• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Reduced Storm Chance

Will have a look tomorrow. We sorted it out by using my Photoshop in the meantime,
but of course that is a workaround and not an actual solution.

In the meantime, I wonder what people think of the above changes.
I think this is the first time I did some vaguely serious playing with the weather system.
The staggered updates are quite interesting to see.

The ability to call a weather update when you want to is always interesting as well.
If you could somehow provide input while in-game, then you could truly control the weather!
Though I doubt Hylie Pistof would find the a proper solution to the wind direction issue.... :wp

Anyway, we'll work it into Vanderdecken's dialog file tomorrow. See how funny we can get it...! :razz

That would probably be REALLY easy. Just the code for this feature in reverse. Use a SetNextWeather instead of SetNextWind .
Or use SetNextWind with a large number instead of a small one.

In fact, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to switch the effect of this item depending on whether a storm is active or not.
If a storm IS active, then stop it. But if there is NOT a storm, start one! Beats me why anyone would want to START a storm, though.
But perhaps if you are pursued by annoying small craft, you can summon a storm to sink them that you could probably survive yourself.

you could also summon a storm to actually get out of a fight I think.

A proper storm would have you locked in it. And if it didn't, the presence of an enemy would.
The only advantage of a storm that I can think of is that it deals damage to all ships at sea more-or-less equally.
So if you have more HP on your ship, you have the advantage. Provided you don't capsize.... :wp

Sounds good. Now I want to make a "Thor's Hammer" to summon a thunder storm :p.
That's Mjölnir! If your going to do it, do it right!
nainshache.gif

Mjölnir looks like the spelling I'm familiar with. :yes

Also, behold Johan Elting and his new favourite weapon:
upload_2015-1-2_23-12-38.png

Yes, the Trident is now a fully usable weapon in the game!
As an added bonus, its looks are absolutely amazingly convincing. Couldn't be better, really.
With massive thanks to @Bartolomeu o Portugues! :cheers

If anyone managed to notice from the above, my tone is obviously in jest.
Apart from the thanks to Bartolomeu, which are genuine, as usual.
This is the best we managed so far and... well.... draw your own conclusions! :rofl

Yes there are many ways to spell that. I have only heard Mjölner in swedish.

Some spellings also have two L's. The fact that the only real written language that most Viking cultures had at the time was similar to the runic Elder Futhark, makes a real proper spelling tough. Runes tended to have multiple meanings depending on what other runes they were written with. Icelandic is probably the closet to Old Norse, which is what most spoke.

Most of the Saga's were written in Icelandic towards the very end of what we consider the Viking era. Though both languages do have similar roots in Germanic origin. That's just based on what I have read over the years though, I am certainly no expert, and can barely read and write English. :wp

Very nice Trident! :onya

As far as I'm concerned, this feature works well now. It doesn't technically reduce the chance of storms at all.
But if you have the item, then you can end any storm whenever you want to.

Massive thanks go to @Bartolomeu o Portugues for finding an amazing new trident model that really sells its supernatural awesomeness:

TridentNeptune.jpg

And of course major thanks as well to @TechnicJelle for doing this in the first place! Cheers, matey. :type1

I do think the trident texture should be worked on a little bit to make it look "worn" a little bit more. I think its to bright now....

If anyone has any artistic skill to apply to it, feel free.
We did already make the different parts have different gold hues to make it less.... dull.

Are the textures used unique textures for this item (can I change them or should I make new ones and hex edit)?

They are already unique; you can edit them and don't need to rename. :onya

I was thinking something similar, but with weak enemy ships.
If you are more likely to survive a storm than they are, then you could trigger a storm and let Neptune sink your enemies for you! :ko

besides that from a gaming point of view, the player might not notice he got the ability if it only shows up during a storm. And admit it, if you find such an item for the first time wouldn't you want to summon a storm in a massive battle just to see what happens :p ?

True, that. I'll see what I can do. Should not be too difficult, I don't think. And it would be funny to have players cause the storm that sinks their ship! :rofl
Also fits with the item description, since it does specify that Neptune used the trident to start storms as well.

@TechnicJelle: How about it, matey?

I have now changed the Neptune's Trident code to this:
Code:
    bool StormCommandSuccess = false;
     if(Whr_IsStorm())
     {
       LogIt("By the power of Neptune, I command this storm to end!");
       SetNextWind(-1, 20);
       WeatherInit();
       CreateWeatherEnvironment();
       MoveWeatherToLayers(sNewExecuteLayer, sNewRealizeLayer);
       if(!Whr_IsStorm())
       {
         StormCommandSuccess = true;
         iStormLockSeconds = 0;
       }
     }
     else
     {
       LogIt("I call upon the sea godess Calypso to bring a storm onto my foes!");
       SetNextWeather("Heavy Storm");
       WeatherInit();
       CreateWeatherEnvironment();
       MoveWeatherToLayers(sNewExecuteLayer, sNewRealizeLayer);
       if(Whr_IsStorm())
       {
         StormCommandSuccess = true;
       }
     }

if(StormCommandSuccess)
     {
       x = stf(pchar.Ship.pos.x);
       y = stf(pchar.Ship.pos.y);
       z = stf(pchar.Ship.pos.z);

for(i = 0; i < 100; i++)
       {
         CreateParticleSystemX("cancloud_stock", x+rand(40)-20  , y+rand(15)+3, z+rand(40)-20  , x, y, z,20);
         CreateParticleSystemX("cancloud"  , x+rand(60)-30  , y+rand(20)+3, z+rand(60)-30  , x, y, z,20);
       }
       PlaySound("objects\DUEL\lightning.wav");
     }
This seems to be working. I got rid of the for loops, because I didn't like having them.
It now works instantly. But only sometimes. It works eventually if you use the Trident multiple times. Not sure why.

I'm just going to claim that it is a feature. The gods aren't always quite listening and you have to nag them! :rofl

Back