• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Reduced Blade Break Chance

It made a difference in the previous mod pack version??? That is quite impossible since I hadn't written the code for it yet.

Nonono. I have 2 installs with this latest patch in them. I quit playing that one and switched to this one for some reason.

Hmm... i got that blade care kit, and from what i could see, it seems that it improved the durability of the blades. Not very sure, but it seems that works.

And i agree with the idea of having two types of blade care kits. The common blade care kit should increase the durability of the blade. And the second and better blade care kit, should even improve the blade to a higher stat, for example, from average to good. I'm not sure if it should remain on "fine"...

By the way, i got an idea with the blade care kit: Could we put also the blade care kit as an usable item, like bandage rolls? Because the blade care kit SHOULD NOT remain with you forever. If you use it like bandages, the effect will be that, for example, could improve the blade to a higher stat, for example, from worn to average. And then you can't use it more. That is with the normal blade care kit.

I think i'm saying something very improbable, but who knows, i just want to share my ideas guys.

Hmm. If a sword care kit is anything like a knife care kit it would basically be a big whetstone and a rag. The sharpness of the edge depends on the coarseness of the whetstone and the skill of the one using it.

I have two whetstones. One big "good enough to cut most anything" stone, and a smaller one that is a good one and a fine one bonded together. That one can get an axe sharp enough to shave with.

I dunno if they had whetstones then though.

Just mentioning that simple is better.
I am not going to spend much time and effort on this one as I cannot afford to do so.
You're welcome to try fancy stuff yourself though.

Based on your comments and looking at the code again, I do believe that this works.
So for the next update, I will keep this item and functionality intact.
If anyone wants to make things more fancy, be my guest. But I won't be doing it! :whipa

Has anyone seen a blade kit recently?
What if you massively increase its rarity value?

Still to do:
- Making sure the Blade Care Kit does actually show up in the game

If I remember, i saw the blade care kit once at the start of a TSH campaign. After that, i didn't see more of those again. So yes, it's a bit rare to find and not comon. I think it's impossible to buy on stores.

Also to be done: Blade Care Kit item description to be updated to clarify on its new purpose.
Would be especially cool if this item were exclusively available from blacksmiths.
They serve as item traders anyway. Might as well sell this one.

Also to be done: Blade Care Kit item description to be updated to clarify on its new purpose.
Would be especially cool if this item were exclusively available from blacksmiths.
There is nothing in place for this yet right?
When I start looking at the shops I will see if I can implement this cause I also want to have a (few) bookshop(s).

There are some trader types defined somewhere which should be useful.

Except that if I read "initItems.c" correctly, skipsell is set to 1 so the blade care kit won't be sold by traders.

What's the least durable blade available in the "Spanish Main" time period? I can try out the blade care kit if I set skipsell to 0, rarity to something stupidly high, and equip something which is likely to deteriorate after the first serious fight.

Except that if I read "initItems.c" correctly, skipsell is set to 1 so the blade care kit won't be sold by traders.
Right now, indeed not. We'll have to change that.

What's the least durable blade available in the "Spanish Main" time period? I can try out the blade care kit if I set skipsell to 0, rarity to something stupidly high, and equip something which is likely to deteriorate after the first serious fight.
There is no actual "durability" value; the minlevel is being used for that purpose.
Least durable would be an early-game blade with a low minlevel value.

Also, you'd be very welcome to experiment a bit with its rarity value and setting skipsell to 0 and see if you can convince it to show up in a reasonable way. :doff

Whats the status on this?

I've set skipsell to 0 and rarity to 0.2. Now I've seen one for sale, at a blacksmith. I haven't bought it yet, though. First I'm going to stop using the indestructible Hand of Poseidon and start using the Dragons's Head I took off Roche Brassiliano. (Any time I quick-equip using "C" or "1", that's what I get by default anyway.) I'll need to play a bit to get some sort of feel for how often it breaks. Then I'll get a bladekit and see if it makes any difference. What I really need to find is a blacksmith with a blade kit in stock and a fort which I can raid in the same town - going into a fort by the back door means lots of fights against multiple opponents, which is a good way to go through swords quickly. :D

keep us posted. I will see if I can find if there is code in place already to have a specific item(group) only be sold by specific merchants. according to @Pieter Boelen it should be there, we can then set the bladekit for blacksmiths only

There are trader types defined somewhere, but I'm not sure how items are linked to those types.
If you actually check the blacksmiths, you'll see that they generally sell only weapons. So they do have a special case somewhere.
This was a change made by The Incredible Hat many years back. It would be marked in the code with "TIH".

Back