• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Abandoned Multiplayer mod?

Would you like multiplayer in the current POTC

• Yeah - no biggie but ill play it when im not playinig bf pirates

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Yes - Ill play it all the time

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • Nah - ill dl it play it to have a look but not much else

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • No - community to small wouldnt get a game

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
Hi all,

I would like only to reassume an impression I had some time ago.

For me the management of the world map in PotC could be a quite enormous obstacle in the multiplayer realization. I think it would be quite difficult to manage the time acceleration in worldmap. Furthermore if you do not use the worldmap you do not have isles and other ships. I think that for these reasons the multplayer patch should completely change the game in order to work.

Bye, Mith.

Well sampow if you find time feel free to contact me! Acer39 player vs ai vs ai vs player poses a problem. I'm not saying it's impossible but it would mean synchronising all AI with all players which would take some serious connection and programming power. But we'll see...

Hello Kuhn, :D

Welcome to these waters! xD::

Mithrandir, well, you have a point there, but I assume starting small and evolving it could be a nice approach.

this could start by simply being able to choose a ship and having an Online Battle amongst 2 or more people at a predetermined Location, open sea or near and island...

Kuhn could of cource explain more of how he would like to aproach this, but it is a start...then as more is discovered, this could move to Multiplayer Campaign including world map etc...

Well the plan is to start small. It would just be a small deathmatch style affair first in a predetermined location. There would be either land or sea mode I guess. Moving onto some kind of larger scale project involving a lot more if not all of the map would be good later on but as mentioned would be a big challenge due to the way in which the game works.

a myultiplayer would be great :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
thanks for (trying) to make a muliplayer for us kuhn :mrgreen:

ok, well i havent looked in this forum in a while, so could someone tell me, has anyone either tried making the multiplayer yet, or is it EVEN POSSIBLE? i think it could be, yet itll probably take a LONG TIME, but worth the wait

I had a idea...

If you consider an isle, for example Isla Muelle, you can see that it is composed by several minor isles. Why not consider these minor isles as major, an putting them very, very distant from the principal? In such a way you should have a quite great arcipelago... The problem of the existence of only one isle is eliminated!

What do you think?

Bye, Mith.

<!--`QuoteBegin-NathanKell`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NathanKell)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Nope. Been brought up quite a few times, but not possible for POTC.[/quote]

how bad is it ? just how much is tied into those DLL's ? xD:

Now this would be sweet. Too bad I knowing bugger all about modding. I can't wait to see if this works, good luck Kuhn and thanks for trying. xD:

i think its a great idea.. one things though.. it wouldnt be difficult to implement once multiplay is already done, and could just as easily work by IP adress as per normal server, but could we please (if this is gonna happen) remember LAN play when making this..

-kuhn-- said:
Hey,  
      Sorry for going back to a really old post (just looking through) but I have to disagree with you saying it is impossible.  
The reason it was possible for GTA3 (and therefore Vice City) was that, at one point in its development, Rockstar were thinking about adding a multiplayer mode, then decided against it, so the bare bones of a multiplayer mode was in the coding.
As one of the creators of one the GTA3 multiplayer mods I can certainly tell you it had nothing to do with what you said. Rockstar North (creators) left a few comments and a bit of coding but non of it was useful in creating the mod. Infact till I moved onto 'C' coding the mod was entirely done in 'VB'.
Same can be done with POTC I believe, although I'm not saying it'd be perfect working straight away. I got to say there is a heck of a lot more coding available for editing in POTC than in GTA3.

--kuhn-- :p:

Hmm, interesting. I didn't know that. As for the possibility of a MP mod for PoTC, I think PoTC uses the same sort of engine as Morrowind. If I am correct in thinking this, I would check exactly how similar the engine is, as I do have it on the authority of a professional coder who has extensively studied Morrowind that such a thing is impossible for that game without hacking the engine in ways that would breach certain laws. Of course, PoTC could be sufficiently different that this is not true for it, but I'd check before you get your ass sued off. :p:

(P.S. Yes, I know it took a while for me to respond, but I ain't been around here for a while. :cheers )

Well, if you're willing to write an external program, that _does_ rather open things up.
In that, you can get ship and character positions, and change health, via scripts, and probably force firing as well.
So if your external program can hook those variables, then you're on your way.

I too would recommend limiting it to just deathmatch (or coop) in sea or land mode, not trying to make quests or wdmap run.

Hello i have the answer to your problems :b: hehehehehehe :? just joking :cry

Oki,

For the Morowind Fans here. POTC has nothing to do with that Engine. The only similarity between the two Games is that they are Published by the same Company Bethesda, and hence, the misunderstanding about the engines.

POTC is made by Akella, and uses their own STORM 2.0 Engine, it is version 2.0 as Sea Dogs (the `prre-cursor`/prequel of POTC) was STORM 1.0

Hope this is usefull somehow to any of you undertaking this endeavor :?

Hmm, interesting. I didn't know that. As for the possibility of a MP mod for PoTC, I think PoTC uses the same sort of engine as Morrowind. If I am correct in thinking this, I would check exactly how similar the engine is, as I do have it on the authority of a professional coder who has extensively studied Morrowind that such a thing is impossible for that game without hacking the engine in ways that would breach certain laws. Of course, PoTC could be sufficiently different that this is not true for it, but I'd check before you get your ass sued off.  

(P.S. Yes, I know it took a while for me to respond, but I ain't been around here for a while.  )

the engine file is offlimits....you can't give it out for potc. says so if you take the time to read the "`read-me`". so modding the engine would be pointless, unless we had permision to mod it and distribuet it....but thats not happening with akella :?:

Back