• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannot Confirm Leveling: Level Up Cheats Not Working Correctly

Wow, you're even showing it in the Character Interface! :shock
Yup, it's not perfect but its mostly used for testing and stuff so I figured it could help :).

the onscreen message will also show to which level you leveled (fake) now.

the onscreen message will also show to which level you leveled (fake) now.
I saw that too and was admittedly quite tempted to get rid of that again.
Might become a bit "information overload" for the players. We've done many years without those details.
But indeed for testing, it can certainly be useful. :yes

I saw that too and was admittedly quite tempted to get rid of that again.
Might become a bit "information overload" for the players. We've done many years without those details.
But indeed for testing, it can certainly be useful. :yes
Nobody else will use the fake levelup :p.
During normal play you wont encounter a fake level up (right?). And the interface will only show the two levels once a fake level up is done.

Nobody else will use the fake levelup :p.
During normal play you wont encounter a fake level up (right?).
It is one of the cheats in the Cheatmode, so any player could use it once they enable it.

It is one of the cheats in the Cheatmode, so any player could use it once they enable it.
I know, but on a normal playtrough it shouldn't be used unless you are going to cheat :p.
Feel free to remove the interface thing again. I did that before I later remember I could just add it to the onscreen message.

I know, but on a normal playtrough it shouldn't be used unless you are going to cheat :p.
Feel free to remove the interface thing again. I did that before I later remember I could just add it to the onscreen message.
This would be my suggestion:
Code:
int GetTotalRank(ref chr)
{
   int charRank = sti(chr.rank);
   if(CheckAttribute(chr, "FakeLevels")) charRank += sti(chr.FakeLevels);
   return charRank;
}
And:
Code:
  if(DEBUG_EXPERIENCE>0)   GameInterface.strings.Rank = xi_refCharacter.rank+"-"+GetTotalRank(xi_refCharacter);
   else           GameInterface.strings.Rank = GetTotalRank(xi_refCharacter);
And:
Code:
        LevelUp_Cheat(rcPassenger, 0);
         if(DEBUG_EXPERIENCE>0)
         {
           Log_SetStringToLog(TranslateString("","Fake Level Up") + " to: " + GetTotalRank(rcPassenger) + " for " + Cheat_ScrollCharacterName(mc.scrollchars) + "!");
         }
         else
         {
           Log_SetStringToLog(TranslateString("","Fake Level Up") + " for " + Cheat_ScrollCharacterName(mc.scrollchars) + "!");
         }
       break;
As you said, could still be nice for debug purposes.

Last edited:
Or even better:
Code:
    string LevelText = "";
     //Display the levelup
     if(IsInParty(GetMainCharacterIndex(), sti(chref.index)))
     {
       if(CheckAttribute(chref,"FakeLevelUp"))
       {
         LevelText = TranslateString("","Fake Level Up") + " for " + GetMySimpleName(chref) + "!" + " " + TranslateString("","(Now level") + " " + chref.rank + ")";
       }
       else
       {
         LevelText = GetMySimpleName(chref) + " " + TranslateString("","has gained a new level!") + " " + TranslateString("","(Now level") + " " + GetTotalRank(chref) + ")");
         PlayStereoSound("interface\new_level.wav");
         AddMsgToCharacter(chref,MSGICON_LEVELUP);
       }
       LogIt(LevelText);
     }
     else
     {
       LevelText = GetMySimpleName(chref) + " " + TranslateString("","has gained a new level!") + " " + TranslateString("","(Now level") + " " + GetTotalRank(chref) + ")");
       //This character has noone to choose his perks so we must do it for him.
       if(firstlevelup) { PrepareSelectPerksForCharacter(chref); firstlevelup = false;}
       SelectPerksForCharacter(chref);
     }
     // LDH 01May09
     if(DEBUG_EXPERIENCE>0) Trace(LevelText);
Creates a bit of uniformity between the two types of Level-Up and gets rid of the code in seadogs.c by putting it where it belongs.
It does look a bit reversed though where I had to use GetTotalRank and chref.rank exactly the way I hadn't expected.
Oh well, looks to behave the way it always did now.

Just loaded 9/16 started new game. Enabled cheatmode and sidestep. Pressing 4 on the NUM pad does nothing, and sidestep is not working. Also locked perks is set to 0 and perks are still locked. Baffling or WTF?

Last edited:
What exact starting settings did you use? Do any of the other cheats work?
What settings did you change?

I used the settings I always use and when I looked in internal settings after I installed the most recent update all of the changes I usually make: stormy start, sail to and fast travel, locked perks, gun dousing, sidestep and cheat mode were unchanged from my last game.

I can´t confirm those problems, sidestep works and Num. pad 4 brings me one level up.o_O

Free Play storyline with Brave Black Flag default character, is it? Or not?
That is correct. I started a new game after the upload. All this was working in the 9/7 version.

REinstalled update everything is now working.

Last edited:
Oh I sure will :D Now what is up with all these enemies in melee who keep regenerating hit points in melee?

Back