• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build New musket types

No @Grey Roger you have misunderstood. There are 2 types of musket + bayonet.
The earlier type where the bayonet can be removed. In the later type it can't.

He didn't remove the bayonet for your convenience as a last act before being killed or stunned, and he certainly didn't remove it for you if you took the musket with bayonet from him with a thief's knife. xD

Both cases though: blademode is not a good starting phase to get any of those weapons. Shoulder mode will be
much safer for the switch function when used.

Maybe the code already resets blademode to shouldermode. Have to be tested.

If the rare guns are the ONLY guns available, then there isn't much variation.
Grey Roger was suggesting LESS accuracy, but more variation in his prior post as well:
Actually I was suggesting accuracy and variation. The snaplock, an early predecessor to the flintlock, was around in the 16th century and therefore valid for "Early Explorers". There were some technical differences between this and the true flintlock, but the basic mechanism of having a piece of flint in a hammer which struck a steel plate to create sparks was the same. For our purposes there's no real difference, which means the short pistol and duelling pistol would effectively be snaplocks when used in "Early Explorers".

... and I have already said yes that's ok with me.

I have checked what happens if you get any of those 2 muskets with bayonets attached as
blade items:

1 equipped you can use them as they are: blade weapons.

2 when sheathing those blades the normal switch occurs to shoulder mode. Which is necessary
to reload the guns.

Only inconsequence here is that even if you have enough ammo when receiveing those blade items
there will be no auto switch to hip mode when drawing your blade. Maybe I can add that to the code later on.

So the looting situation is ok.

Itemsdescribe needed for the blademuskets too though.

Actually I was suggesting accuracy and variation. The snaplock, an early predecessor to the flintlock, was around in the 16th century and therefore valid for "Early Explorers". There were some technical differences between this and the true flintlock, but the basic mechanism of having a piece of flint in a hammer which struck a steel plate to create sparks was the same. For our purposes there's no real difference, which means the short pistol and duelling pistol would effectively be snaplocks when used in "Early Explorers".
I ignored the part of adding a new type of pistol, because that would require more work.
Jack Rackham indicated he doesn't have much time for now and we have some other related issues to deal with too, so I figured it is best to work with what we've got until there is an opportunity to add more.
Unless you're suggesting making it a copy of an existing pistol and just giving it a more period-correct name and description; that might be doable.

... and I have already said yes that's ok with me.

I have checked what happens if you get any of those 2 muskets with bayonets attached as
blade items:

1 equipped you can use them as they are: blade weapons.

2 when sheathing those blades the normal switch occurs to shoulder mode. Which is necessary
to reload the guns.

Only inconsequence here is that even if you have enough ammo when receiveing those blade items
there will be no auto switch to hip mode when drawing your blade. Maybe I can add that to the code later on.

So the looting situation is ok.

Itemsdescribe needed for the blademuskets too though.
So.... what exactly absolutely needs being addressed now then? :oops:

I ignored the part of adding a new type of pistol, because that would require more work.
Jack Rackham indicated he doesn't have much time for now and we have some other related issues to deal with too, so I figured it is best to work with what we've got until there is an opportunity to add more.
Unless you're suggesting making it a copy of an existing pistol and just giving it a more period-correct name and description; that might be doable.
I was thinking of just making the existing short pistol, duelling pistol and brace of short pistols available to "Early Explorers" as they used to be, and make the brace of mid-size pistols available to "Spanish Main". No work needed except a bit of editing of "initItems.c" to undo the changes to those pistols.

Like this. :D

The brace of mid-size pistols, alias "pistol8", used to be available in "Early Explorers". But in "ItemsDescribe.txt", and therefore in game, that's a brace of flintlock pistols. The single flintlock pistol, alias "PiratesPistol" in "initItems.c", was and is available from "Spanish Main" onwards. This meant that in "Early Explorers" you could get the brace of flintlock pistols but not the single one. xD This version of "initItems.c" has them both available starting in "Spanish Main".

Attachments

• initItems.c
    297.9 KB · Views: 170
These 2 but not that urgent

Itemsdescribe needed for the blademuskets too.

Also maybe check that blademuskets with bayonets not are sold or found.

I was thinking of just making the existing short pistol, duelling pistol and brace of short pistols available to "Early Explorers" as they used to be, and make the brace of mid-size pistols available to "Spanish Main". No work needed except a bit of editing of "initItems.c" to undo the changes to those pistols.

Like this. :D

The brace of mid-size pistols, alias "pistol8", used to be available in "Early Explorers". But in "ItemsDescribe.txt", and therefore in game, that's a brace of flintlock pistols. The single flintlock pistol, alias "PiratesPistol" in "initItems.c", was and is available from "Spanish Main" onwards. This meant that in "Early Explorers" you could get the brace of flintlock pistols but not the single one. xD This version of "initItems.c" has them both available starting in "Spanish Main".
Didn't you already change that before? Anyway, thanks again! :cheers

Itemsdescribe needed for the blademuskets too.

I added those to the opening post, so we can find them again later.
Please edit that post further if anything needs to be changed/clarified. We can keep this thread on the main forum until they're done, so we won't forget.

Are those separate items in initItems.c? If so, we cna just set them to rare = 0.00 + skipsell = false and that should do it.

I found a bug:
example you have a pistol4 (4 shots). Firing them one by one is normal.
If you after have fired 1 shot and then sheath your blade your gun is only charged with 1 shot.
Also I had an officer with a dual-barrel pistol. He suddenly only got one left. The officer was never in fightmode.

I suspected it's in seadogs under case "ChrFightMode": so I outcommented
Code:
/*
if(LAi_IsFightMode(PChar))
                    {
                        if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(PChar, "pistolmket"))
                        {
                            PostEvent("mket_on_back", 1000, "i", PChar);
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(PChar, "blademketK"))
                        {
                            PostEvent("blademketK_as_gun", 1000, "i", PChar);
                            PostEvent("mket_on_back", 1500, "i", PChar);    //if musket on hip
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(PChar, "pistolmtoon"))
                        {
                            PostEvent("mtoon_on_back", 1000, "i", PChar);
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(PChar, "pistolmketB"))
                        {
                            PostEvent("mketB_on_back", 1000, "i", PChar);
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(PChar, "blademketB"))
                        {
                            PostEvent("blademketB_as_gun", 1000, "i", PChar);
                            PostEvent("mketB_on_back", 1500, "i", PChar);    //if musket on hip
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(PChar, "Arguebuse"))
                        {
                            PostEvent("Arguebuse_on_back", 1000, "i", PChar);
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(PChar, "pistolbbuss"))
                        {
                            PostEvent("bbuss_on_back", 1000, "i", PChar);
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(PChar, "pistol13"))
                        {
                            PostEvent("pistol13_on_back", 1000, "i", PChar);
                        }

PostEvent("mguns_reset_check", 1000, "i", PChar);

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "shield_hand"))
                        {
                            RemoveCharacterEquip(Pchar, BLADE_ITEM_TYPE );
                            TakeItemFromCharacter(Pchar, "shield_hand");
                            GiveItem2Character(Pchar, "shield_back");
                            EquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "shield_back");                               
                        }
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "pistolmket"))
                        {
                            if(charge == 1.0)
                            {
                                PostEvent("mket_on_hip", 1000, "i", Pchar);
                            }
                            else
                            {
                                if(CheckCharacterItem(Pchar, "blade_mKnife"))
                                {
                                    PostEvent("mketK_as_blade", 1000, "i", Pchar);
                                }
                            }   
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "pistolmtoon"))
                        {
                            if(charge == 1.0) PostEvent("mtoon_on_hip", 1000, "i", Pchar);   
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "pistolmketB"))
                        {
                            if(charge == 1.0)
                            {
                                PostEvent("mketB_on_hip", 1000, "i", Pchar);
                            }
                            else PostEvent("mketB_as_blade", 1000, "i", Pchar);   
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "Arguebuse"))
                        {
                            if(charge == 1.0) PostEvent("Arguebuse_on_hip", 1000, "i", Pchar);   
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "pistolbbuss"))
                        {
                            if(charge == 1.0) PostEvent("bbuss_on_hip", 1000, "i", Pchar);   
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "pistol13"))
                        {
                            if(charge == 1.0) PostEvent("pistol13_on_hip", 1000, "i", Pchar);   
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "pistolbow"))
                        {
                            int ar = GetCharacterItem(Pchar, "bladearrows");
                            if(ar >= 1)
                            {                       
                                if(!IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "bladearrows"))
                                {
                                    EquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "bladearrows");
                                }
                            }
                        }

if(IsEquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "shield_back"))
                        {
                            TakeItemFromCharacter(Pchar, "shield_back");
                            GiveItem2Character(Pchar, "shield_hand");
                            EquipCharacterByItem(Pchar, "shield_hand");                               
                        }
                    }
*/

and everything is back to normal. In the outcommented block there's no mention of pistol4 at all.

I need help to get those charges to be right. @Levis?

Need to look at this some more....

I found it. Thanks anyway @Levis. :doff

It was this line
PostEvent("mguns_reset_check", 1000, "i", PChar);
which always was called. Now moved only to those guns it was meant for.

Attachments

• seadogs.c
    83.1 KB · Views: 178
Just so you know, I didn't add all yesterday's updates to my game version (or to the ZIP) yet as I was massively distracted by the Nation Relations thing which was becoming more complicated with each passing minute. :facepalm

From "initItems.c", and from observations during "Hornblower":
Musket: damage 150/250, accuracy 80
LongRifle_C: damage 50/150, accuracy 20

If I read the figures correctly that means a rifle does less damage and is a lot less accurate than a musket.

If I read the figures correctly that means a rifle does less damage and is a lot less accurate than a musket.
Indeed looks like it. Of course the Long Rifle does have the "first person shooting" option with the telescope attached.
Feel free to change the values to something more balanced.

See attached for the calculations I did before to try to balance the guns a bit more.
Not sure if recent changes still fit in with that though.

Attachments

• Gun Stats.zip
    334.5 KB · Views: 160
The Long Rifles are meant to have a smaller calibre than muskets. Other ammo type. Maybe they make a
little less damage. On the other hand Rifles such as Sharpe's etc maybe are a more improved gun type
(for sharpshooters/snipers) and should have a higher accuracy than ordinary muskets?
There should of course be a huge difference for Long Rifles accuracy if equipped with telescope or not.

@Jack Rackham: Actually, there IS one last thing that could be done here; just remembered!
The distance between some of the rifles and the characters' backs is sometimes quite large, making them look like they're floating behind the characters.
If anything can be done about that, it would look even nicer than it does now. :cheeky

Yes I know, it's on my list. I take it after the GoldBug.
All loading images and a lot of minor fixes done, only the storyteller left now.

The distance between some of the rifles and the characters' backs is sometimes quite large, making them look like they're floating behind the characters.
If anything can be done about that, it would look even nicer than it does now. :cheeky
If at all possible, it would be nice to have that tweaked prior to the Beta 4 public release.
But it isn't a huge concern either way.

Back