• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Open Sea Mod and Realism Settings

Looking forward to including this in the next update. Please point me to the latest version. :)

As for the moon texture: I suppose we should make an option in the installer file for "widescreen textures"?

Hello Pieter! Hope things are well....the latest version is still 0.2 and found as a link in my signature....it has been a while since I've worked with it...sounds like it might be time for me to get back to it! :)

Regards,

Jeff

Yes. The map needs more refinement. The storms are a bit of a problem also. The only escape is the World Map. Speaking of that the islands on the World Map no longer match up with the islands in Direct Sail. The current solution is to sail as close to the island's name on the World Map as possible. That should get one close enough to at least see the island. I know that is not in the spirit of this Open Sea mod, but I have too much to do to sit there staring at an empty sea for real time hours. :ship That is why I will not play the Iron Man mod.

Well, this install finally died. It was fun, but over time it seems to have gotten corrupted. I started getting random CTDs caused by npc character nodes not found. Methinks I finally did it in myself with the final blow being "Buildsettings:new settings applied" corrupting the saves and not allowing it to start. :facepalm

I added the updated files to my game and it runs fine. I hit F11 and saved and am now playing along to see if the odd items are still going to show up.

Well thanks for this one, really makes it much more immersive.

Had to turn off Iron Man mode though - after seven days on open sea I became afraid of getting lost and well, it is kinda long but it enhances the game a lot even when you're using map travel. Before I would often ran into a 'Sails Ho' while chasing a ship, making the one I was after just disappear. Or tacking the wind between two islands and you always kinda jumped in between them. This is much better!

I must say I have accomplished (so far anyways) what I set out to do...as mentioned earlier in this thread, I really enjoyed Silent Hunter III, being out all alone in the lonely sea, searching for prey...where I have this mod right now reminds me very much of that experience

That's one of my all time favourites, and now this is the second game were you can travel the seas realtime (except maybe cilvilian sims - don't know).

As for linking it to the ironman mode - only if all the features of it could be selected individually. As it plays for me now is perfect but later on, when I'm used to flags, colors and ship designs I would like beeing able to turn off the spyglass and such.

When I'm too far off the coast and don't know where to head to I usually just use the sail to mode and look which directions the pointers are. So that's actually not a problem.

The rate of the wind change is sometimes frustrating sometimes not, wich I like. And battles are really intense although they take a lot of time, sometimes when you are circling with your opponent, it feels as if every second counts. Other times, espiacially with more than two ships involved battles can be really rapid.

It is a lot like in SH3 and I really enjoy it!

Now I can't remember... This doesn't have a built-in toggle, does it? In that case, I imagine one needs adding. Can we work it into an existing toggle?

For example: Regular DirectSail in Arcade Mode and Open Sea DirectSail in Realistic Mode? Any thoughts?

Just noticed this in the ReadMe file:
Jan 21 2012 Changed MINES to 0 because although mines are really cool, we really did not see them until after 1777... :p
Does anyone think we should disable mines in all Periods except Revolutions and Colonial Powers? Could be easily done.

No it does not have a toggle. Lots of stuff gets changed when it is installed like the size of the islands to the time to spawning points. Could it be toggled on and off?

I did not know about mines for a loong time, and only found out when I accidentally sank one of my ships with one. :facepalm

Of course a toggle can be added. I'd just prefer not doing so and working it into an existing toggle. Would it be OK to have it included in Realistic Game Mode?

Still waiting on a comment on those mines...

Do you mean making the Open Sea mod the default realistic mode? That is fine for me but I can see a lot of people getting frustrated with it because it takes a long time to get anywhere and the world map is no longer accurate. It might be too realistic for many.

Yeah, make the mines later periods only.

Do you mean making the Open Sea mod the default realistic mode? That is fine for me but I can see a lot of people getting frustrated with it because it takes a long time to get anywhere and the world map is no longer accurate. It might be too realistic for many.
Would those be the same people who play Arcade Game Mode?

Maybe. If it doesn't work out that there is an "intermediate" realistic mode, I can live with that. :keith

Hello gentlemen,

Now I can't remember... This doesn't have a built-in toggle, does it? In that case, I imagine one needs adding. Can we work it into an existing toggle?

For example: Regular DirectSail in Arcade Mode and Open Sea DirectSail in Realistic Mode? Any thoughts?

I'm not sure if my opinion is asked, since I'm new to this forum, and I am absolutely not experienced in the ways of modding.
But, inspired by this thread, I just downloaded open seas, and I'm taking time to just try it out.

I'm doing a voyage from La Grenade to Barbados in the "hoist the colours" storyline.
At this time I can say, the mod seems to work, but there are several small disturbing things in it. Nothing too bad, though.
If you whish, I'll post a detailed report of this voyage here, I'm actually doing sort of a log of it, and also doing some screenshots to show what I mean.

Back to the carribean then ...

At the moment, it is looking like too much work to get the Open Sea Mod included in the modpack because so many #defines are being changed and a texture is being replaced.
So we'll release it as an additional download together with Build 14 Beta 2.3 later this month.

I did change things so that mines are now only there in Revolutions and The Corsican. This will be included in the main modpack update, of course.

Back