• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Need help with engine crash on windows 8

I don't see any option for DXTweaker to select a particular video card and driver, unless it's the "Ident Changer", in which case I'm havig trouble figuring out what to put in the fields.

Indeed if you already have performance and stability issues, I would not recommend using it. :no

Its the ident changer indeed. you need to fill in the right info there. I cant show you now but that info should be here:
Go to your devices in the configuration settings
select the nvidia video card en right click on it. Select properties. I believe the tab is called details or something like that. At least all the info should be there and named the Same.

@Levis, thanks for correcting that! I was under the impression that DirectX 9 also included the older libraries, apparently it does not. Maybe I am remembering the actual 9.c install that would be different altogether though. :facepalm

You did install direct x right?

Lets recap, could you tell again what you tried by now and what the specs are and does the original game work or not?

SRACon17, do you have any Codec packs installed on your system? An old problem we used to have is ccouple of Codecs really didn't like the movie files that play right at the beginning after the game is loaded. This can happen with both sound and video Codecs.

One really handy program that I have found for dealing with codecs is called InstalledCodec, it will allow you to see all the codecs currently installed on your system, and easily turn them on and off without having to uninstall them and the reinstall them individually. The program is freeware, and you can download it from HERE!

Thagarr I removed the codecs I installed before but it didn't seem to help. Using InstalledCodec seems scary, since I don't know which ones I should edit. haha.

Levis I have windows 8.1 laptop core i7 with both intel and nvidia cards. I have set engine.exe to use the nvidia gpu in the nvidia control panel, used the indent changer in the DXTweaker, installed DirectX 9 from the game and from microsoft. Only solution I haven't done is using the microsoft application compatibility toolkit (which worked for my previous laptop with an ati card), because the game PotC is now missing from its list of applications with compatibility fixes, which is really really strange since it was there just a year ago.. using the intel fix works but the game looks terrible with that.
I actually haven't tried running the vanilla game in this laptop. Gonna try that tomorrow since it's already 1am here now lol.

using the intel fix works but the game looks terrible with that.
That tells us the problem quite clearly: For whatever reason, the game is still running from the Intel card.
No matter what else you do, neither the stock game nor the modpack will work on an Intel card without using the Intel fix.
So either you have to indeed use the Intel fix or you need to figure out yet another way of convincing the game to recognize your NVIDIA card.

I think it is possible to disable hardware in the Windows Control Panel.
Would it make any sense to find the Intel card there and simply disable it altogether?
The game can't run on a disabled GFC card, can it?

Since for some reason your laptop will not switch to your Nvidia card, this is definitely a driver or BIOS issue. There should be an option in your BIOS to disable the on-board graphics chipset completely, it should then use the Nvidia chipset. If there isn't, the way I see it mate, you have three options.

#1. As Pieter suggests, continue using the Intel fix, certainly not the preferred option.

#2. This is probably your best option, go to your laptop manufacturers web page and make sure you have all the latest driver and BIOS updates for your machine. If this doesn't solve the issue, contact them and ask them why it is not switching hardware.

#3. Contact Intel or Nvidia and ask them why it is not switching.

As for IstalledCodec, this file does not edit or remove any codecs from your system, it simply enables or disables them in the registry. There is really nothing to worry about when using it, it is MUCH easier and safer than uninstalling and reinstalling all your codecs, which is really your only other option when tracking down a bad codec.

Alright, I'll try out those. But I have read reports where disabling the intel card in device manager would just give a black screen, since the nvidia gpu is only used for high resource applications?

Reading a bit more of you can't find a bios setting either and disabling wont work then try to install a windows 7 driver for you nvidia videocard and see if you can use the options in the nvidia control panel then.

Uh, what do you mean exactly by installing a windows 7 driver for my nvidia card, when I have windows 8.1? I'll overwrite my driver with a windows 7 one? Isn't that incompatible?

W7 and 8.1 have the same kernel design so they are compatible, it's not reccomended tough.

Remember my case:

Some small progress, but with some even more bizarre colloraries:

I've managed to force PotC to use nVidia card (at least I hope that's what it uses, not 100% sure) sometimes while I disabled the Intel chipset in the device administrator, but not every time I disable it that way (maybe it only does if I run CONFIG after disabling and before running ENGINE, I dunno; needs more testing). New Game loaded fine this time.

However, the perfomance was horrendous, at least for a Geforce 820M. I've played New Horizons for years on an older laptop with a factually worse nVidia card, so I know I should be getting more FPS (and I disabled ENB).
What's worse, two interesting details caught my attention:
-The performance when allegedly running on the nVidia card is so bad even the cursor has noticeable lag on the main menu... while there is no lag when it runs on integrated graphics.
-Trying to open the nVidia control panel when the integrated graphics chipset is disabled will just promt an error telling me the screen isn't running on an nVidia device... despite that being supposedly the only enabled screen adapter remaining.

My computer's BIOS don't let me use only the nVidia GPU: It's either DISCRETE (aka both) or just integrated. If you can't either, try doing what I did: go to the control panel, Device Manager, Screen Adapters, right-click the Intel one and Disable. See how, if, it runs for you, I'm too busy with exams at the moment to solve this for now.

Back