• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Question only game

Why do you think they would only be able to observe? Would it be like a film you were watching but couldn't change?

What if it has been changed already? What if the South really won the Civil War but time travelers went back and stole Robert E. Lee's special order's No. 191 and left them were Union troops would find it?

Actually, if Lee had listened to his general's and bypassed Gettyburg and headed straight to Washinton D.C., the South would have won the war, as D.C. was basically undefended. You agree?

No, D.C. was heavily fortified, that's why Lee didn't go there. Lee was a realist, he wasn't looking for a victory really (he knew the odds were long against the south) what he was looking for was to stir discontent among the north's population against the war and see if that would force Lincoln to finally sue for peace and agree to a split. He figured a major victory on Union soil would do that. Wouldn't it be wild though if the south actually won the war and time travelers changed it? But then what would keep time travelers from constantly changing history?

I watched a program on the History Channel about unknown facts about the Battle of Gettysburg. In the first day of the battle the Union troops were routed and had to retreat to the town. They lost approx 10,000 men where Confederate losses were few. Troops were sent from D.C. to replace those losses, and the Union was in a state if confusion. That move left D.C. ripe for the taking. That's when Lee's generals tried to convince Lee to change plans. I don't remember the program's name as it was several years ago and I may not be remembering it correctly. Basically, the South made a hugh mistake by not taking and maintaining the high ground in the early days of the battle. That is what really lost the South Gettysburg.

Salty, I am on my way to Chicago for the NASCAR race be back next week.

Hope you have a good time Meigger.

What if's. Counterfactual histories are fascinating. Did you know that in mid-December of 1931 Winston Churchill was hit by a taxi driver in NYC while crossing 5th Avenue? He was seriously injured but of course was not killed. But what if he had been? Would Britain had surrendered to Germany nine years later during the Battle of Britain? I love speculating about things like that. :)

BTW, Churchill accepted total responsibility for the accident as he said himself he forgot to look both ways while crossing as he was looking for an address. The taxi driver who hit Churchill was deeply distressed over the incident because he felt he was to blame and apologized repeatedly to Churchill at his hospital. Churchill was concerned that the man would be blamed for the accident so he took measures to make sure his name was cleared, he also invited the driver over to for tea and gave him an autographed copy of a book he wrote.

Back