• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved New to Build 14

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Having enjoyed Build 13 for some time, I've finally decided to try my luck with Build 14 Beta 3. It certainly looks nicer. At first.

So the Caribbean is now more realistic, ships look more realistic and sail more realistically, then the whole thing is spoiled by a cursed coin. You don't even have the choice to resist temptation because it jumps into your pocket and resists all attempts to get rid of it. You turn into a skeleton at night and all uniformed guards hate you. Nobody else seems bothered that you've lost weight, but it does make moving around at night more difficult, and while one workround would be to stay at sea until day, some events in the story require you to be in town at night. You're not immortal like a proper cursed pirate. Worse, your sails look ragged and there's a smoke screen which doesn't stop enemies from shooting at your ship but does stop you firing guns manually. According to the manual you're supposed to collect 882 coins - blow that! Is there any way to disable this mod? Otherwise I'll try to limp along by reloading a previous saved game any time I find a coin. Or else it's back to Build 13, because cursed coins really spoil the game for me. And I don't want to have to do that because without the cursed coins this is much improved over Build 13.

How do I give ammo to my boarders? The store in Redmond, now Port Royale, doesn't have the option to sell ammo as he did in Build 13. Do I really need to keep buying as much powder and bullets as I can carry, go to the ship, dump it in the weapons locker, go back to town, repeat until there's enough to go round? Will that even work? (There are 6 loads of powder and 6 pistol bullets in the locker already and the boarders don't seem to have found them.)

The cursed coin is planned to be redone. Thats all I an say about it now. Working on a temp fix to make sure it wont jump in your pocket

The accursed cursed coin only has to be dealt with one time. After that you can sell it. When you get it, drop everything and do what you gotta do to get rid of it, then continue normally.

Yup! :yes You clearly know about the curse. So its all about taking it into action. :bird:
Here's a clue: :checklist:sail:pflag:treasure::onya

You do NOT need to collect 882 coins. Are you crazy? I may be a bit evil, but not THAT evil!
All you need to do is to return that ONE coin to Isla de Muerta. The other 881 are already in there.
You can get yourself uncursed in approximately 5 minutes game time or so.

You ARE able to take ALL those 882 coins for yourself, but you have to do that on purpose.
If you SELL all those, then you ARE going to be in a sticky spot. Just like the pirates in the first PotC film.
That could make for some fun alternate cursed gameplay. But it's up to you whether you want to do that or not.

If you really don't like this, open PROGRAM\Storyline\[Storyline].c and make sure the ISLA_DE_MUERTA line at the bottom looks like this:
Code:
AddStorylineVar(n, "ISLA_DE_MUERTE", "0");     // PB: Curse not in effect, but can visit Isla de Muerte
New game required. The curse will now NOT be in effect for randomly found coins.

Thanks, I'll try that next time I have to restart. Meanwhile, the game is supposed to be more realistic and the only realistic way for me to turn into a skeleton is to die, so that's how I'll treat the curse - the same way as if I'd died any other way. Reload last saved game. (It takes somewhat more than 5 minutes to get to Isla Muerte, and that's assuming I can even find it. Do you still need to also find someone and get something before you're allowed to find Isla Muerte? Because another thread indicated that it's supposed to be north of Cayman, so I went there and the only thing north of Cayman is Cuba.)

I've tried downloading Build 14 Beta 3.1 and the installation files seem to be the same as Beta 3 - is this the case? The installer program is new and considerably larger, though.

Because another thread indicated that it's supposed to be north of Cayman, so I went there and the only thing north of Cayman is Cuba.)
Since the Caribbean map was reworked, Isla de Muerte is no longer north of Cayman where it used to be. Still requires the same object to find it, but try searching south of Cayman instead. ;)

I've tried downloading Build 14 Beta 3.1 and the installation files seem to be the same as Beta 3 - is this the case? The installer program is new and considerably larger, though
The contents archive remains the same, but the installer is what contains the update files. The installer gives you the option to extract the update onto an existing Beta 3 without needing to reinstall the whole thing over the base game.

OK, it's too much trouble to get rid of the coin the official way. As I said, realistically if I'm a skeleton then I'm dead, so reload the last saved game where I was alive. I'll apply Pieter's patch to correct the problem for future games.

Next question: if you capture a ship and assign as captain an officer who isn't supposed to command something that big, what happens? Does the ship get lost, lose morale, or just not function as well in a battle?

There were some problems with low rank officers but those should be ironed out. Now a low rank officer in a large ship should just perform badly, like before. Unless his reputation is bad in which case you could get a mutiny.

Do you still need to also find someone and get something before you're allowed to find Isla Muerte? Because another thread indicated that it's supposed to be north of Cayman, so I went there and the only thing north of Cayman is Cuba.)
The island has been moved with the updating of the Worldmap.
Once it is active, it'll show up on your [M] Map interface as well, so shouldn't be too hard to find.

I've tried downloading Build 14 Beta 3.1 and the installation files seem to be the same as Beta 3 - is this the case? The installer program is new and considerably larger, though.
All the changed files are included in the installer EXE file; the 7-Zip archive remains the same and does not need to be redownloaded.

OK, it's too much trouble to get rid of the coin the official way. As I said, realistically if I'm a skeleton then I'm dead, so reload the last saved game where I was alive. I'll apply Pieter's patch to correct the problem for future games.
Execute this line through PROGRAM\console.c:
Code:
TakeItemFromCharacter(PChar, "cursedcoin");
Then use F12 to instantly get rid of it.

Epilogue:
Still doing the main quest, I didn't want to have to restart so I haven't had a chance to apply Pieter's patch. I had, however, taken a detour, sailing from Port Royale to San Juan via a certain place where I meet a certain person and get a certain thingy. Even so, normally if I found a naughty coin I'd reload a saved game. One time though, I'd found an enemy fleet. The game was behaving itself and hadn't crashed, I'd captured some of the enemy ships and boarded, looted and sunk more, there were only a couple more ships to go, and then I found a naughty coin. Not wanting to have wasted all that effort, I decided this time to accept it and take it to its home. That decision was rewarded by finding a second naughty coin in the next ship!

It took rather longer than the 5 minutes mentioned earlier. Partly because Isla de Muerte is at the other side of the Caribbean from where all the quest-related action was happening. And partly because when I got there I had to cruise round the island trying to find the landing spot, made harder when the wind changed direction. But I eventually found the landing spot, found the cave and put the coins where they wanted to be.

There's a point in the main quest where you meet Danielle near the lighthouse, she's after Rheims and her sidekick knows where he is, so you report back to Silehard with the good news and return to the lighthouse, where Danielle moans about how long you took. She moans even in the stock game where it's only a short hop from Greenford to Redmond. It's rather longer in the expanded Caribbean of the Build Mods. But she really has a good reason to complain if you've just taken a detour to Isla de Muerte. :wp

LOL! :rofl

Indeed those "5 minutes" were a random number, based mainly on Arcade Game Mode with PLENTY of time compression applied.
I'm glad you managed to figure it out though. Do you still think that curse is overly evil now? :oops:

The coins aren't too bad except for the smoke, which prevents me from seeing where I'm going.

What bugs me are the birds. I usually wait until I have a bunch and then go to the apothecary because the English don't like me and I have to sneak in.

Really? And there was me thinking the birds were less of a challenge. :facepalm

Do you usually have your camera on your ship's deck or do you use 3D person mode at sea?
There is some code in place to reduce the fog density as soon as you go onto your ship's deck to prevent it from being too bad.
I could easily adapt that piece of code to make it even less.

Both. Can't see a thing when sailing around the island in the storm and use the radar to navigate.

The challenge with the coin is to not get caught out doors after dark.

PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIShip.c find:
Code:
  if(HasCharacterShipAttribute(rCharacter, "fog_trail") || IsCursed)
   {
     int puffs_per_second = 10;
     if(SeaCameras.Camera == "SeaDeckCamera")   puffs_per_second = 1;
     for (i=0; i < puffs_per_second; i++)
     {
       PostEvent("CreateCursedPearlFog", delay, "i", rCharacter);
       delay = delay + 1000/puffs_per_second;
     }
   }
Change int puffs_per_second = 10; to something less.
You can even try changing puffs_per_second = 1; to a number smaller than 1 for the on-deck camera, though I'm not sure that'll work right.

LOL! :rofl

Indeed those "5 minutes" were a random number, based mainly on Arcade Game Mode with PLENTY of time compression applied.
I'm glad you managed to figure it out though. Do you still think that curse is overly evil now? :oops:
Yes. It's not quite the ultimate evil, i.e. there are now some circumstances in which I'll accept it and go to Isla de Muerte rather than reload the last saved game - see above! But when I've finished this campaign, I'm will install Beta 3.1 (or whatever version is current by then ;)) and also edit the Storyline files to prevent coins from jumping into my pocket.

The coins aren't too bad except for the smoke, which prevents me from seeing where I'm going.

What bugs me are the birds. I usually wait until I have a bunch and then go to the apothecary because the English don't like me and I have to sneak in.
The birds are more common but all they cause is a luck penalty; they don't force new appearance on you or your ship, block your view at sea, or make all uniformed guards attack you on sight. They're not evil, they're merely slightly bad. So I also occasionally show up at the apothecary's store with a bunch of them because I happen to be in the vicinity of Barbados on other business anyway. He must own a significant part of the archipelago's albatross population by now!

Do you know that after the first coin goes back into the chest, any coins you get after that can be sold? So after the first one they are not a problem while the albatross requires regular trips to Barbados, and I think luck is a big deal.

Back