• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Mainsail

Captain Rick

Sailor Apprentice
This may not be a new bug or even only on the sloop, but the main sail is moving basackwards, it swings to the side the wind is on and not AWAY from the wind.

Which sloop is that? Originally all ships had the sails going in the wrong direction but they all should be ok now.

All three sloops in the Devlin Opera and the Naval Cutter do this going to roll back to release before this see if they were broke then.

Confirmed bug in the following versions, will suspend testing of further ships till we discover if there is a common piece of code breaking these five. Though I realize there are probably only three actual reference hips involved I'm not POTC smart enough to confirm this yet I'm a CAOS convert.

Build Version: Friday 8 November 2013
Build 14 Beta 3 Full

Build Version: Tuesday 8 October 2013
Build 14 Beta 3 Full

Blue Sloop sticks out wrong way with wind on one side just returns to center with wind on other side
Navel Sloop sticks out wrong way both sides
Pale Red Sloop sticks out wrong way with wind on one side just returns to center with wind on other side
Naval cutter sticks out wrong way both sides in both color variants.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE: Start Devlin Opera, select ship, change nothing else, sail around in a circle and observe sail move opposite flag. First time I encountered this bug I went to the port controllers office and got the "magic" stuff so I could observe wind and confirm it was sail and not flag going wrong way.

I just took a look at them and the sloop yards are badly modeled. I tried to fix them years ago and all I could do was make them less bad. It will take someone who can use Maya to fix them.

The Cutters have not been looked at in years also. At the time I could not fix them but now I can. Will see what I can do.

This is not a code problem but a model problem that has existed since 2003.

I do believe that the 2 Cutters are now fixed but have not tested them in game yet. It might be possible to replace the Sloop main sails with the Cutter sails, but that still leaves the sloop top sail pointing in the wrong direction. Will investigate more. :nerbz

Last edited:
More sails pointing in the RIGHT direction is always a good thing! :cheers

I haven't gotten close enough to one yet to be sure, but it might have the reverse lighting bug.

:facepalm I could have fixed them the easy way if I had known that. Time to go buy one so I can see for myself.

Oh! just to make sure I'm understanding it right, we cant "repaint" hulls at the moment, each color is a separate model to test? for instance the two cutters you posted were same cutter two different paint jobs?

All colour versions of the ships are technically their own models.
However, they use the same hull, rigging and stats, they are set up to allow "repainting" (actually: ship-swapping) at the shipyards.
Not all ships allow it, but many do.

Any ship can be repainted, but it is a time consuming job. Those two Cutters are the same ship with different paint and decks.

Fixed proper this time.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/GgGpvkxhwq/after Beta 3 ships/Cutter 1 & 2.7z

beta3 2013-11-10 14-36-48-47.jpg

Ok I have to go by description here. the white and brown Cutter is missing its boom and top rigging. The royal Navy paint job one is looking good, rotates right, has all its parts and they aren't inside out.

While we're at it, did anyone ever fix the lugger? I remember that one acting strangely close hulled, but I haven't been able to play on any recent updates.

The cutter1 and cutter2 files go into your POTC--->resource--->models--->ships folder. They replace the existing ones unless you remove or rename the old ones first.

The luggers have not been touched in over 2 years.

Back