• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Nation's ranks - new ideas

A Drop O' Rum was meant to code the new reward system based on my excel file, but I haven't seen him around here for a while. :shrug

Hey there guys, sorry for leaving you hanging :brr
I will continue working on the reward system right away.

That's great news! Welcome back, matey! :drunk

I still had a file "Reward_ships.xls" in my PotC folder, so I today figured I'd actually get that fully operational in the game.
The final result is that for each nation, on one of the promotions, you will get a ship as reward. Each nation and each time period gets a different ship.
This seems like a good place to showcase some of our new models, so if you've got any better ideas than the ones posted below, please let me know.

In the meantime, this is what I've got; I tried to come up with some semi-correct ship names for all ships to make them all a bit more unique.

ENGLAND
Code:
case PERIOD_EARLY_EXPLORERS:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Revenge1", "HMS Revenge", -1, ENGLAND, true, false);
break;

case PERIOD_THE_SPANISH_MAIN:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "RN_Poseidon", "HMS Poseidon", -1, ENGLAND, true, false);
break;

case PERIOD_GOLDEN_AGE_OF_PIRACY:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Mordaunt1", "HMS Mordaunt", -1, ENGLAND, true, false);
break;

case PERIOD_COLONIAL_POWERS:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "HMS_Surprise", "HMS Surprise", -1, ENGLAND, true, false);
break;

case PERIOD_REVOLUTIONS:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Bellona1", "HMS Bellona", -1, ENGLAND, true, false);
break;

case PERIOD_THE_CORSICAN:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Victory1", "HMS Victory", -1, ENGLAND, true, false);
break;
HOLLAND
Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "NL_Fleut50", "Batavia", -1, HOLLAND, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "NL_SevenProvincien", "Zeven Provincien", -1, HOLLAND, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "NL_ConvoiShip", "Wapen van Hoorn", -1, HOLLAND, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "NL_Lineship1", "Vergulde Draeck", -1, HOLLAND, true, false);
break;

case PERIOD_REVOLUTIONS:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "NL_TwoDecker47", "Halve Maen", -1, HOLLAND, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "NL_Amsterdam", "Amsterdam", -1, HOLLAND, true, false);
break;
FRANCE
Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Couronne1", "La Couronne", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "La_Licorne", "La Licorne", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "FR_Boussole", "La Boussole", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "FR_SuperiorWarship2", "La Fayette", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;

case PERIOD_REVOLUTIONS:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "FR_BattleFrigate", "La Artémise", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Superbe1", "La Superbe", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;
SPAIN
Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "SP_BattleGalleon_Weathered", "Natividad", -1, SPAIN, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Felipe1", "Apostól Felipe", -1, SPAIN, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "SP_Galeon50", "Santiago el Mayor", -1, SPAIN, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "SP_Battleship1", "Nuestra Senora del Pilar", -1, SPAIN, true, false);
break;

case PERIOD_REVOLUTIONS:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "SP_Battleship2", "Magdalena", -1, SPAIN, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Manowar_spa", "San Juan", -1, SPAIN, true, false);
break;
PORTUGAL
Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "CaravelR1", "Santa María", -1, PORTUGAL, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "PO_Caravel50", "São Gabriel", -1, PORTUGAL, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "PO_Fleut50", "Cinco Chagas", -1, PORTUGAL, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "PO_FastNavy", "Misericórdia", -1, PORTUGAL, true, false);
break;

case PERIOD_REVOLUTIONS:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Frigate5_44", "Santo António", -1, PORTUGAL, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "PO_Manowar", "São Sebastião", -1, PORTUGAL, true, false);
break;
AMERICA
Code:
case PERIOD_REVOLUTIONS:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "US_Constitution", "USS Constitution", -1, AMERICA, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "US_SteamFrigate", "USS Hudson", -1, AMERICA, true, false);
break;
Any thoughts on improvement of the selection would be much appreciated. :doff

I'm liking that much more already. :onya This is especially good for the Portagees because by the time you get to that point a caravel doesn't cut it anymore and you want a frigate at least.

Now if there was just some way to get the officers working properly. The Portagee officer is the worst as he won't set foot on land, but the others aren't quite right as one often ends up with two of each.

The only difference in coding with the officers for each nation is the model used, so that doesn't make much sense. :wacko:

ENGLAND
Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Revenge1", "HMS Revenge", -1, ENGLAND, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "RN_Poseidon", "HMS Poseidon", -1, ENGLAND, true, false);
break;
I don't think the 'HMS' prefix existed in the time of the first two periods.
I can't remember exactly when it was introduced, but I think it would make sense to remove it from those periods.

FRANCE
Code:
case PERIOD_REVOLUTIONS:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "FR_BattleFrigate", "La Artémise", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;
Careful with that; should be "L'Artémise", because otherwise it goes against French pronunciation rules. ;)

Looks pretty good, but I do have a few comments and questiions on it. Is it only possible to have a single reward ship for a given period? also there are (I think) a few inaccuracies.

La Boussole is based of the HMS Surprise, which was originally the french corvette Unite launched in 1794... way after the golden age of piracy. plus she is much more modern than a stock battleship which I think is what the reward ship for the next period is based on, so maybe the order of the two could be switched at the very least? also did you mean to name the french superior warship after the Marquis de Lafayette? cause if so it is only one word, not La Fayette. another thing is the USS Constitution and L'Artimise... IF there could be multipe reward ships for a period I would say put them in the corsican period, because The Constitution herself wasn't launched till 1797, and Frigates that large were unheard of before that. I mean Chapman designed some, but those were about the only ones, and they were Swedish and looked very different from the Constitution. I would salso say move the Boussole to Revolutions, simply because she is about the same size as frigates from that era, and L'Artimise and Constitution to the Corsican because they wouldn't have exsisted before that. I realise that leaves a spot open in colonial powers or the golden age of piracy, maybe the Neptunus would work well? Im not sure if shes quite in game yet though.

I did the above only as a start; anyone would be welcome to do a better job at it. We could have more promotion ships for different promotions, but for now just one per nation per period is what we've got.

The "La Fayette" name I found when looking for French navy ship names on Wikipedia. :shrug

If we go with one ship per nation per period and move the USS Constitution down, we'd have nowhere to put the Steamfrigate.
On the other hand, if we'd keep the Steamfrigate, we'd have nowhere to put the Constitution. :facepalm

I don't have the Neptunis in my game yet, that's for sure. :?

If you want, could you take my above list and make the changes you would think are necessary?
My knowledge for historical realism isn't very good, so there's nothing much I can do here.
My main concern was getting the code written and then it'll be easy enough for anyone to swap ships around and such.

Ah well I said that about the Constitution and L'Artimise based on the assumption that more than one ship per period could be done. Yea I mean I know far less than you about coding, I thought you meant suggestions about which ships go in which periods and such, my bad. with only 1 ship per period, heres what I would do for the the French ships, the others are fine if youre just going with one ship per period right now, better the Constitution before the steamship than the other way around. :onya

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Couronne1", "La Couronne", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "La_Licorne", "La Licorne", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "FR_SuperiorWarship2", "Conquérant", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;

GiveShip2Character(pchar, "FR_Boussole", "La Boussole", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;

case PERIOD_REVOLUTIONS:
GiveShip2Character(pchar, "Superbe1", "La Superbe", -1, FRANCE, true, false);
break;

break;

It is possible to have as many reward ships in a period as you want. First you earn your ship by working your way up the ladder. Get your ship. Then resign your rank and start over again. Once you have built yourself up to that level it is easy to advance and get a reward ship again. :d:

The Neptunus is working well in testing. I could put her on the FTP as is tomorrow, but want to tweak those sails some more. They still billow out too much. Do you want to look at her Pieter?

While the Neptunus is a well balanced ship and will be one of my favorites she is a bit small to be a reward ship. She is smaller than a light frigate and really can't stand up against the big ships. Trust me. I tried......:eek:ops2

I've put your suggested changes in my game now; cheers, Captain Armstrong! :doff

You can finish the Neptunis the way you want first, Hylie. :onya

Again, just a quick note about the French names. :cheeky
La Superbe should be Le Superbe, and La Artémise should be L'Artémise as before.
If you're going to be consistent and use the Le/La/L' prefixes, then Conquérant should also be Le Conquérant.

Adjusted accordingly; cheers, mate! :doff
I had already caught the L'Artémise one. :wp

Back