• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved New to Build 14

Odd. They both have the same rarity value. The only difference is the minlevel (1 for Albatross, 5 for Cursed Coin).

Meh, for me the cursed coin is a real killjoy. I prefer playing a "realistic" not "fantasy" pirate game and don't follow the main storylines, just so I can do the open world privateering and since I found that coin the gam's just gone downhill for me.
No tips on how to lose the curse apart from" talk to adrunken sailor", well I stopped at every tavern on the way, talked to anyone there, even drank a ton of rum with sailors myselof, and no tips or quest continuation comes up. Now even the ship is smoking, so it's impossible to sail normally... Overall meh, and a nicely going game wasted so I'll have to restart and add that disable line into the code.

Really, do you have to put stuff in game if it's not intuitive to solve? Not happy. :nogood

Execute this line through PROGRAM\console.c:
Code:
TakeItemFromCharacter(PChar, "cursedcoin");
Then use F12 to instantly get rid of it.

As Pieter Boelen wrote above, this is the fastest way to get rid of the cursed coins ... After that, the curse should be gone.

(Pieter Boelen, please correct me if thats wrong...)

I suppose that console command works, but I never use it.

In fact I just got rid of that cursed coin meself. Triglav, have you never watched the movie this game is named after? The drunken boatswain is introduced right at the start and later he is found in a certain port where pirates like to go. Funny thing, the women there don't punch me out like they used to.

I just noticed this thread and have been reading through it. I have not played the latest build and wasn't aware of the addition of a cursed coin. What storyline is this associated with?

As Pieter Boelen wrote above, this is the fastest way to get rid of the cursed coins ... After that, the curse should be gone.
(Pieter Boelen, please correct me if thats wrong...)

I'll try this then. Thank you.

Triglav, have you never watched the movie this game is named after? The drunken boatswain is introduced right at the start and later he is found in a certain port where pirates like to go. Funny thing, the women there don't punch me out like they used to.

Not really, no. I've watched it with one eye, since it's hard to avoid, but overall, I like the option in New Horizons to completely bypass all official stories and just play my own game in the Caribbean. It is very nice to have these movie things for those who like them, but they should be avoidable for those that don't. Could be a simple quest thing, which, if you don't do, should allow you to bypass it.

I did eventually remember to sail to that pirate port and talk to that guy, but since I was playing an entirely different storyline and my own roleplaying thing, this really was a massive moodbreaker...

The cursed coins were meant as an Easter Egg. The curse itself started out as a joke, but ended up a fully-fledged feature in the end.
Lifting the curse doesn't take very long if you know how to do it. So it isn't all that evil.
We considered having it "off" by default, but since that sort-of defeats the purpose of the joke, we enabled it in most storylines.
I think @Levis wanted to do some further improvements on it anyway to make it more fun.

You can add this line to the PROGRAM\Storylines\[Storyline].c file:
Code:
  AddStorylineVar(n, "ISLA_DE_MUERTE", "0");     // PB: Curse not in effect, but can visit Isla de Muerte
That will disable the curse from random coins throughout the entire storyline.

Funny thing, the women there don't punch me out like they used to.
When you reported that before, I made some code adjustments to prevent you from dying there.

I have not played the latest build and wasn't aware of the addition of a cursed coin. What storyline is this associated with?
The curse is enabled from random coins in nearly all storylines, except Woodes Rogers, Hornblower, Bartolomeu and (intentionally, but funnily enough) Jack Sparrow.

The cursed coins were meant as an Easter Egg. The curse itself started out as a joke, but ended up a fully-fledged feature in the end.
Lifting the curse doesn't take very long if you know how to do it. So it isn't all that evil.
We considered having it "off" by default, but since that sort-of defeats the purpose of the joke, we enabled it in most storylines.
I think @Levis wanted to do some further improvements on it anyway to make it more fun.

You can add this line to the PROGRAM\Storylines\[Storyline].c file:
Code:
  AddStorylineVar(n, "ISLA_DE_MUERTE", "0");     // PB: Curse not in effect, but can visit Isla de Muerte
That will disable the curse from random coins throughout the entire storyline.

When you reported that before, I made some code adjustments to prevent you from dying there.

The curse is enabled from random coins in nearly all storylines, except Woodes Rogers, Hornblower, Bartolomeu and (intentionally, but funnily enough) Jack Sparrow.

That doesn't sound like much of an Easter Egg to me. It sounds more like an annoying waste of time and resources, especially for players who do not like all the "magic" that is already in the game. Interesting that the only story line where I would consider this even mildly appropriate is one of the ones that it is not included in.

We already have people that can't even install the mod properly asking for help, having them actually have to edit files too is not exactly the best solution in my opinion.

Hello everybody!

Great mod! Thanks for all the effort to maintain and expand the stock game that much. It's amazing how much the original PotC game got improved!

I'm not entirely new to the build mod, I played already around two years ago. Since then the mod was greatly finetuned, especially balancing is now way better than it used to be (even if there are still some issues).

Regarding the cursed coins I think it is a great addition to the game, especially because the game is called Pirates of the Carribean after all. But I can see that it can annoy some people who want a more "realistic" gameplay without the fantasy or movie stuff in it.

Would it be possible to have a switch in the game options menu to activate/deactivate it in the next release? Or maybe an option to choose when picking a storyline at the gamestart?

Why is the curse intentionally left out of "Hoist The Colours"? That's the only storyline where it makes sense. If you're playing that storyline then you should expect movie-related fantasy; conversely, if you don't like such fantasy, that's the one storyline you want to avoid. :)

Lifting the curse does take a long time, even if you know exactly what you have to do. You have to detour to one place to find the object, then you have to detour to the other side of the Caribbean from almost all other action to get to the island, then you have to hunt round the island to find the landing spot because you can't "Sail To" it unless you've already been there. And that's assuming the wind co-operates when you get to the island.

Does the cursed coin still make its way into your inventory whether you put it there or not, or do you have to deliberately pick it up? Obviously, it should be the latter.

Perhaps you should just be able to put the coin in any chest to lift the curse. If you think about it, requiring you to place it in the chest on Isla de Muerte when you didn't even take it from there in the first place seems a bit odd, doesn't it? :wp

Alternatively, maybe the coin(s) should only be available from Isla de Muerte, meaning the player already has to know how to get there and is more likely to know exactly what they're getting into by taking a coin. It also means it's much easier to avoid completely.

Either of those ideas would be an improvement, in my opinion.

It's great fun for those who fly around the Caribbean in the Black Pearl or the Flying Dutchman to get cursed.

For me it is a break from the game to go get rid of it. The upside is that after that the coin can be sold anywhere and Mr. Gibbs becomes a decent officer after a while.

Dunno if it's a bug or a feature, but didn't seem quite right anyway.

In French Tortuga tavern (Assassin storyline) I chatted up the hot chick in red and she was apparently PMSing as she did some bitching about how I ain't even a pirate and wanted to stab me in the heart, but my buddies and I cut her up real bad, though she had something like 2000 health so it took a while (good thing I give all my buddies tons of bandages and stuff), but while stabbing her I saw the XP meter on the left go crazy with 5000 and such XP with each stab, so by the time she was dead me and my buddies were all boosted from level 7 or 8 to level 22 with a shit ton of points to distribute. Then instantly also a bunch of French soldiers joined the fight and we done away with them too, while some of their buddies kept sitting and drinking, and then somehow, it also seems some trader was in the tavern and also lost his life as when looted a civvy corpse I got 4,000,000 moneys, somehting like 10-20 swords of each variety, all the maps, books, compasses, etc. So, summed up, for a scrap with one pissy dame I ended up with some very royal plunder and XPs. Why I think is prolly bugged...?

Wow! :8q

Not long ago I accidentally talked to her and she almost killed all of us before we got her, and all I got out of it was a used sabre.

That doesn't sound like much of an Easter Egg to me. It sounds more like an annoying waste of time and resources, especially for players who do not like all the "magic" that is already in the game.
That's why Levis wanted to change it anyway. We could easily set the "curse from random coins" off by default.

Interesting that the only story line where I would consider this even mildly appropriate is one of the ones that it is not included in.
The reason is that the story of the Isla de Muerta curse is included in the actual story and therefore having the Easter Egg would double this up.

Does the cursed coin still make its way into your inventory whether you put it there or not, or do you have to deliberately pick it up? Obviously, it should be the latter.

Perhaps you should just be able to put the coin in any chest to lift the curse. If you think about it, requiring you to place it in the chest on Isla de Muerte when you didn't even take it from there in the first place seems a bit odd, doesn't it? :wp

Alternatively, maybe the coin(s) should only be available from Isla de Muerte, meaning the player already has to know how to get there and is more likely to know exactly what they're getting into by taking a coin. It also means it's much easier to avoid completely.

Either of those ideas would be an improvement, in my opinion.
We haven't changed that code since I added the feature last year.
For it to make proper sense, indeed random coins should not trigger the curse.
Instead, you should have skeletons chase you while you carry one of them, for example. That was suggested before as well, I think by yourself.
I would have wanted to do that as well, but didn't know an easy way of accomplishing that.

Originally the Cursed Coins just gave a -1 to Luck, which seemed a bit boring to me. Same as with the albatross.

Lifting the curse does take a long time, even if you know exactly what you have to do. You have to detour to one place to find the object, then you have to detour to the other side of the Caribbean from almost all other action to get to the island, then you have to hunt round the island to find the landing spot because you can't "Sail To" it unless you've already been there. And that's assuming the wind co-operates when you get to the island.
Good point. When I added the feature, we had a different worldmap with Isla de Muerta much closer to the regular islands.
And I always use Arcade Game Mode for quick testing purposes. Realistic would indeed slow it down quite a bit..
We could have all shores on Isla de Muerta always have Sail To enabled. After all, you can't even buy a map for that.

Perhaps the cursed coin could be tied to the difficulty level as it seems the arcade players want it the most.

Perhaps, but I still feel it would be better to keep it in every difficulty, and just require the player to steal a coin from Isla de Muerte deliberately.

We could make assumptions about who's playing in what difficulty and what they do and don't want, but at the end of the day, I don't think any difficulties should separate content at all.
They're just meant to offer varying levels of challenging gameplay. We have Arcade, Realistic and Iron Man modes for content separation.

Very true. Linking it with Arcade mode isn't such a bad idea though.
Otherwise, just add that line to the storyline .c file as I said before and that will make it work like most "realistically inclined" people would prefer. :yes

Back