• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Lets Get Down to Basics

Old Swabby

Powder Monkey
Okay, I just installed New Horizons to the Bethesda\Pirates of the Caribbean directory....now, I'm not sure which executable to use to start the game....(First time player here) :D

:ahoyThis GAME IS AWESOME alright! :guns:

What do you mean: o_O
I'm not sure which executable to use to start the game
Just click the ENGINE.exe Clipboard01.jpg <---------This one--------)
Is this the one you installed? (Build 14 Beta 3 Full - Updated: 8 Oct 2013) - If not, I recommend this one. :onya

now, I'm not sure which executable to use to start the game....(First time player here) :D
There should be only one EXE, namely ENGINE.exe .
There might be some additional un-installers as well, but those aren't the game of course. :no

Well shoot..is there any sort of splash screen or title to let you know you're in the right version...the engine.exe is dated 2003...is that right?

Last edited:
Well shoot..is there any sort of splash screen or title to let you know you're in the right version...the engine.exe is dated 2003...is that right?
It is indeed dated 2003; all actual modding work has been done to other files.
When you start the game, the modpack splash screen shows a painting of a ship near an island; the unmodded game just shows a wave.
Also, if you get into the main menu, the modded version will show the version number and date in the lower-left corner of the screen.

What problems exactly are you having? Is the game not running for you? Are you getting any errors?

Ah, I see the wave....but no bversion in the corner of the menu...... I'm still scouring the troubleshooting forum...

I don't have a build info folder in my game directory....that being behtesda/pirates of the carribean.
Uhm.... The modpack wasn't installed then. Just for clarity's sake, what did and did you not do yet? I'm a bit confused.
And what is and is not working? I think we need some more information to sort you out properly.

No, it looks like stock POTC menu..with the skull......

Ok, what I've done is:

installed POTC to laptop..win 8....the pute is a couple years old...probably has integrated graphics...im still investigating..
I then d/l'd the latest build...b14 beta 3 full...it appeard to be zipped...so i extracted it to my bethesda dir..then, I extracted again to the bethesda/potc dir...then I run engine.exe located in the potc dir...but I'm not getting that screen..so I probably messed up...ywh

anywho, it crashes after I hit new game......again, I didnt mean to start posting before thoroughly examining the forums...My problems appear to be common, and I know I would find the answer eventually.

thnx

You need to have BOTH part 1 AND part 2 from here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/downloads
Just the 7-Zip archive alone is not enough. Place them in the same folder, execute the installer EXE and it should be pretty straight-forward from there on.

I do recommend moving your game folder OUTSIDE Program Files first though; otherwise that probably causes trouble, especially on Windows 8.

The crash after New Game with the game still appearing unmodified does suggest you have an Intel GFX card problem.
I'd recommend you confirm and, if indeed you do, select the Intel Fix option in the Build installer EXE file.

I suggest the Crucial Installation Tips for the latest release on ModDB to be updated.

Ah just to be clear..put the two files(Part1 and Part2) in a different but the same folder. -then proceed to the other instructions mentioned by Sire, Pieter Boelen.

Yeah, seems I have to clarify some stuff further. I'll see if I can find the time/enthusiasm tomorrow.

Hehe, sorry bout that....now I know why they put labels on products such as dont use the hair dryer in the bath tub...

Now it wants to see a readme.txt because it doesnt thing potc is installed.....so the install aborted...i checked the potc dir..there is a readme.txt...i guess it isnt the one it wants....

That IS the one it wants. When you select the destination folder, you do select the PotC game folder with that readme.txt file in there, right?
That check is only there to make sure people DO install it on top of the original game; wouldn't be the first time people expect the mod to be a stand-along thing. :facepalm

Ok, it was trying to install under c:program files/blahblah..but i didnt install potc in the prog files..if i learned anything, it was that....now it is saying,
Main Files archive files not present. Place b14 beat 7z in this folder to continue...should i put it all outside bethesda folder...which is where the orig game is installed under in its own folder..

Okay..i recommend you need to do a clean install.. delete main game folder and try again..

Instructions:
  • Install stock PotC(outside program files)
  • Get Build 14 Beta 3 Full - Updated: 8 Oct 2013
  • Put latest release(Part 1 and Part 2) to a different folder------>like this Clipboard01.jpg (But it should just be the two files that's there not three)
  • Run installer and point it to your stock potc main game folder
  • Modify and Play!
NOTE: If you have an Intel Card problem--check the Intel Fix during installation

Ok, got it installed....its crashing after the wave screen...right after initialization..here are the error logs.....there was no compile:

error log:
COMPILE ERROR - file: seadogs.c; line: 1
can't load file: BuildSettings.h

System log:

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete