• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Replacement Texture scaling for Low Res Crew GM models

TheBlackKnight

Corsaire Flibustier
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
All,

This is something I have want to fix for a very long time in Akella's CoAS game, but I think I need assistance from a character modeler.

I have wanted to replace the low res crew models on ship too much higher definition (polygon count and textures quality) because modern computers can easily handle this feature, but I cannot seem to get the textures to map correctly to actual models without some sort of tearing with the animations or textures.

It seems that the GM models are being scaled down to the ship size, but something does not quite match up.
Either I can get the model overlapped or not at all.
The imported models work fine.

I think the answer hear is to simply make a new GM model but that is a major pain in the butt, but the maya system is completely archaic.

Any suggestions?

Finding someone willing and able to do this job is unlikely. The POTC modelers have been inactive for some time. I can't remember the name of the last one, but maybe Pieter knows of someone.

Finding someone willing and able to do this job is unlikely. The POTC modelers have been inactive for some time. I can't remember the name of the last one, but maybe Pieter knows of someone.

I think I have solved the problem by tweaking the animation files.
I just need to test them all.
Too bad about this game, it still had a lot of potential.
It might get a resurgence if POTEHO is ever released.

I'm pretty sure the 3D sailing mode crew models in PotC: New Horizons are the same as the ones currently in CoAS as we ported them over.
However, we did also improve the quality of the texture on them. But not actually on ALL of them.
Still, it could be a start for you.

I'm pretty sure the 3D sailing mode crew models in PotC: New Horizons are the same as the ones currently in CoAS as we ported them over.
However, we did also improve the quality of the texture on them. But not actually on ALL of them.
Still, it could be a start for you.

Pieter,

Thanks, this is a definite start.
I checked the POTC New Horizon files, they were the ported over CoAS version with a few new additional models based on storylines.
However, the models and textures are only slightly improved, which is not a complaint, because when the mod was updated that was ages ago.

The difference between I have been doing and the original models is about 30X the polygons and the textures are all 2048X2048 instead of 256X256, which gives "nearly" modern standards.

I did successfully import HD crew models into the game with corrected animations without tearing but the textures still do not map correctly.

This may turn into a long term project, which I may not have time for, unless I can find someone in the Russian mod group to assist.
It starts to become time intensive to re scale models and readjust everything for only 4-6 types of people on ships.

The other problem that with all those high polygons crew running around on ships, game optimization begins to be a real problem for the engine when more than 6 ships are on screen.
Not much of an impact until this point.
I don't know what would happen if there is a fleet battle with more than 10 ships.
I guess is game crashing or extreme slow down.
I keep pushing the envelope of what the engine can handle.

Last edited:
Oh, you DON'T mean the crew in 3D sailing mode! Sorry, I misunderstood.
Anyway, sounds like you're doing a great job! Again! :razz

Back