• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirates 2004 - The Graphics.

DJ1

Master Mariner
I was really looking forward for this game but it is sad to notice that the graphics aint as good as in POTC.

It looks like something that was realeased a few years ago......

I hope the gameplay will be great but why couldnt they do a decent 3D engine as well?

Dont they have enough of money?
Didnt they wanna spend much money on a remake before they know it will be a hit?

As far as I'm concerned, the content and gameplay are way more important than the graphics, but they do look rather dated. It might be good to see some of it in motion (and not just a few screenshots) before making any judgements though.

Hmm, they look like rendered cut scenes to me, rather than the actual game when you're in controll...

hope the gameplay will be great but why copuldnt they do a decent 3D engine as well?  

Well they bought the engine that morrowind uses, so it was a pretty big shock to see how its panning out.

Ahh k sampow, to be honest i havnt seen them yet :(:

Guys, the graphics are rough drafts, this isn't the finished product yet. They are used primarily for testing gameplay and functionality ... I doubt Sid would put in graphics so rough around the edges for a gold release.

Im wondering what sid has to do with it to b honest, i know it sounds like a silly statement but i wouldnt be surprised if he's only lending his name to it, i mean in the creadits of Pirates! gold, it only mentions a "special thanks" to sid and nothing else......

That's probably true, but let's look at it this way:

We know he was rather `hands-on` with the first one when it came out for the Commodore. All of the other releases were just "`re-releases`", or porting for platforms. I doubt their is much they'd have him involved in if they weren't really changing anything. Besides, Microprose was probably pulling their own chords and didn't want ol' Sid involved.

In the sense of this one, in every article they talk about how Sid and his team are doing this or that, so for now I believe he has a lot of decision making. This is a NEW version of the old game, and one that I would believe would require a lot of hands on from Sid Meier.

Either way, I don't think you've seen the last of any graphics in this game. I do think they will polish them off quite a bit before it goes Beta.

Either way, I don't think you've seen the last of any graphics in this game. I do think they will polish them off quite a bit before it goes Beta.

or they'll do like the Resident Evil game and release it with horribl graphics.... eh that game sucked anyways...

<!--`QuoteBegin-Keith`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keith)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Im wondering what sid has to do with it to b honest, i know it sounds like a silly statement but i wouldnt be surprised if he's only lending his name to it, i mean in the creadits of Pirates! gold, it only mentions a "special thanks" to sid and nothing else......[/quote]

Just thought I'd chime in here to assure you that Sid Meier is very much front and center in the development of this release. In fact, it's frustrating from a marketing standpoint (I know, I know, get out your fiddles, and pity us poor, evil marketing people :cheers ) because I'd love to have Sid accompany us on our press tours and public appearances with the game... and that's simply not possible because he's the lead programmer!

Interest in Pirates continues to grow... we hit #1 on the overall top 10 games on GameSpot.com (determined by what games visitors are visiting to grab info). We'll be showing more of it at E3 as well. I'll keep checking in with more information as we have it ready to release. Thanks...!

Best,
Jeff Foley
Sr. Brand Manager
Atari

I read somewhere on the net it's a modified morrowind engine.
Hmm, I never liked the morrowind engine. You need too much power for (in my eyes) not so good graphics.

Hmm, after looking at all the Screenshots on the web I found from "Pirates!" I really don't see any resemblence to the Morrowind Engine. It reminds me more of the Freedom Force engine (don't know the real name).
But it all could be just a diffrent skinning.
Besides I don't find the Graphics so bad. For me they aren't important that much anyway. Graphics alone don't meke Games great, just let them look nicer.

I still play Monkey Island fron time to time and still enjoy it. :gday

The engine is gamebryo.

Thanks Jeff! I'll be the official PA! Liason at E3 ... Speakin of which ...
Can't you guys get me a press pass or somethin'? I don't wanna have to swap tickets second day, ya know? 8)

yeah DP, it is still the morrowind engine ( gamebryo ) if i ever get the chance 8) to have a Q&A ill ask them if they were planning a imersive 3d world or always going to go with the iso look

I don't know..I was always quite impressed by Morrowind's graphics. Hell, you NEVER saw water look so realistic before Morrowind. My girlfriend was even amazed when I first bought it upon realized and she could care less about stuff like video game graphics.

Jeff Foley doesnt say anything about that those aint the final graphics so I suppose it is...

Well.. will download the demo first and see if the game is worth buying....

although I find the cartoon style graphics which Pirates 2004 has are rather bad.......

Looking at the screenshots, I actually like these graphics. It's hard to judge not seeing stuff in motion, but this appears to be a game that has a bit of art design and character behind it. Until PC games can actually be `photo-realistic`, there is something to be a said for a game that has a bit of style.

I'm not as keen on the overhead ship grapihcs, but we'll see.

Bottom line with this game, however, is that gameplay is the thing.

Back