• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Missing Ropes on Royal Brig

Yes normally you don't want to be altering the length of the names but it can be done. I don't know what hex editor you use but I use XVI32 and in the edit section it is possible to rename things to a different length. I normally avoid that as it is too easy to make mistakes. That is one reason why I always keep at least one other POTC install around for a backup. I currently have 3. :pirate07:

I have not started on the brigroyal yet but will soon.

Yes - same editor (since I picked it up on the forum when I started to get back into such things). I did change the lengths and fitted the resultant string into the available space. However I was trying hex (A-F) numbering too so that might have been the culprit. Either way it was the engine that reported a corrupt model (or whatever phrase it used in system.log) and the game crashed when you left the ship because it needed an external view (it seemed to allow you on deck OK) - so I worked round that for now by matching the lengths without hexadecimal. Having passed on something working I may well go back to breaking it again at my end to see if I can fool with it.

For future reference when you do start can you tell me if the former fal on rey_A6 shows up as a rope (ie does hexediting produce a usable result) - I wouldn't have a clue where to look so don't know if that worked or if the extra visible ropes are just former fals that were in the tool editable GM files.

Well each to their own but a new start in free play gives it you by default? :pirateraft

Incidentally the error I made with mast3 :boom:with ropee5 (as now is) connected the sternmost of the two dangling pulley blocks to somewhere on the bowsprit (if you know what I mean and if that's the right term) I had it as ropee4 (and it presumably went to ropeb4 as well as the correct companion rope the correct ropee4 did - certainly it was in the right direction for the appearance of the pulley but it would foul the lower sheet on the front mast when it was unfurled so needs to be about the base of the foremast I suspect. Anyway it seems that one locator rope (ropee5 mast3) certainly needs picking up to fix rather than deletion. Now the block is back to mid air dangling again.

Yes it does. It also causes problems for me when I try to run more than one game at a time. POTC always makes me hunt around for the one I want to play and sometimes it just disappears. I was hoping to avoid that.

Ahh! The profile disappears problem - it's there but it isn't. Well there's no rush.

At least you'll know one when you see one :keith

So I broke down and started a new game in a backup install with this ship. I can see why I never choose it as it has a large crew and no holds to speak of, making it useful only as a naval/pirate ship.

So I installed your work and took her out to sea. Ole! Salute! This is the hilarity I mentioned before. The Storm engine is weak and easily confused so extra care must be used to clearly separate each of the groups.
POTC FX 2015-11-16 14-20-17-56.jpg POTC FX 2015-11-16 14-20-35-11.jpg POTC FX 2015-11-16 14-20-37-52.jpg

Yeh :shock so as I said I now know a bit more of what I don't know and no shortcuts! :rumgone my ropes should only go where the fal's went but apparently not :sick even the one from the lower pulley block seems to have disappeared?

Have fun in putting her right -square one may be as good if not a better starting place.
The only remaining question is does hex editing :type1contribute anything to the corrupted model situation

Last edited:
This is a very complicated little ship that was not originally intended for POTC. Maybe it works in AOP but no way no how does it work in POTC. If a rope in mast1 is named the same as a rope in mast3, then the engine will try to connect them there instead of to the closer end of the same name. Or it might not connect them at all and just let them float randomly.

I just started renaming ropes starting on the underside of the bowsprit and it got even worse as expected. I will be trying the hex editing thing soon also and I expect it to work just fine. I also do take lots of screenies and make them my desktop for quick reference on what went wrong where.
POTC FX 2015-11-16 15-03-20-00.jpg

EDIT: That looks good!

I went back and installed all of the content you posted. I made the mistake of thinking that files with the same names were updated versions of older files. Instead they are all different parts of the ship. :facepalm

It looks pretty close to being finished so please continue. :thumbs1
POTC FX 2015-11-16 15-39-38-16.jpg

Hey, that DOES actually look better than she did! No more floating rigging at last. :woot

Here's the finished article as far as I am able to do anything

Except - hold everything - it is now giving a shed load of bad rope data entries - and it's for different ropes on different game loads with nothing changed between loads. :shock

Perhaps it didn't like my extending a mast3 locator position into mast2 model territory for that last rope. Back to the drawing board (well Tool and trial and error) - shame it looks OK to my definitely untrained eye. Damned computer

EDIT That does indeed seem to be the cause since it settled back to the one expected bad rope when I removed the intruding locator - so all I have to do is recreate the end point in mast2 instead of mast3 (when I can work out the relevant co-ordinates)

Last edited:
Except - hold everything - it is now giving a shed load of bad rope data entries - and it's for different ropes on different game loads with nothing changed between loads. :shock
Are there any other ships in the scene? That could explain the varying issues each time.

Yes that seems to have been what was happening. I did wonder how it was calling up bad ropes for numbers I had never seen - just thought it was "false" reporting. I always jump to the conclusion that it is something I have done (usually true). There are no bad rope references out in clear water - although it did give me the chance to tie the rope to mast2 model just for practice - so I have two versions now. Panic over

Yes that seems to have been what was happening. I did wonder how it was calling up bad ropes for numbers I had never seen - just thought it was "false" reporting. I always jump to the conclusion that it is something I have done (usually true).
Indeed when checking texture and locator log entries on ships, it is usually best to do it in a scene where no other ships around around.
As much as I would wish it wasn't so, system.log doesn't distinguish between different ships. :(

although it did give me the chance to tie the rope to mast2 model just for practice - so I have two versions now. Panic over
Please let me know which one is your "final" version; then I can add that one in my game and not one of the others. ;)

the last one I posted at 12.29 has all the model files that go to make up the ship in it - so that's all you need.

Excellent work! :onya

Yes the bad rope thing is a PITA. If you are at Tortuga and a ship at Santo Domingo has bad ropes, then those ropes show up. The only way to test for bad ropes is to sail into the open sea in the world map and then drop into direct sail, save, and then exit and take a look.

Back