• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Levelling: Cannonball Hits Slow Down Game

Is the stutter as bad as it was before?
The changes I made ensure that the same fiction gets called only once per ball hit instead of three times.
So it should in theory reduce performance issues by 66% or so.

Of course if that single function truly IS so heavy, even calling it once per hit couple be "too much".

This might also explain why I once had performance issues in a large sword fight.
Must have been the same function being called.

Is the stutter as bad as it was before?
The changes I made ensure that the same fiction gets called only once per ball hit instead of three times.
So it should in theory reduce performance issues by 66% or so.

Of course if that single function truly IS so heavy, even calling it once per hit couple be "too much".

This might also explain why I once had performance issues in a large sword fight.
Must have been the same function being called.

Yep, the stuttering is pretty bad. In one word, it's unplayable, just like it was before. When I removed the lines related to auto_skill, I noticed a performance gain in sword fights too, even though they were not lagging that much like the cannon battles.

How can removing lines in a function that affects exclusively cannon hits have any impact on sword fighting?
Or did you find those same lines elsewhere and removed them there too?

Yep, the stuttering is pretty bad. In one word, it's unplayable, just like it was before. When I removed the lines related to auto_skill, I noticed a performance gain in sword fights too, even though they were not lagging that much like the cannon battles.

Don't get me wrong, I never had issues with sword fights, so it could be eye cheating or something like that. Cannon battles is something what would be nice to focus on.

If that isn't what you did, then what you say sounds quite impossible.
Unless it is truly a bug of epic proportions that never ends adding experience after it started.
That would be scary, but may explain a lot.

What ship are you sailing at the moment?
If you take one with less cannons, does performance improve?

If that isn't what you did, then what you say sounds quite impossible.
Unless it is truly a bug of epic proportions that never ends adding experience after it started.
That would be scary, but may explain a lot.

What ship are you sailing at the moment?
If you take one with less cannons, does performance improve?

At the moment I'm sailing a 3rd Class Centurion with 70 cannons (I think?).
I will though try to buy a very small ship and test it, but if I remember right, even the small ships cause stuttering. The problem is, at the beginning of the game, when you are small level, there is no stuttering. The stuttering starts to become bad after you level higher...

At the moment I'm sailing a 3rd Class Centurion with 70 cannons (I think?).
How much worse is firing the full broadside comparing to firing your chasers?

For what it worth I haven't noticed anything like that in fights I've been in in beta 4. But my PCs are way above the PotC minimum requirements, so it is not worth much.

Last edited:
How much worse is firing the full broadside comparing to firing your chasers?

For what it worth I haven't noticed anything like that in fights I've been in in beta 4. But my PCs are way above the PotC minimum requirements, so it is not worth much.

My PC is also way above the PoTC recommended requirements, and it still stutters in naval fights, so it doesn't have to do anything with PC specs. This game is outdated, and running it properly shouldn't be a problem. The problem is, when modyfing a game, you can sometimes add features that are beyond the limits of the game's engine, and then the problems occur. Something was added to the Mod that causes this issue, and Pieter and the team are looking into it.

Could you please tell me which version of the mod you're using and upload your save file so i could test it myself as well? i have a pretty low spec pc and havent played potc since the release of beta 3. so it would be nice to see how it fares now with all those code changes over time.

so, ill download the moddb 3.4 then (if thats the official stable version) and then compare it to the link you gave me. if only i could get my hands on beta 3 as well...

I might have some ideas left. let me try to get it better :).

The oldest version I have is beta 3.3 which is pretty good. But a lot of work has gone into making the latest version of beta 4 better and it runs pretty good too.

Could you please tell me which version of the mod you're using and upload your save file so i could test it myself as well? i have a pretty low spec pc and havent played potc since the release of beta 3. so it would be nice to see how it fares now with all those code changes over time.
I will post the savegame file as soon as I get home.

Back