• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Jamaicaship1 camera

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
I just ran across this issue with the Jamaicaship1. Or class 2 Indiaman. The camera angle is all wrong. I can not get the picture to go any lower in order to get the ship centered. I just got my new monitor, 24" 1920X1080 16:9. So, is it a problem with the ship or the monitor? Other ships seem to be ok. Is it easy to repair this?

Well this kind of problem affects many ships, yet I have no idea what causes it, OR how to fix it. :facepalm
It's something we really need to bring up with the modellers, and see what they think.

Many ships!?!?!? :facepalm I dumped that class 2 Indiaman ASAP because of this. Traded it in for a class 4 Pinnace. Then ran into a class 1 Indiaman. After a 6 hour real time battle in which the Pinnace was sunk I captured that bad boy. :piratesahoy! Guess what? It has the same problem. :j3 It is as good as gone. Why have a ship you can not even see? :walkplank

Do any new ships have this problem? If so, then the ship builders are wasting their time.

I seem to recall either La Couronne or Apostol Felipe also having this problem.
I don't think it's very severe for them, though I might be wrong. :facepalm

I have sailed the Apostol Felipe and never noticed this problem. I like it actually. But that was on the small monitor. The only time I have sailed La Couronne was when taking pics and do not recall anything. The screenies I have of those ships don't look anything like the one I posted of the Indiaman in that the ships are well above the bottom of the screen instead of not being able to see the hull. Time for some testing?

I definitely got it with one of Pgargon's large ships. No idea where the problem comes from either. Height of the camera locator perhaps?

I noticed this a little while back. Don't remember if I mentioned it here. I do remember using the GMViewer and TOOL to move the camera locator down a full point, but nothing changed. So methinks there is something else going on also. Unless I messed up and the change didn't "take".

Time for some testing?
Aye, that's a good idea. Time to dig out some ships and do some myth-busting. :will
Best things to check for are (a) which ships are affected, and (b) whether there are any simple solutions, using locators for example.

If anything, I'd expect the camera locator to need being moved UP.

How far up? It seems that all of the big East Indiamen are bad. That is wargalleon1,2,3,4 and jamaicaship1. So far.......... I'm using wargalleon4 as my test mule.

Anyhoo, I have moved the Y location of the camera locator from 4.4 to 19.4 with no difference in the view in game. The similar sized wallerpinnace has it set at 18. :shrug This is in group "waterline". Where else could I look?

Guys, I've just tested this with La Couronne, and it seems the 'Camera' locator has nothing to do with the 3rd person camera.
Instead, it sets where the first person camera starts on the deck. But I changed this one from 8.5 to 18.5, with only a small yet noticeable difference in-game.

So we need to look elsewhere for this answer. A different locator, perhaps?

I've been taking screenies and looking at old screenies and it looks like some of this is related to the monitor used. 4:3 monitors do not seem to have this issue. I've added 2 screenies to the first post. Would PGargon be willing to help with this?

Well THAT would be a pain if it turned out to be the cause! Obviously, most people tend to have moved on from 4:3 by now.
Are you sure you didn't zoom in for those older screenshots? That could heavily bias any assumptions we make. :facepalm

It's probably worth asking a modeller to see if they know anything about this bug.
Also, I wonder if this affects the same ships in CoAS?

Essentially, we have a lot of testing to do. A good starting point would be to take a screenie of the same ship in the same Build version, position and zoom level, for both types of screen.

That 4:3 screenie is actually pretty recent. I was playing Hoist the Colors for the first time. It is dated Feb. 21st, 2011. The other two are from this month. Since I still have that monitor it will be no problem to get screenies from the same point in game. Still, only certain ships are affected, like the Mordaunt and La Couronne.

PS: Is there a place where the ships are listed by their index numbers? That would save me much time.

PSS: Here ya go. Both shots taken as low as possible at maximum distance. I chose wargalleon1 because it was the first ship with this issue to come up. Index97.

PS: Is there a place where the ships are listed by their index numbers? That would save me much time.
ships_init.c? :shrug I can't think of anywhere else.

PSS: Here ya go. Both shots taken as low as possible at maximum distance. I chose wargalleon1 because it was the first ship with this issue to come up.
Hmm. The camera is certainly higher than usual in both screens, but clearly it is worse with widescreen.
However, at least we can see that widescreen isn't the actual cause.

Ships index numbers aren't in ships_init.c; I know the ship screenshots we used for the Repaint interface had the ship index numbers in their filenames.
But didn't miklkit make those himself?

The list I made has the ships in alphabetical order.

Verifying that the list in ships_init.c is in the index order would be time consuming. It should be pretty easy to do, except for the writers cramp from writing down the stuff for every ship.

Crickets...............

Well, my favorite ship is still good. Six more ships are going to the mothball fleet tho.

edit: Make that 7. I "traded" a fluyt for the Apostol Felipe and found it to be bad too. :walkplank That's a shame because I like that ship. :rumgone

Back