• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

modifying the rumors

morgan terror

Magnificent bastard
Storm Modder
Public Relations
i'm working on tweaking those things a bit, but have a question or two first.

1. in RESOURCE/INI/TEXTS/ENGLISH is a file called rumour_strings. how does this relate to the Rumour_Data file in the PROGRAM folder?
2. Rumour_Data still uses the old island names, but does not have any code that modifies them according to the time period, as in rumour_strings. should it?

i've finished modding it, in any case. just need that info of yours so i can upload it without having to worry about bugs.

actually, screw that. i designed it in such a way that this shouldn't cause bugs regardless of what the files have to do with each other, since i modded them both. have a ball.

regardless, the fact that the code to change island names isn't present in rumour_data IS a bit odd, and i'd think it's worth investigating.

EDIT: attachement is broken and should not be downloaded!

Attachments

• rumour mod.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 72
it shouldn't. but my other, more frankenstinian creations would say otherwise...

anyway, just keep talking to NPC's until you see something new. i also modified one existing rumor which made no sense at all. i think it predated the new islands mod. there's also one specific rumor which you'll only find on cuba.

hang on, pistoff, i made a mistake. one of the files wasn't placed in the correct folder. the upload's fixed now, but you should put rumour_strings into the ENGLISH folder, which it wasn't.

allright guys, something seems to have gone wrong. i'm working on fixing it, but i think i know what it is.

i can't seem to remove that attachement up there. the site logs me out as soon as i try. in fact, it logs me out whenever i try to edit in full editor.

oh, thank god, i fixed it. at least the game starts now. this is the file you need.

here's a tip: wordpad files and C++ files look damn similar. identical icons do NOT help. it WILL make the difference between an instant crash and lack of one.

POTC would not start for you? It starts and runs fine for me... .:eek:ops2 Maybe this new one will break something. :cheers

i think my computer is a bit picky in terms of file extensions, accesses and the like. it should work for everyone now. also, there was a minor typo in there, so you might want to replace the files with the new ones anyway.

i also like how there's only one download but many viewers. like they're waiting to see what happens when you give it a go.

The .c file in the PROGRAM folder contains the actual code to put the rumours into the game.
The INI file in the RESOURCE folder is used for the display texts and translation purposes and such,
generally confusing things because we've only done all modding work in English, but it's still required.
The text lines in both files need to match up exactly, otherwise things can get dodgy.

To get the correct names in the rumour strings, you should replace Greenford with #sGreenford# for the town name and, for example, Redmond with #sisland_Redmond# for the island names.
It comes recommended to do this even for the non-stock islands, because some of them can be renamed depending on the time period.
Note that this change should be made only in the INI file and only between the { and } signs and not in the part of the text before that.
If this does not display properly, let me know and I'll have to check where the rumour display code is and add the preprocessor code in there; I had to do that for item descriptions quite recently too.

Are the trading rumours still somewhat accurate? I'm thinking there's a good chance they aren't; I don't think they've been updated since Build 12, which didn't include any new islands.

allright, seems i've already done everything as i was supposed to, except for one mistake, which i corrected in the following attachement. does the order in which the rumors appear matter though? i already put them in the exact same order in each file, but i moved the trading tips further down the list. will that matter? speaking of the trading rumors, i hardly trade, so i wouldn't know. i did notice that there's none of them for the new islands though.

the reason why you might not have noticed anything is because the new rumors might be drowned out by the already excisting ones. i'll go check it myself.

Attachments

• rumour mod v2.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 56
with that out of the way, i've set to work on some item discriptions. one particular thing i noticed is that there's two swords called falchions, which are both in the game, but different swords entirely. do i need to change more than just the name between { }? i'm talking about ItemsDescribe. i'm thinking of calling the heavier of the two a machete, by the way.

I didn't play much last night and normally don't pay attention to rumours anyway, but they are using the correct island names now. Another one!

here you go. i also changed a lot of the other item names so they follow the text notification properly when you find them. it used to be 'you found a <100 gold>, so i changed the item name to <pouch containing 100 gold> and things like that, so they follow the standard text snippet properly (in a grammatical sense). i left the quest items and such alone as a precaution, and other items that didn't follow that kind of dialogue anyway. the file goes in RESOURCE/INI/TEXTS/ENGLISH as well.

Nice work Morgan, I allways though there should be some descriptions changed.
So, can you say the general things you changed both in the rumors files and the descriptions so I can check them out? :keith

Back