• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Programmer

Hazardooster

Sailor Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I'm a professional C# developer looking to get involved in UDK - I've experimented with it quite a bit in the past, but it wasn't suitable for any of the projects I wanted to do for technical reasons. I really like the engine and UnrealScript though so I've been on the hunt for a project to volunteer with, and this looks great! I'd love to help out with the programming.

Hazardooster

Thought I might add a bit more info in, just because this is volunteer work doesn't mean I shouldn't try hard :)

- I've been modding computer games since the original Half-Life nearly 15 years ago
- I have a degree in Computing from Imperial College London
- I've previously worked with Half-Life SDK, Source SDK (Half-Life 2), Unreal Engine since the original Unreal Tournament, XNA and Irrlicht
- I used to run the team for a Half-Life 2 mod called SourceForts
- I have next to no idea about the age of sail, aside from Master and Commander and Assassin's Creed 3's naval battles
- Working on things I have no idea about makes me extremely good at implementing designs without prejudice :)
- This game sounds like great fun - and that's why I want to be involved
- I can probably commit 8-10 hours a week at the moment
- I can help out with various technical project management things if you need me to - source control, build management etc.

Um, I'll be a programmer :)

I have the technical knowledge to do the interface role as well - and the user interface design know-how (that's part of my day job), but none of the artistic talent. If there's a 2D artist I can work closely with then that'll do fine - if they can use Flash, that's doubly fine!

Ahoy!

I'll make a big to-do list of everything programming related so you can choose a specific part you want to focus on. Just a small selection of things you could do:
  • Interface
  • Player controller
  • Ship implementation (Combining different meshes, collisions, rigging, ....)
  • Combat system
  • Customization characters
  • AI
  • Multiplayer (nothing to test with though)
I'm currently working on physics but this is more C++ than Unrealscript.
I'm currently putting everything on github. I don't know if your familiar with it, but I find it very easy to use in teams.

Github sounds good - I had a poke around your code already :).

AI would be my prime pick, but it's secondary to ship/combat. I'll have a think.

I'm hazardouswaster on Skype - might be good to chat a bit :)

Just a note- Anyone who deals with rigging is going to have to work with e so that we can avoid all the errors Alkella made.

Would I be correct in saying that work on the AI cannot be started until there are ships or characters in the game environment?

Ahoy Hazardooster, welcome aboard mate!

Sounds like you are just the person we are looking for! When the time comes, we will need some good IA, and I have a feeling that it is going to be quite a challenge to get correct. Until then though, would you be interested in helping Hammie with the interface and GUI design? That really seems to be our area of need at the moment, but he knows far more about what he needs assistance with than I do.

Welcome Hazardooster, I've added you to the Programming team. Your help will be much appreciated. :cheers

Just a note- Anyone who deals with rigging is going to have to work with me so that we can avoid all the errors Akella made.
I think Hammie was on about the type of rigging used for animation (bones and stuff in Maya, for example), which you don't actually see in-game.
For most themes, this wouldn't cause confusion. The Age of Sail is an exception, of course. :rolleyes:

I took that to mean "rigging the rigging," so to speak. That stuff is going to have to move with the wind, break in the right places, etc. This is getting confusing, to say the least.

Programmers are like GOLD in this situation. Every one we have is extremely important. Thanks for putting this out here man. I'm very impressed with what i've seen so far. What industry do you work in out of curiosity?

Hammie - i've been meaning to get in contact with you the last few days as up until now it seems you've been the only coder we have. Now that we have more than one, source-control is going to become important. You're using Git eh? Got any links where I can take a look at what we've currently got?

Programmers are like GOLD in this situation. Every one we have is extremely important. Thanks for putting this out here man. I'm very impressed with what i've seen so far. What industry do you work in out of curiosity?

Hammie - i've been meaning to get in contact with you the last few days as up until now it seems you've been the only coder we have. Now that we have more than one, source-control is going to become important. You're using Git eh? Got any links where I can take a look at what we've currently got?

I've been very busy the past few days... but you can find my github here: https://github.com/Hammie/PA/tree/Development

I'll probably put that link in my signature soon.

Awesome to see we've got so many folks signing on that really want to help us make this game all it can be.

Welcome to the team Hazardooster!

Back