• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Open Sea Mod and Realism Settings

I am interested in reading your full report Skyworm. Have you read the entire thread? The issues are pretty well known. For me the worst part is surviving storms. They just keep coming. :pirateraft

No toggle? There are a lot of changes made. You are going to put it on MODDB? :monkeydance

Well, it's done.

After two nights and a days voyage through rough sea, me and me crew are rewarded by the sight of the sun rising over the rocky silouette of Barbados on 2nd days morning. It was it worth.

Aye, I overread the whole thread, but I did so with many other threads lately and I admit I may have missed some issues here and there. In fact, I wasn't really able to say if I'd like or like not this mod, and what exactly it does. That was the reason for my test voyage.

Ok, technical specialties I encountered were these:
1) sort of a graphic bug?
After installing the open seas mod, I had a 3rd perspective when pressing TAB. Additional to the usual "on deck" and "out of ship" view, I got sort of a "under the waterline camera". It didn't hurt though, it's just a bit strange to look at.

2) I missed my clockline in the upper part of the screen
That one with date and time. Also, I missed almost every messages. Perhaps, this I admit, because there simply was nothing to report over long times. The messages reappeared when I approached Barbados.

3) I had some crashes, both of game and of computer. They happened when ...
- saving the game (with a bad savegame after)
- watching a floating barrel (I was thinking about making a screenshot when it happened)
- short after the "land ho" meassage when I approached Barbados
Most of it seems to be in range of events like "see something" or "get to new region" perhaps it has to do with it.
Fortunately I did save often ;-)

4) Innacurracy of the island maps.
While the world map seems to work very accurate with this mod, the island maps don't. It seems, my ship has a fixed position in each map, which doesn't alter. I cannot say if this is a mod problem or a general build problem, because I got my chronometer right before starting this experiment. I'll look into it later.

In game aspects:
I had the advantage of good wind and of a fast ship. I sailed the ship Jack goit from vovernor Brin during that storyline, with modifications in both sails and hull. Plus, I had a steady brize from mostly western, sometimes southern and northern directions, but never had to sail against the wind in any way. That made me a considerably fast voyage.
And a boring one.
This is because exceot a "sail ho" which I never actually saw, and a floating barrel that crashed my computer, I did encounter absolutely nothing. I think this is realistic, of course. But, not exciting.
I had very small weather changes. I startet in a rainy night with rough sea and good wind, and had this over say 90% of my voyage. Wind direction altered a bit, but not too much. Clear sight I got in the morning I hit Barbados.

Timescale:
The voyage took some time:
In game in was:
26-07-1741 2:30 when setting sail at Sunny haven, La Grenade
to
27-07-1741 6:14 when Barbados appeared with the sunrise in the east
(it willa ctually take some time to hit a port there, though)

In real time it was roghly 4 hours 15 minutes, minus some time those crashes cost me ... which was around half an hour I think. I did not use any time compression, because I wanted to see how long it really takes.

So far about the facts.

Now for the subjective opinion.
It was my first direct sail ever. It was a very interesting experience, and, so far I can tell (I'm a complete land lubber in real life), it felt realistic. But I don't think it will be a feature that I use often. It is just too time consuming, and it seems a bit boring, since nothing happened. Perhaps that was luck, because you talk about surviving storms. But even with more action ... I don't think that makes it better. Had I met some groups of ships, some possibly hostile, or hit some storms, I'd never made it alive.

Thus, I think I'd not be much of a direct sailor, exciting as the idea itself may be.

Nonetheless, I like that mod. Not because I like direct sailing, but because I appreciate the other time scale. That "one hour plus one day" was really disturbing. Actually, I had meetings with smugglers missed because of that. Sil around half an island with unfortunate winds, you'll need days and weeks, and find no one waiting at [place any secret hidden smuggling place here] ;-)

This is what I'd like this mod for:
A better direct sailing experience while shipping aroud islands, searching hidden bays, or hunting pirate or nasty french privateers.
But the overall travel from island to island ist not my favorite.
Perhaps I'd use it to sail close to an island with the world map, and get a better "approaching the island" experience via direct sail with this mod.

Ok, that was a lot. I think I missed somthing. Ah yes ...

How to include it?
I'd prefer it included as configurabvle as possible. It may just be a personal preference, but I don't like few switches that toggle a lot of things at once. I'd prefer it one by one. For example, I like realism and direct sail (at least near some action), but I don't like to be forced to it, and somtimes even use the fast travels if I'm not in the mod to sail there manually.

Ok, that's it I think.

Ah yes, I aplogize for my bad english, I'm not a native speaker. I hope it's not too worse. ;-)

1. That is Free Camera mode that is apparently enabled by accident in those files. You'll notice you can move the camera with the mouse buttons wherever you want.

Hi again,

I must correct myself, or just be more precise. I wrote:
4) Innacurracy of the island maps.
While the world map seems to work very accurate with this mod, the island maps don't. It seems, my ship has a fixed position in each map, which doesn't alter. I cannot say if this is a mod problem or a general build problem, because I got my chronometer right before starting this experiment. I'll look into it later.

Better:
I started my voyage at Sunny haven. The ingame grafik showed this. I traveled east, with La Grenade being on my south.
On island map, my ships position was shown near Eden Rock, wich is on the opposite side of the island.
But, and that I just found out:
When I hit world map travel just after setting sail at sunny haven, my "new" position is near Eden Rock.

Thus, I think the positioning near islands is completey wired once you hit world map.

Just wanted to add this.

1) That free camera happens because this mod is based on Build 14 beta2. It was accidentally left toggled on. If you go to your POTC--->program--->internalsettings.h and scroll down to the very bottom you will find the "testing toggles". Adjust those to suit your preference. I have them all set to "0".

2) No clock? That is set in advanced options. Save before going there.

3) Those are unfortunate and not normal.

4) The island maps are an issue. The problem is that the islands are not the correct size for the mod anymore. Experience will show that they are much smaller than shown on the map, which causes the ship to be placed as close to it as possible, but not very accurately. The large islands like Hispaniola and Cuba are the worst. Barbados is not bad. Get as close to the island's name as you can.

Yes, this mod can be boring. But it is realistic. Use time compression to hurry things up and also feel free to go to the world map. One thing to note is that when you meet other ships they spawn far enough away so that sometimes they can not be seen, but never so close that you can not turn away if you choose not to fight. This is a really good feature.

The "one hour equals one hour" feature is a really good thing.

When testing we were direct sailing between Grenada and Havana. That is a really good way to blow off a day.

Heya!

1) That free camera happens because this mod is based on Build 14 beta2. It was accidentally left toggled on. If you go to your POTC--->program--->internalsettings.h and scroll down to the very bottom you will find the "testing toggles". Adjust those to suit your preference. I have them all set to "0".

Thanks, I'll try that.

2) No clock? That is set in advanced options. Save before going there.

Ah, again, I seem to have not been sufficiantly precise.
I do have a clock and date when I start. But it vanishes from time to time, and during more testing, it happens when I paused the game. It is fixed when I go "to ships deck" and back "to sea" again.

Yes, this mod can be boring. But it is realistic. Use time compression to hurry things up and also feel free to go to the world map. One thing to note is that when you meet other ships they spawn far enough away so that sometimes they can not be seen, but never so close that you can not turn away if you choose not to fight. This is a really good feature.

I just did my 2nd travel this time with time compression to speed things up. From Barbados to Martinique, intention was to do some smuggling at Octopus Bay. I never made it to there, because I ran into 2 Schooners and one Light Frigate, and we got quite a battle until they shot down my main mast. Short after, my computer again crashed.

I agree, it's great to see them coming, from sail at horizon to actual battle. I always hated that jumping right between them wen coming from world map travel. It's much better this way. I see what comes to me, and can make decisions in time. It feels completely different. And much better.
I just don't like the sight of time compression ... my ship is hobbeling over the waves like mad, doesn't look nice and kills immersion. I just need to figure what kills immersion more, tiny toy ships on world map travel, or this ;-)

I think I'll play with mod a bit more. Should I end up not using it, it's for the crashes. Before installing it, I didn't had them at all, well, perhaps once a day (real life). Now it's about 1-2 times per hour.

Does the rest of your Battle Interface disappear together with the Date and Time? If so, try pressing F9 once or twice and see if it returns.

As for the crashes, hopefully that should be better with the next modpack update due in two weeks or so.

Heya!

Does the rest of your Battle Interface disappear together with the Date and Time? If so, try pressing F9 once or twice and see if it returns.

No, the rest of the battle interface was still there. Just the line with date and time missing. And this is not a really big problem, because I can always get those from presssing M for the map. That contains both data, too.

As for the crashes, hopefully that should be better with the next modpack update due in two weeks or so.

Hopefully. I just had another one. Also, I have a much increased rate of grafik errors when turning and zooming around my ship. Don't know if it has to do with open seas mod, but I did nopt have it before, not yet at this rate.

I think, I'll restore my backup data to undo the mod, and try again with the next mod pack.

But all in all, it adds some fascinating aspects, and I'm looking forward to it.

Addition:
Just re-installed the backup files.

The ships position is not shown correctly in the buyable maps of individual islands.
I thought it beeing a problem with open seas, but it seems to be not.

And one more:
The disappearing time data line is also not tied to the open seas mod. It`s still the case ;-)
But, Pieters clue worked well, pressing F9 twice solves that problem.
Great thanks.

Just wanted to add this.

I'm curious. How much time compression do you use? 10X is what I use because 30X is not accurate and might be slower.

I used them all, but for the long distance now the big 30X. With open seas that worked well, but without it is more tricky, and much too fast. Just found that out the hard way.
With 30X directly sailing, I ran smack into a french warfleet and was sunk before that "sail ho" was spoken out ... it was only after reloading and travelling slower that I found out what killed me before. Man, that was fast ^^

My general problem with time compression is, I don't like it because it kills my immersion. Without time compression, it looks best to me. ;-)

But how can you possibly simulate a long voyage passing quickly without using time compression?

Ayup. There is time to get up and do other things and only monitor the game because mostly what happens is the wind changes, and it sucks to come back and find you have been sailing backwards for a while.

Heya Pieter!

But how can you possibly simulate a long voyage passing quickly without using time compression?

Well, the first long voyage I simply did in real time without any time compression. And yes, Hylie Pistof is right, the game hours are much shorter than real hours. So there is always a time compression.

Hylie is also right that sailing without time compression is a fine way to do lots of other things. In fact, I created my evening meal during that last half of my travel ;-)
Reading books or stuff like that would also work well.

The next voyage I did with time compression, between 3X and 10X,m sometimes 30X.

Well, and then, all and everything crashed and kept crashing, even without open seas. I had to delete the whole game and install new. Fortunately, now it runs. But unfortunately, without open seas.

I'm looking forward to see it in one of the next build, hopefully more stable ;-)

You are having more trouble than I did before, but the new version has been more stable for me for some time now.

Hmm. The last time I was having lots of random crashes it turned out my power supply was not delivering quite as much power as my computer needed. Have you upgraded lately?

Thanks, but I don't think that is the problem. PotC is the only game I face these crashes in. Anything else runs very stable. I recently upgraded from Windows XP to 7, which did a great jump in overall stability.

Heya again,

I just stared a new carreer in the 1550s, and this time, I did all the hard way. I switched on iron man mode, and installed open seas. And now I can say something more about direct sailing with it.

Until now, I always traveled from one island to the next one. I did not try out longer direct sails. But for these short travels, it seems to work all very well.
Traveltimes were between less than 2 days and nearly a weak in game time. The fastest voyage was with a spanish fast galleon and good wind from behind, so I could sail downwind all the distance with about 10 knots or more.
Slowest travel was crusing against the wind, which almost everytime seemd to blow from precisely where I just set course to. That was murphys law I guess. ;-)
In real time, the travels took me between 1 and 2 hours, and I used 10* time compression most.

I did not encounter any crashes, not even close to transits from one island to another, everything was very stable now.

One strange thing is, I lost some enemy ships. They were two dutch warships, chasing me half a night, and closing up, and then the "land ho" message came, and they were gone.

But now, after more testing, I like this mod much more, and the iron man mode, too. It's really great to have thing slowly coming, puzzeling what sail this may be, deciding if to go for it or better run away ... it's a lot more fun than the toy ships on the worlds map.

Great work!

Back