• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved "New Horizons"

antonyzac

Professional questioner
Hi there everyone! I'm new to this forum, but I've owned the POtC X-box game since 2003 and now have the PC version...and I love it!

This is going to sound like such a stupid questions but what exactly is "New Horizons"? From what I gather, I think it's a mod made by the community but do I need it? What is different about it and will it over-ride my original saved-games?

Thanks!

"New Horizons" (also known as Build 14) is our modpack for the game. It adds an incredible amount of new content and improved gameplay.
Have a look at our ModDB profile for more details: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

You don't need it, of course. But it's a massive improvement over the original game. New game is required though.
But then there is SO much new stuff and several completely new storylines that there is no need to be bored despite that.

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks amazing! Will I have to over-write the original or can I have New Horizons separate from the original game?

You can have as many POTC installs as you want. Just name each one differently. I have a POTC C drive, POTC D drive, POTC B23, POTC stock.

Yep; just make a copy of your original game folder and install the modpack on top of that copy. Both versions should work fine. :yes

That's what we aim for! :doff

I've just started playing the modded 14 build and it's AMAZING. I especially love the fact you can enter your ship too! I have a question though.

- I'm playing Nathanial Hawk and I just arrived on an island after a storm and then went into their town, but I can't fast travel anywhere without it telling me that something's going to happen, but nothing ever does. What do I do?!

- I'm playing Nathanial Hawk and I just arrived on an island after a storm and then went into their town, but I can't fast travel anywhere without it telling me that something's going to happen, but nothing ever does. What do I do?!
You went for the Stormy Start straight away? That's not the easy option for a start, though it IS an interesting one.

Realistic Game Mode is enabled on default settings and one of its effects is that fast travel is not available for any locations you have not manually discovered yourself.
See this article for the exact details: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/features/arcade-realistic-and-iron-man-game-mode
However, if the Fast Travel icons ARE there and you get an on-screen message saying it doesn't work because something is going to happen, something else is going on.

What island are you on? Jamaica (former Redmond), by any chance? And have you witnessed the French invasion of Barbados (former Oxbay) already?

I don't even know what I clicked on! I didn't know how to navigate through different options and clicked enter and ended up on a derelict beach on Guadeloupe. I have arcade mode on and can now fast travel after leaving the island. I sailed myself to Jamaica. I have no idea what happened though.

I also turned cheat mode on and have levelled my self up but can't buy ships past level 7. Is that also meant to be the case? This just needs getting used to!

I don't even know what I clicked on! I didn't know how to navigate through different options and clicked enter and ended up on a derelict beach on Guadeloupe. I have arcade mode on and can now fast travel after leaving the island. I sailed myself to Jamaica. I have no idea what happened though.
We swapped the dialog Up/Down buttons to W and S to match with the new defaults for walking.
There is one dialog option that will strand you with only limited supplies and a damaged ship somewhere on a random island.
This is intended as an additionally challenging free play opening as opposed to the old tutorial that everybody is probably fed up with by now.
However, a few new things were added to the tutorial relating to mod-added functionality, so you might want to check up on that.

I also turned cheat mode on and have levelled my self up but can't buy ships past level 7. Is that also meant to be the case?
Yes, that is the "Restricted ship tier" mod at work. This mod means that you cannot sail larger ships when your Sailing and Leadership skills are not enough.
Unfortunately the addition of "tier 8" ships caused a bug with this mod so that you'll max out at Tier 3 instead of Tier 1.
You can still capture Tier 1 ships and sail them, but you'll have a slight penalty to your skills for doing so.

If you don't like this mod behaviour, you can disable it in the ingame Options>Advanced Options menu. New game required.
Make a save BEFORE you change the options as the "Resume" button will be disabled as soon as you go into the Options menu.
This is to prevent weird bugs from occurring after opening the Options menu. :facepalm

This just needs getting used to!
A LOT has been added and a LOT has been changed, so I can quite imagine! Especially if you never played ANY of the previous modpacks before.
But you're welcome to ask whatever you want here. We're only too happy to let you enjoy our work to its fullest extent! :cheeky

Then it looks like I clicked on that pesky "strand me on a random island with damage" option! What were the chances?

So if I turn that mod off, will I be able to buy higher level ships up to level 1 using the level up cheat again? And I just click "save" in game and then go to options and turn it off? Thanks for this!

And yes! Exactly. It's very different and tedious at the moment but I really know that I'll love it once I get used to it! Expect many more questions. Thank you for being patient :D

So if I turn that mod off, will I be able to buy higher level ships up to level 1 using the level up cheat again? And I just click "save" in game and then go to options and turn it off? Thanks for this!
There is still Realistic Ship Purchase preventing you from buying any Navy ships. You can switch that off too in the same menu.
We did that as no nation would sell their Tier 1 ships to any random person; only to trusted navy personnel.
Why don't you have a look through all the Advanced Options and set them up as you want. Then close the game, restart it and start a new game.

There is still Realistic Ship Purchase preventing you from buying any Navy ships. You can switch that off too in the same menu.
We did that as no nation would sell their Tier 1 ships to any random person; only to trusted navy personnel.
Why don't you have a look through all the Advanced Options and set them up as you want. Then close the game, restart it and start a new game.

I've just played around with the settings and started a new game...AMAZING is all I can say! It's stunned me how different but how much better the game now is. All I can say is thank you for all the hard work you've put into this!

You're very welcome! If people can enjoy our efforts, then we achieved our goal. :doff

You're very welcome! If people can enjoy our efforts, then we achieved our goal. :doff

I've just realised one small problem; when I click the "windows" button on my keyboard to exit the game (but not quit it), when I try to return to the game it just appears as a black box. I didn't have this problem in the original game though. Is there a way around this?

Also, when playing the game, the game sometimes minimises by itself. Is this a problem that I'm probably just experiencing? :8q

Open the engine.ini file in your main game folder. Find the following lines:
Code:
full_screen = 0
screen_x = 1600
screen_y = 900
Set full_screen to 0 as above and set screen_x and screen_y to your desktop resolution.
This will make the game run in "windowed" mode at your desktop resolution and allow you to Alt+Tab freely in and out without returning to a black screen. :doff

Works a charm! Thanks. One more question (last one for today, I promise!), is there any way to get into forts without the alarm being raised? I'm guessing the answer is no...

You mean the forts you can walk into from the shore-side?
You get three dialog options. The first is Luck-based, the second Fencing-based and the third Leadership-based.
There always remains a chance of it not working though, even at level 10 on all skills. But the chance will be less.

Back