• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Perks Mod V2.6 Unlockable Perks! (READABLE BOOKS!)

Reuploaded the mod with a reinit so no new savegame required now. Just press F11. Perks wont get locked tough. For that you do need a new savegame.
Also a minor bugfix. Seems elseif is just interpeted as else { if so I had to include another }
I'm afraid this isn't working. The following error.log is generated upon starting a new game:
Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: interface\perks\perks.c; line: 12
Invalid function call
function 'InitPerks' stack error

Additionally, this is what I get to see when going through the menu straight away:
Perks.jpg

No reference to it being locked, not in the description either; just these tick marks.

I think you have winmerged it wrong then ....

I double-checked; the files are identical to your latest upload. Is there something I am missing here? Do you need me to upload my whole PROGRAM folder?

sorry, my fault. forgot to check something. this will work in a new game. in a other game pressing f11 will lock the perks if they weren't locked before. you can use the console command to unlock them if you want.

That seems to work much better.

What do those tick marks mean? Are those the perks I can choose from based on the number of free points?
Interesting idea. :onya

Still an error.log entry though:
Code:
Invalid function call
function 'InitPerks' stack error
I don't think the game likes reinitializing the perks.
Had the same problem when I tried to initialize them on each individual "new game" start as well.
That was back when I tried to prevent the GunFighter ability showing up in other storylines.

I remember I was able to fix that while trying it with characters. Will take a look at it later.
The checkmarsk say which ones you can pick yes. need to include a check for if the perk requires other perks also

This should fix the reinit errors
And I've included a Skillbook now.
The perk advance defence has to be unlocked by finding the right book.
Can people please see if they can find the book? It can be everywhere.

Does someone know how to add items to specific locations (I can find out myself but if someone knows please tell ;) ).

Please let me know how you like the skill books and if they are easy enough to find.

Does someone know how to add items to specific locations (I can find out myself but if someone knows please tell ;) ).
Here is an example of putting an item in a box:
Code:
locations[n].box1.items.cursedcoin = 881;   // PB: You can get yourself cursed, but need to find another to uncurse yourself
And here one that puts an item on a locator:
Code:
Locations[n].items.randitem1 = "blade12";
All goes into the location init files.

The books should be sold at random as well though, so you can also check the traders.

The book is also sold at random if I'm right so thats no problem.

Talking about books.... I wonder if we can make them readable like the Gentlemen of Fortune modpack for AoP 2 does.
I always liked that feature; in fact, I vaguely remember contributing to making it work many, many years ago.

Talking about books.... I wonder if we can make them readable like the Gentlemen of Fortune modpack for AoP 2 does.
I always liked that feature; in fact, I vaguely remember contributing to making it work many, many years ago.

We can yes.
If you find a skillbook you wont get the skill yet. You first have to "read" the book. As soon as you click examine the skill is added and the book is destroyed for now. This could be changed.
There are notes which can be read so this should be possible with books to. I just have to find out where the texts for the notes are stored (haven't looked for that yet).

Do you know if there is a "bookstore" already somewhere in the game?
I think that would be a nice addition to a town. This should be added to a larger town tough.

In GoF, the books are set up as "maps" and are therefore textures. Since we do have a "map reading interface", we could adjust that. Right?

In GoF, the books are set up as "maps" and are therefore textures. Since we do have a "map reading interface", we could adjust that. Right?

Nevermind I was reading it wrong we dont have a note reading interface.
We could do it with maps yes altough I recon I should be able to make a real book interace.

The "Map Viewing Interface" doesn't make reference to it being a map viewing interface.
So swapping out the map texture with a book texture and changing the title to the name of the book, that should be it.
I didn't think we could do it before, but I think Jack Rackham already used it for that in one of his storylines.

We could indeed but for now I first wanna get these perk books working right so I would like feedback on those. Maybe later I include the books altough if you want to go ahead :) it shouldn't be that hard. I will probally make it else cause when I wanna make my epic quest I need readable books too ;).

Just so you know, I did a quick test and everything works as advertised so far.
Didn't randomly find the new book yet, but then I only checked three traders as it is late by now.

Tomorrow, I'll see if I can look up those GoF book textures with who did them.
I'd definitely like seeing those again! :cheers

BTW: If the book can now be used to unlock abilities, should we still have books also that permanently increase skills?
That is technically not very realistic, is it? Also, less skill-enhancing items = slower character progression = bigger challenge.
Right?

For now I kept them in cause I think they could add something to the game, altough they have a pretty large effect now.
I think for now we should let them in cause I do like the idea of more books in the game. If we have some readable books we could maybe make a few of them readable and also the ones who increase your skill rarer.
Also we could see if there is a max. For example if you are lvl 8 the book won't boost your skill anymore. But that's for later unless someone else wants to program it :).

btw the site still says noone downloaded the file so either you downloaded it invisible or you got the wrong one :p.

btw the site still says noone downloaded the file so either you downloaded it invisible or you got the wrong one :p.
Downloaded twice according to what the site tells me. o_O

Also we could see if there is a max. For example if you are lvl 8 the book won't boost your skill anymore. But that's for later unless someone else wants to program it :).
We do have this in PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h:
Code:
// Item skill increases
#define MAX_SKILL_INCREASE       4       // INT - The maximum number of skill points you can gain from items
Not exactly the same, but a vaguely similar idea and does work.

how about using the questbook interface? If we change that a little bit I think it would look perfect for reading books :).
I think i can make that work very quickly.

Back