• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[REL] Real Time Battle Light

a big f**king hole. xD:

There is no better way to describe that hole... you nailed it...

xD: xD: xD:

:cheeky

Well i'm a little happier now because what originally made me think wasn't possible seems to be possible and that was the cannons shot sizes.
4Ibs = 0.2
8Ibs = 0.4
12Ibs = 0.6
16Ibs = 0.8
18Ibs = 1.0
24Ibs = 1.2
32Ibs = 1.4
36Ibs = 1.6
42Ibs = 1.8
48Ibs = 2.0
92Ibs = 5.0

They have been added and are been tested, so far everything works as it was ment to and should mean a better battle system with the lower calibures been less effective on the higher class ships as would have been the case in real life. :will

Cool, Glad to hear it Luke. :will

Still can't find the elusive string I'm looking for and it may not be there. This game doesn't have the fidelity that I'm used to dealing with professionally. Certainly it's something I want to introduce in the future if possible once I have the proficiency which grows daily both here and at work. There needs to be different hardness factors for stone and wood. In high fidelity modelling we have different hardness factors as well as aspect angles modeled where impacts would occur. This being the case perhaps if I can introduce this we have different hardness factors for warship wood vs merchant wood to take into account better oak and thicker closer arranged ribs. Old Ironsides didn't get her name for nothing.

Anyway on your values...those actually represent varying degrees of mass. Earlier in one of our discussions on cannon I talked about weight doubling damage and velocity quadrupling it. Your factors actually are replicating bore. We are truly getting after the true components of caliber now. Although I might have done the graduation differently. Instead of 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, etc... I probably would have gone 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, because we are talking about only a half inch of difference in bore between a 24 to 32 and again with 32 to 42. Taking this into account, this would be a way we could give the culverins the quadruple velocity damaging power they should enjoy from the double propellant charges. I would double the numbers on any culverin to give it that credit modifier. Even if a bullet is the same size if its travelling faster (twice as fast, it will make a bigger hole in a material barrier. If its a membrane or thin barrier, its smaller, but that's the only exception. So a 24 pounder culverin in theory would produce a hole in a stone wall double the size of a 24 pounder cannon just because of the double velocity alone.

This is very exciting....we just keep getting closer to simulation all the time. Keep finding the nuggets Luke. :onya

MK

I must be getting tired, i've been looking at lines of codes all day and its time for a break, i can't say if the forts have 92 pounders or not because they are not showing when i view them through the spy glass which the spyglass file is up to date. Its another file and i can't remember which one. :shrug

Yes the bore size, we have the damage multiplier, the speed, hight and size for each calibure of cannon so we can make them pritty close to the real thing however the different levels of thikness of wood and wood types is one thing that would take RTBL in a whole new direction and make most player's have to think more tactically in battles.

The current setup is cannons and culverines both share the same stats ie.
4Ibs = 0.2
8Ibs = 0.4
12Ibs = 0.6
16Ibs = 0.8
18Ibs = 1.0
24Ibs = 1.2
32Ibs = 1.4
36Ibs = 1.6
42Ibs = 1.8
48Ibs = 2.0
92Ibs = 5.0

but i could change that as follows.

Cannons
4Ibs = 0.2
8Ibs = 0.4
12Ibs = 0.6
16Ibs = 0.8
18Ibs = 1.0
24Ibs = 1.2
32Ibs = 1.4
36Ibs = 1.6
42Ibs = 1.8
48Ibs = 2.0
92Ibs = 5.0

Culverines
4Ibs = 0.4
8Ibs = 0.6
12Ibs = 0.8
16Ibs = 1.0
18Ibs = 1.2
24Ibs = 1.4
32Ibs = 1.6
36Ibs = 1.8
42Ibs = 2.0

That would mean the 42 pounder culverine has a surface damage as the 48 pounder cannon. Of course the culverines wasn't exactly perfect when aiming as seen when they was first used by the English. The funny thing is they was to become a widly popular gun and for that reason people got better and better at aiming them. Was they really that good because in normal battles ships would sit within a few yards of one another broadside to broadside firing into each other's hulls and it would be impossible to miss really. I would expect the French was better at long distance shooting since there tactic was to run from the battles shooting at the masts and sailing and not trying to do whar all other nations did and that was try to kill the crew of there enemies.

xD: looks like i'm french the first third of the battle, english the second and spaniard the last... shoot down masts, then masacre the crew, then board and take the ship :dance

Now, back on topic, this mod sure is getting exiting guys ! keep it going !! :will

I must be getting tired, i've been looking at lines of codes all day and its time for a break, i can't say if the forts have 92 pounders or not because they are not showing when i view them through the spy glass which the spyglass file is up to date. Its another file and i can't remember which one. :shrug

Yes the bore size, we have the damage multiplier, the speed, hight and size for each calibure of cannon so we can make them pritty close to the real thing however the different levels of thikness of wood and wood types is one thing that would take RTBL in a whole new direction and make most player's have to think more tactically in battles.

The current setup is cannons and culverines both share the same stats ie.
4Ibs = 0.2
8Ibs = 0.4
12Ibs = 0.6
16Ibs = 0.8
18Ibs = 1.0
24Ibs = 1.2
32Ibs = 1.4
36Ibs = 1.6
42Ibs = 1.8
48Ibs = 2.0
92Ibs = 5.0

but i could change that as follows.

Cannons
4Ibs = 0.2
8Ibs = 0.4
12Ibs = 0.6
16Ibs = 0.8
18Ibs = 1.0
24Ibs = 1.2
32Ibs = 1.4
36Ibs = 1.6
42Ibs = 1.8
48Ibs = 2.0
92Ibs = 5.0

Culverines
4Ibs = 0.4
8Ibs = 0.6
12Ibs = 0.8
16Ibs = 1.0
18Ibs = 1.2
24Ibs = 1.4
32Ibs = 1.6
36Ibs = 1.8
42Ibs = 2.0

That would mean the 42 pounder culverine has a surface damage as the 48 pounder cannon. Of course the culverines wasn't exactly perfect when aiming as seen when they was first used by the English. The funny thing is they was to become a widly popular gun and for that reason people got better and better at aiming them. Was they really that good because in normal battles ships would sit within a few yards of one another broadside to broadside firing into each other's hulls and it would be impossible to miss really. I would expect the French was better at long distance shooting since there tactic was to run from the battles shooting at the masts and sailing and not trying to do whar all other nations did and that was try to kill the crew of there enemies.

Hi Guys, great work on this by the way. I'm downloading the mod to try out now, I do have a question though, In POTC you could change the firing arc angles, I tweaked mine a very long time ago to be a bit more realistic for the gun carriage being spiked around etc. Can this be done in COAS? I looked everywhere for the azimuth settings but can only see the elevation settings. It used to be in the one of the cannon files or the ship init files but it was so long ago I can't remember. The quarter dead zones shouldn't really be that big, with a gun spiked around it was easy to get a 90 degree AOF for a single gun, depending on the gun port design of course and the strength of the breechings. I just wanted to open up the firing arcs a bit, I was messing around in a war brig and couldn't fir out of about a 60 degree AOF and that’s just plain ridiculous. Unless I was within 15 degrees of full broad side or head on the guns just wouldn't train and when firing at range that’s impossible to lay a decent shot.

So if you could advise me where to start looking I'll then tweak away to try and get it a bit more accurate and playable.

Keep up the good work guys

BB

Back