• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[REL] Real Time Battle Light

Class 3 is now updated, only class 1, 2 and quest ships remain. Its this next class, class 3 i'm dreading with so many ships will take me all day but it will be worth it when its done. Some ships like in class 3 might not even need fixing, we shall see.

Class 3
Pinnace
Before
Waterline = 0.8 (she looks good to me, no need to change anything)

Galeon LIGHT
Before
Waterline = 1.0 (can't see anything wrong with this ship)

Corvette
Before
Waterline = -0.4

After
Waterline = 0.4

Black Angel
Before
Waterline = 0.1 (i can't see anything wrong there)

Battle Corvette
Before
Waterline = 0.1

After
Waterline = 0.80

Again, really nice work Luke. Totally agree about the Arabella. She is very reminiscent of an English fourth or fifth rate circa 1680-1720. Beautiful ship that should be available for play. Someone on the board did a nice reskin (can't remember where). It'd be cool to have the two versions of Arabella available in your mod.

I'm still working through the porting tutorial. I'm trying to get the Batavias from POTC into COAS. I'm doing something wrong because its not working. I have no doubt I will figure it out soon. When I get them right maybe we could bundle them into this mod as well.

V/R AS

Thanks :onya, that sounds good, it would be nice to see more ships in COAS, i think we are missing out on alot of class 3 ships, and it would be nice to have Black Beards ship (not the Sloop) his 30 to 40 gunner ship, not sure what it was but it can't have been a Sloop. Funny enough i have seen The Queen Ann's Revenge in game once and she was a Sloop. A shame it wasn't Black Beard himself who was captain. Oh well maybe he'll be added in a future mod. :will

I will have a look at the new skin for the Arabella and add it when i get to the Arabella. Well work on the class 2 ships has started, but i won't post any more imagies because its slowing me down and i want to get this part of the mod out of the way so testing can restart on the other area's of the mod like cannons and if any of them do actually fall out both on the player's and AI ships.

Class 2
Coastal Frigate
Before
Waterline = 0.5 (she looks good to me, no need to change anything)

Jamaicaship
Before
Waterline = 2.2

After
Waterline 0.0

BlackPearl
Before
Waterline = 0.5 (no need to change anything)

Galeon HEAVY
Before
Waterline = -0.2 (Not sure about this one, which do you think lower or higher, see imagies)

After
Waterline = 0.2

Salamander
Before
Waterline = -0.8

After
Waterline = 0.1

Thats enough pictures i think, as you can see the class 2 ships are now been seen to and as soon as i've finished the ships i will release an updated mod which will include all the latest changes which are as follows.

1) Ships waterline (as seen above)
2)Cannon hp value's lowered to allow for cannons to be destroyed in battles.
3)Shipyards generate Xebec's and Battle Xebecs and the Quest ship Arabella and the quest Corvette.
4)Some slight changes to Ship and Sail hp for some ships, mostly this was to seperate the trade ships like Caravel, Fluyt, Pinnace and Galleon etc from the other ships in there class since they would have been able to take more damage in battles than other ships in there class.

Thanks to those who are using this mod and i hope your enjoying the new added challanges and hopefully improved navel comabt so many of us are searching for, whats a pirate or any ship combat game without good ship combat? this mod is what i call a fix and version 1.3 is now released which fixes a few things and changes a few things that are still to be tested, these are cannon hp value's. I'm looking to see AI aswell as player controled ships loosing cannons in battles before there ships are sunk, if that can be achieved then thats one more improvement made since its almost impossible to make an AI controled ships cannon fall out in the vanilla version. The other thing thats still to be tested is ships been generated at the shipyard, thats not too difficult to test its a simple save the game before talking to the shipyard owner and reload the game and talk to him again for different ships each time till i'm happy with the ships been generated. You shoud now see the following ships been generated or been generated more often (fingures crossed)
Xebec
Battle Xebec
Shark
Arabella
Quest Corvette (i can remove this if you want)
Light Man Of War
Man Of War
Battle Man Of War

If you do not have the above ships in your game then you will need to install the ships and character mod first, you can read about it here on this topic called New ships and characters it will explain in that topic where to download the mods you will need.

Here is the link to the new version and for obvious reasons the first post in this topic has been updated to includethe new link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MZFIXL9E

Thanks for the mod. I downloaded and have been trying it out since yesterday. The longer and more realistic battles are great and I also like the changes to the ships waterline.

After I downloaded the mod, I started a new game, and one problem that I am having is with the starting characters accuracy. Even with a cannoneer, most of my shots miss the enemy ships. I have some improvement when I manually aim chain shot. Most other shots seem to miss whether I aim the cannons or not.
This is a vanilla CoAS problem and has little to do with your mod except that more hits are needed to do a significant amount of damage to an enemy ship. The long battles are fine, and I enjoy them, however the more I shoot my cannons the more likely they are to explode. As a starting character I am having to flee engagements because I have no cannons left to fire at the enemy. They have all exploded before I could deal out enough damage to and board enemy ships.

Is there a file that could be tweaked to lessen the percent chance of cannon explosion in the next update?
Thanks.

Thanks for your comments Stowaway and i'm happy you like the new battle lengths. Because of trying to sort out the waterline codes for the ships no testing was done on the cannons so now i know that they are to weak. I will tweak the codes to improve cannon life, just so you know the higher the calibure the higher the cannons hp is and the more damage you will inflict on an enemy ship.

I'm now starting to test the updates made in this update, i will be adding a few new things in the next update to further improve the game experience.

Again thank you Stowaway, please report how your game is going and how you find the mod as your charater gains ranks and skills. :onya

It would be nice to refit damaged cannons whilest in battle currently this is not possible, however you can go to Age of Pirates 2\Program\CANNONS and open the file called Cannons_init. at the bottom of each cannon calibure you will see this line of code.

rCannon.hp = 60.0;

just change the value to what ever you want, the high the value the lower the chance of the cannon falling out. So you could end up with a code like.

rCannon.hp = 300.0;

With such a high value as that your ship would sink before a single cannon is destroyed. However increasing the value also means the lower the chance for you to destroy any cannons on the enemy ships. This is why i'm trying to find a nice ballance between this part of the game, because in real life cannons was destroyed and ships did have to worry about been in long conflicts and some battles may have been desided due to ships loosing more of there guns durring long battles. At the moment my own edits are low and for that reason cannons will fall out more often, i'm testing though and that will all change.

But yes if you really feel you need to edit the value then do as i pointed out above, remeber back up any files you edit and you will need to start a new game before any edits will take effect or at least in this file anyway.

Best wishes
Luke.

I took your advice from the answer you gave in the gameplay section. I modified the Cannons.ini and increased all rCannon.hp times ten, so an rCannon.hp = 60 is now rCannon.hp = 600.
My theory is that if the ships have their hitpoints increased times ten, then cannons should have their hitpoints increased too because more shots are required to bring down these tough ships.

Cannon hitpoints times ten may be too much though. I will test it out today and see if the changes I made need more balance. I would still like to be able to destroy the enemy cannons, and have some of mine explode, but just not as many as before. I'll test this a while and then post the results.

Thanks, the problem with this part is the higher you have the smaller calibure of cannon the higher the larger calibure of cannon will be so the ballance needed is for large cannons to fall out and be destroyed but at the same time the smaller cannons need to be able to take enough damage to be of any use, the way around this is small increases in cannon hp or all cannons having the same hp value's.

Hopefully your testing goes well, mean while i'm trying to add a few ships to the game, i may have got one to work if i can just stop the game from crashing that is.

Fluyt Of War, a 34 gunner ship that can mount 42 pounder cannons on her.

The problem i'm having now is i can buy her from the shipyard, i can change the cannons, i can hire crew fill the cargohold at the store but i can't go to the harbour because it crashes, the final i still need to fix is the sail point file because she doesn't have one. I will try adding her as my starting ship and see if the game still crashes i expect it will.The problem with this ship must be renering her in game, because as soon as you try to go outside any building the game closes down, you can fast travel as long as you don't go to the harbour or go out side. That means i will have to look at the textures and all the other files in the resources folder. This been the first ship to be ported over by me means its going to be trail and error for a while. If there was someone who has already ported over a ship from POTC and it worked that would look at the files for me then that would be great because it would help me to see where i've gone wrong but in the mean time i will try to find some time later on today and see if i can fix it.

Luke, Enjoying the mod. :onya Some comments about the cannons earlier by Handel on skill level are right on the money. The cannons do stay in action longer with a skilled gunner even with the lower cannon hps you've applied. Its not so bad now I am using level 3 ships. I still think you should push the hps up on the guns some. They were pretty durable historically.

On porting, I'm having the same problems you are with porting brother. That's what I was talking about in that earlier post with the Batavias. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I think Jonathan Aldridge is the expert. Maybe he could give us some tips how he got the combined ships to work. He alluded they were going to work on more but I haven't seen a post from him in a while.

I'm with you. If we could get all the different Fluyts, Indiamen, Batavias, Galleons, and Frigates into CoAS from POTC, it would really add more. Once we figure out this porting business we should collaborate so we aren't working on the same ones.

Maybe we are just making a stupid mistake. Watch it end up being one number that needs changed. :modding

V/R AS

I'm so happy to hear your having fun with this mod, the caanon hp value's was not tested after i reduced them due to the caanons been far to strong now they need to be increased, the ballance is getting there by the sounds of it.

Porting ships over is proving to be challanging in its self, i would love to see most if not all the modals from POTC in COAS, i was thinking of downloading the stand alone modals uploaded by those who ported some over to see what files are different, the War Galleon which i tried not long ago will be more tricky to port over due to something not workin out but the Fluyt Of War is my main focus at the moment, if i can get that to work then it should be easier to port other ships over. I downloaded the Packet Brig to find out what files i needed and where they went, now its time to start double checking everything and learning about sailpoints and walk files.

I have in mind to try and port The following ships.

War Galleon (this is on hold)
Fluyt Of War (currently working on)
Pinnace Of War (my next project)
Cutter (this is a must)
Indiaman (a must have)

Feel free to try and port any of the obove over, i don't mind, it looks like i'll be stuck on the Fluyt Of War for a while anyway's. :modding

I'm so happy to hear your having fun with this mod, the caanon hp value's was not tested after i reduced them due to the caanons been far to strong now they need to be increased, the ballance is getting there by the sounds of it.

Porting ships over is proving to be challanging in its self, i would love to see most if not all the modals from POTC in COAS, i was thinking of downloading the stand alone modals uploaded by those who ported some over to see what files are different, the War Galleon which i tried not long ago will be more tricky to port over due to something not workin out but the Fluyt Of War is my main focus at the moment, if i can get that to work then it should be easier to port other ships over. I downloaded the Packet Brig to find out what files i needed and where they went, now its time to start double checking everything and learning about sailpoints and walk files.

I have in mind to try and port The following ships.

War Galleon (this is on hold)
Fluyt Of War (currently working on)
Pinnace Of War (my next project)
Cutter (this is a must)
Indiaman (a must have)

Feel free to try and port any of the obove over, i don't mind, it looks like i'll be stuck on the Fluyt Of War for a while anyway's. :modding
The only challanging file/s to find are the texture files... however open the GM files with Notepad++
And search for TGA to find what the textures are called ;)
All the textures go into Hull1, Hull2 & Hull3 except for deck.tga (which you need to HEX-edit to make it a different name like dick.tga so that your ships look normal ;)

Thanks again Captain Maggee, i have now found the TGA texture files i need and have installed them all apart from the deck.TGA which needs editing to dick.TGA. I do have one question though what if you already have dick.tga due to other ships been ported over?

If it was originally deck.TGA then you dont have to worry (except for HEX-editing)

Most ships use the same deck texture :yes

I'm no good with hex editors, but i have finally got a ship ported over, i wouldn't have been able to do it without your help though thank you Captain Maggee. :onya

I have been testing cannon hitpoints and anything multiplied by 2.5 on down seems realistic as far as cannon explosions and whatnot. At 2.5 multiplication I had a cannon explode in each of my 3 naval encounters with a starting character and cannoneer officer. This is much better then the original when I had more then half to all of my cannons explode in my first couple encounters and still allows for some realisim.

I really enjoyed playing with your mod. I have fought more then ten naval battles with it. I have to give up though because I can not win engagements where I am badly outclassed because grape shot has too little of an effect on enemy crew. I can de-mast a ship but would have to spend hours real-time spraying the ship with grape before I could board. Grape shot has too little effect and bombs may be overpowered when compared with the effect of the rest of the ammunition.

I have been testing cannon hitpoints and anything multiplied by 2.5 on down seems realistic as far as cannon explosions and whatnot. At 2.5 multiplication I had a cannon explode in each of my 3 naval encounters with a starting character and cannoneer officer. This is much better then the original when I had more then half to all of my cannons explode in my first couple encounters and still allows for some realisim.

I really enjoyed playing with your mod. I have fought more then ten naval battles with it. I have to give up though because I can not win engagements where I am badly outclassed because grape shot has too little of an effect on enemy crew. I can de-mast a ship but would have to spend hours real-time spraying the ship with grape before I could board. Grape shot has too little effect and bombs may be overpowered when compared with the effect of the rest of the ammunition.

Your testing seems to be going very well, 10 naval battles and your having a cannon or 2 fall out still is a good sign at least you don't have all the cannons fall out. My own testing is on hold, i want to get as many of those ships as i can into COAS, so far i think i've ported 6 ships over. War Galleon, Fluyt Of War, Sloop Of War, Cutter, Pinnace Of War, Amsterdam and the Indiaman. Oh 7 ships since yesterday not bad. I have been adding them all into one super pack aswell so they can all be installed straight away rather than installing them 1 at a time. I have uploaded each and everyone i have done so far so that they can be tested, updated or what ever by anyone who wishes to fix a texture problem or a sailorspoints file.

Anyway back to the Real Time Battle Light Version mod, thank you Stowaway for helping improve the cannon hp value's thats a big help. :onya

All these new ships will be an awesome addition to the mod. I already like how the ships have their water line changed to look and act more realistic.

Is there anyway that I can increase the effect of grapeshot and maybe reduce the effect of bombs? I had to stop playing the mod because I couldnt take out enough crew on the larger ships that I encountered. I would blast a ship with round after round of grape and it took out very few enemy crew. I could also test bombs which may be a little overpowered when compared to the damage effect of the rest of the ammunition types.

What file should I tweak to change the damage values of different ammunition?

I've often wanted to see some of the ships moved to COAS but i didn't know what i needed to do and finally when i found the time i downloaded a ship and looked into which files i would need and how to find them, of course i asked for help on this forum and now i know how to port the ships i really wanted to see in COAS over. The ships i have trouble with i put to one side for when i have more time. I have to do the sailorpoints files for some ships which can take a while to do but i will get faster the more often i do them.

I lowed the effects of grapeshot because i would use the same tactics in every battle ie, destroy there masts with chainshots, get close enough to use grapeshots and fire broadside after broadside of grapeshots till i could board the ship, i noticed most people found the crew was too easy to kill. So lowering the grapeshots hit value's ment longer drawn out battles, i still capture ships but it takes a little longer, however if you wish to test new value's out then you need to edit this part of the code from the file cannons configuration located in Age Of Pirates 2\RESOURCE\INI. As you can see the bomb is the second strongest shot type, it does 2.0 damage to ships hull's whill the round shot only does 1.5 and its the second best shot type for killing the crew.

Code:
; SEADOGS2 CANNONS CONFIGURATION

[CANNON16]

RANGE		= 400
RELOAD_TIME     = 30

[CANNON24]

RANGE		= 300
RELOAD_TIME	= 40

[BALLS_HULL_DAMAGE]

CANNONBALL	= 1.5
BOMB		= 2.0
KNIPPEL		= 0.1
GRAPE		= 0.1

[BALLS_CREW_DAMAGE]

CANNONBALL	= 0.1
BOMB		= 0.3
KNIPPEL		= 0.2
GRAPE		= 0.4

[BALLS_SAIL_DAMAGE]

CANNONBALL	= 0.2
BOMB		= 0.3
KNIPPEL		= 0.4
GRAPE		= 0.1

[BALLS_SPEED]

CANNONBALL	= 40.0
BOMB		= 20.0
KNIPPEL		= 30.0
GRAPE		= 15.0

[BALLS_RANGE]

CANNONBALL	= 1.0
BOMB		= 0.6
KNIPPEL		= 0.8
GRAPE		= 0.6

And the final file is Cannons_init located in Age Of Pirates 2\program\CANNONS, in this file i edited the following code for all cannons by lowering the value it would lower the damage the cannons was able to do.
Code:
rCannon.DamageMultiply =

Good luck and let us know how your testing goes as you change the value's. :onya

Work on the final release is fully under way with MK now looking over the ship_init file to see what he thinks of the cargo holds of all ships and while thats happening new things are been done with the likes of more cannons unlocked and some new ones added, there prices highered and the damage multiplyer, weight and reload times changed. Most of the main work has been focused around porting ships over, adding and unlocking new cannons, some small edits was made to some ships waterlines and cargo holds, while a few ships was arranged into a different class, ie Privateer and Xebec Schooner (ported ships) was originally ported into class 3 ships to try and bolster that class up more due to it been so small but after looking at the Privatter it didn't make much sense as to why either of them would be class 3 ships when they only have 22 and 26 cannons while all class 3 ships have at least 30 cannons. So they was placed into class 4 zone. Testing will start again, starting from scratch to see how it plays out and whats changed. I was thinking of making all the ships the same stats as POTC since those stats are much higher but after thinking about it that would mean cannon hit strength and damage multiplyer values would have to be increased which is not what i want to do since it looks like a good ballance has already been found. Expect the next release to be in a day or two if testing goes well. :onya

Back