• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Reload points

Skull233244

Powder Monkey
Be there a way to create new reload points in a certain area?, particularly indoor locations. For example I want to create a passageway from a pirate house in the jungle to the beach tunnel on Nevis. I also want to add back room with a secret passageway in it.

The link was missing. Try this:
Locators with the TOOL

Another useful trick with TOOL is to write locators to a text file. When you have loaded the locator file, look at the "Locators" tab":
tool_locators_write.jpg
"Write to File" dumps all the locator information into a text file. "Read from File" reads the locators from a text file into the current model. This gives you a way to see your new locator. (And also to put your new locator right under an existing "Reload" locator, rather than right at the end of the file.)

The problem: the model file and the locator file are separate. If you load the model file into GM Viewer, you won't see locators. If you load the locator file into GM viewer, you won't see the model.

The solution: read the locator file into TOOL, use "Locators -> Write to File" to dump the locators. Read the model file into TOOL, use "Locators -> Read from File", and save the result as a completely new file - this one will work in GM Viewer and let you see the model with the locators, but will probably not work in the game, so don't overwrite the existing model file! If the original model is "mine.gm" then I'll save this version as "mine_with_locators.gm".

Read this one into GM Viewer, switch on locators and locator names, now you can see where all the locators are on the model. Add your new locator to this file, change the co-ordinates, save it, look at it again with GM Viewer and see where your locator has appeared. Change the co-ordinates, save it again, look at it again with GM Viewer - repeat until the locator is where you want it.

Dump the locators to the text file, load the original locator file, read the new locator from the text file, and save it back as the locator file - or, for preference, save it as a new locator file as suggested in section 7B of the tutorial. (This is particularly important if you are modifying the tunnels on Nevis because they play a crucial part in the "Hornblower" storyline, so leave the original tunnels as they are!)

I added Coords to Oxbay_locators.gm as a test run but it didn't work, and I didn't see an "_x" at the end of the file once I applied the changes on tool. Am I missing a step or something?

Or you switched off the option which adds the "_x". Check the date on the file - if it's the same day that you were working on the file, you've saved the changes and overwritten the file.

Or you switched off the option which adds the "_x". Check the date on the file - if it's the same day that you were working on the file, you've saved the changes and overwritten the file.
Okay I figured out the "_x" part but is Oxbay_locators.gm the one I add the new reload point too?, because I only see a few there and don't know what they mean or what I'm supposed to name the new point. Like these are the the coords for my testing point:

Attachments

• 2023-06-20 18.22.12.jpg
    2023-06-20 18.22.12.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 52
"Oxbay_locators.gm" is the locator file for Oxbay island, i.e. Barbados. You'd only want to add a new reload there if you want to add a new beach.

I thought you wanted to add locators to the pirate house and the beach tunnel on Nevis. Both of these are defined in "PROGRAM\Locations\init\QuebradasCostillas.c". Pirate house:
Code:
    Locations[n].filespath.models = "locations\Inside\Pirate_House";

Locations[n].id = "QC_Pirate_house_inside";
    locations[n].id.label = "Inside strange house";
    Locations[n].image = "Inside_Pirate_House.tga";
    //Sound
    locations[n].type = "house";
    //Models
    //Always
    Locations[n].models.always.locators = "pirh_l";
    Locations[n].models.always.house = "pirh";

Beach tunnel:
Code:
    Locations[n].id = "Tunnel";
    locations[n].id.label = "Beach Tunnel";
    Locations[n].filespath.models = "locations\Inside\Mine";
    Locations[n].image = "Inside_Mine.tga";

//Town sack
    Locations[n].townsack = "Charlestown";
    //Sound
    locations[n].type = "cave";

//Models
    //Always
    Locations[n].models.always.locators = "mine_l";
    Locations[n].models.always.l1 = "mine";
So, for the pirate house, you want "RESOURCE\MODELS\locations\Inside\Pirate_House\pirh_l.gm", and for the tunnel you want "RESOURCE\MODELS\locations\Inside\Mine\mine_l.gm". Incidentally, "mine_l.gm" is also used by the mine in Bridgetown canyon, so you'll definitely want to rename your version, otherwise your new locator will appear there as well.

Oxbay and Quebradas Costillas are names of islands and towns in the stock game - the stock game mostly used the same names for towns as islands. They are still used for programming. Stock game names and their island and town names in the mod (subject to being changed again in different periods):
Oxbay = Barbados/Speightstown
Greenford = -/Bridgetown
Redmond = Jamaica/Port Royale
Falaise de Fleur = Martinique/St. Pierre
Conceicao = La Grenade/Sao Jorge
Isla Muelle = Puerto Rico/San Juan
Quebradas Costillas = Nevis/Pirate Settlement
Khael Roa = Cozumel/-

Yeah I thought I was modifying the wrong file. Okay so I added the locator to the Pirate House file you mentioned but when I enter the house I now get a black void. Was there another step?

This is the new reload point for the pirate house I added (at the bottom). But as soon as I added it the house becomes a black void. And yes I replaced the original file and with this one and deleted the "_x".

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-22 225420.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-22 225420.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 58
In that screenshot of TOOL, you've set XX to -47433. It should be -0.47433. Check ZZ, which is not shown in the screenshot - is that -47433 as well?

In general, these values should be between -1 and 1.

I fixed that but I still get the black void, this is what I currently have.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-22 225420.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-22 225420.png
    37 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-06-23 135219.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-23 135219.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 41
The file is called "system.log". There should also be "compile.log", and sometimes "error.log". They should be in the top level of the game installation folder - not in the "PROGRAM" or "RESOURCE" folders.

Which reminds me - where have you installed the game? What is the game installation folder?

The file is called "system.log". There should also be "compile.log", and sometimes "error.log". They should be in the top level of the game installation folder - not in the "PROGRAM" or "RESOURCE" folders.

Which reminds me - where have you installed the game? What is the game installation folder?
Program Files (x86)/Bethesda Softworks/Pirates of the Carribean. Basically the same place the original game would be.

I have New Horizons Build 14 I believe.

Back