• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Levelling: Surrendered captains pay too high

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Is there a thread about officer pay? I came across a surrendered ship and boarded her. She turned out to be English and the captain surrendered to me. This is all well and good, but his monthly pay is $14,000 a month and he is breaking me. He is up to level 7 or so now so a high level is not the cause. To give some perspective, Artois Voisey is around $2,400 and I am around $3,500 a month.

Is this a bug? Is this intentional? I just hired Baldewyn Coffier and he is level 11 and $12,000. I am up to around $5,000.

Will look into it

I just hired Mr. Gibbs and took screenies at that time. The order I hired them is: Voysey, Peacock (former Captain), Coffier, Gibbs.
POTC4 2015-10-12 15-02-00-82.jpg POTC4 2015-10-12 15-02-03-55.jpg POTC4 2015-10-12 15-02-07-33.jpg POTC4 2015-10-12 15-02-10-07.jpg POTC4 2015-10-12 15-02-13-28.jpg

On which difficulty are you playing?

Do you pay yourself salary???
That first screenshot must be your PLAYER character. o_O

I have not played this game since my last post here. Just got the fix for Gibbs and the latest update 14 okt, and tried it again. Rehired Gibbs and he is working. Fired that $15,000+ a month officer and he got over $65,000 severence pay. Then came a regular pay period and it was over $150,000! I am now officially broke and have no idea how to play this game anymore. POTC3.3 is looking better and better.

EDIT: The next officer to go was Baldewyn Coffier at over $15,000 a month. But since he has no dialog I was unable to fire him. So I stripped him of everything but a sword and went into the jungle. With him now gone my payroll is getting manageable as I just payed $29,000 for one month. With 2 merchant runs a month I can just about break even.
Now to figure out how to stop paying meself as I am somewhere over $7,400 a month meself and rising very fast.

Last edited:
I haven't had time to fix this ...

I hired a bosun, level11, for $1,800 a month. He started out at $5,500 but I was able to work him down.

Later I tried to hire a carpenter. He wanted $5,500 too but I couldn't get him below$2,800 so he stayed there.

I....think.....this is about where they used to be. I felt really good if I could get one for less than $1,500. This is important because of the way their wages keep going up up up.

I hired a bosun, level11, for $1,800 a month. He started out at $5,500 but I was able to work him down.

Later I tried to hire a carpenter. He wanted $5,500 too but I couldn't get him below$2,800 so he stayed there.

I....think.....this is about where they used to be. I felt really good if I could get one for less than $1,500. This is important because of the way their wages keep going up up up.
So should I tweak it some more or do you think these numbers are okay?
Every time they increase a level theire wage goes up. I guess i should disable this? So once you hired someone he will stick with this salary?
Altough this gives me an nice idea. Every time he levels there is a small changes (which gets larger every time) of him asking for a raise. Declining this could affect the officer loyality.
What do you think @pedrwyth ?

I'm ok with officers getting small raises. I just need to be able to afford them. When they are making 5 times as much as they are now I need to be making 5 times as much too. When they are making $15,000 each and I make $12,000 per merchant run on average I will quickly go bankrupt. If they say pay me or else, then or else it is.

Every time they increase a level theire wage goes up. I guess i should disable this? So once you hired someone he will stick with this salary?
Altough this gives me an nice idea. Every time he levels there is a small changes (which gets larger every time) of him asking for a raise. Declining this could affect the officer loyality.
What do you think @pedrwyth ?

As regards a tie in to loyalty I would prefer that how loyalty is to be used in the game (if at all) is properly defined as a system (ie what actions can affect it and by how much) before moving to any implementation. I'm not saying that this couldn't be an instance but I prefer to see the totality of an intended system before moving forward. Currently loyalty has a "moral" bias (not that it has to stay like that of course) but I don't think you "buy" loyalty.

Whilst I don't have any major problem with salary raising by "inflation" as it were, so that balance is maintained between old hands and new recruits, however I don't want to micromanage that (I just want to get on with the storyline and for me every addition is another hindrance to that). I think annual upgrade (every January paydate - for example) not necessarily related to ongoing skills levelling per se would suffice. Your officer signed on and is not in a position of negotiation just because he got better at something. However a (very) occasional surprise of one of your officers turning up to ask for a salary boost could be a novelty but if you said no he should probably then resign there and then- or you should fire him for his cheek unless you REALLY value him - when you might agree.

I definitely agree with you about thinking through the whole loyalty thing before pushing ahead and implementing it all.
In fact, there are more systems that could do with similar thinking through, most notably reputation and fame.
They can all go together for Beta 5 development, I reckon.

In the meantime, I'd like a simple solution so pay does increase for officers you hired in the early game.
Doesn't need to be anything fancy. Functional would suffice.

Yes simple is good. I never had issues with officers getting raises before. It was just recently that they got out of hand. Now all of our pay is actually decreasing! I used to be making over $8,000 and now I am under $6,000. The others are experiencing similar drops too.

Yes simple is good. I never had issues with officers getting raises before. It was just recently that they got out of hand. Now all of our pay is actually decreasing! I used to be making over $8,000 and now I am under $6,000. The others are experiencing similar drops too.
wait....decreasing over time? how does that happen ....

Back