I do also find the font a bit hard to read on the first two versions, though not impossible. To read, personally I generally like extremely clear fonts like Arial or Verdana, but I wouldn't recommend you use those here. :razz
The third and last edition does look very good. :onya

BTW: I like the text you've written on discipline. I especially like the fact that you're suggesting they should give debriefings and congratulations in the 16th/17th century. That's what they were also suggesting at the Bridge Team Management course I had several months ago. And it STILL DOESN'T HAPPEN! :rofl

Back