• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Maybe a really good progress in graphical improvement...

I also saw a topic about AOP but I didn't mention POTC because according to the main page, it appears Vorontsov has ceased his activities :(

I've a lot of work at the moment, so that's all I can furnish now, I don't know if they're arsty enough but they permit to see the effects of the mod ; I hope it'll be enough for ModDB, don't forget to use the updated settings attached in one of the post, they're better than the base one, they don't alter the menus :)

Attachments

• screenshots.rar
    732.5 KB · Views: 90
Thanks a lot for all your hard work, Seb!
I posted this to the ModDB now, the program AND the screenshots.
See here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/downloads/enb-improved-graphics

We should definitely mention this in the manual at some point, maybe include one of the before and after screen shots. Nice work Seb!

I concur! This be news indeed :3

Pieter gave me a good idea to start doing forum archaeology! You never know where some hardworking soul had put in some prior work to sate our Christmas wishes!

And yes, I shall definitely be putting this into the manual... although I may not be able to enjoy the improved graphics myself; my computer is 5 years old already.

It's indeed really cool to have some improvements to the game engine after so long.
It does require a lot more system resources, but it's certainly better anyway.

Putting it in the manual sounds good to me.
I wonder if it can be included in the installer file as optional component.
Does anyone have much knowledge about making installer files?
And we'd need to provide a deinstaller, which currently there isn't...

Thanks a lot guys :) I'm also glad to see that potc now has it's kind of "post treatment" Yarrr!

Installers are wonderfully simple to create, so long as I'm paid (j/k).

However, I won't be able to create the runme.bat thing so you do that!

I can make 'simple' installers, like the ones for the Build mod.
I reckon it should be possible to add 'components' also, but I'm not sure.
Batch files are easy. :razz

Basing on the fact COAS also uses storm engine, I guess it should work, more over COAs uses dX9 functionalities, so we might even have some more effects, that could be something we could test seriously!

Worth a try, certainly. Some of our CoAS players should give it a test. :cheeky

Guys, is there any support for bumpmaps ?
There is a "UseEnvBump" mentioned in the warning section of the readme...
Would be most intresting to apply some bump mapping to the ships at least

BTW i can`t find a specific forum, appears to be down

Not sure how to do it in Maya, but the gm model format definitely has room for a second (optional) texture for each submesh, which is for the normal map (that is, bumpmap). So I'd say the engine already supports it (and some of the stock models do have that bump texture).
You just have to figure out how to apply that second texture in Maya (my guess is use whatever is Maya' s standard way of applying bump maps) and get that exported. Have you even tried what happens when you do assign a bumpmap texture in Maya? :mm

Who did the Kraken tentacles again? He applied two textures to them in Maya and got that to work.
Check with him. :yes

Has anyone been using this? I have since I got my new laptop and it seems to run nice and smooth.
It also seems to work for CoAS, though it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference there.

On FireBat's suggestion, I had a look to see if I could change the green text when you start the game to remove the GTA Vice City reference.
Eventually I found that through HEX editing, I could indeed. So now in my game, it says "Storm Engine" instead.
See attached. This seems to be the only file required for the change.
In fact, I removed "d3d9.dll" and it still works.

=D great! that little green reference to GTA was really bothering me! About the d3d9, originally I included it in the case we could make the DX9 mode function with POTC, but it didn't happend ^^'

I thought it might be something like that. Thanks for clarifying. :doff
In the meantime, I also removed "d3dx9_31.dll" and it still seems to work.

Back