• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Respawning Characters after Reload Save

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
In Beta 3.2 WIP, it seems savegames no longer keep proper track of who is dead. The first implication of that is that dungeon crawls are now harder. I kill some of the bad guys, save game, meet a super villain who can cut straight through my parry and kill me with one or two swipes, then I reload the game, and one of the bad guys who I had previously killed now comes up behind me. I don't have a saved game to show this, but it's easy enough to find, just go into the dungeon of your choice.

It also had a peculiar effect in a mansion. I'd offered to protect the owner, then failed because one of the villains appeared behind me and killed the owner while I was fighting the others. Since I routinely save game before trying to collect the reward against exactly this possibility, I reloaded. This time I was able to kill all the villains. And now there were two owners, the original one respawned and the one who was supposed to be there. Talking to them, one of them offered the reward for the night's protection while the other gave the normal starting choices about being wounded, being in trouble with guards, offering to be a bodyguard etc. I saved and reloaded again. And now there are three of them.

3lauras.jpg

Attachments

• -=Player=- Barbados.7z
    485.4 KB · Views: 101
  • compile.7z
    10.6 KB · Views: 104
  • error.7z
    361 bytes · Views: 102
  • system.7z
    1.2 KB · Views: 106
Might be due to @Levis' recently rewritten character encounter code.

Haven't yet been able to trigger it myself though. Going on a killing spree myself in the Kralendijk dungeon and town, everybody just remained dead. o_O

It was quite funny when I picked a fight with the town guards, they accidentally shot one of the citizens.
Next thing you know, the citizens are on MY side! :rofl

Might be due to @Levis' recently rewritten character encounter code.

Haven't yet been able to trigger it myself though. Going on a killing spree myself in the Kralendijk dungeon and town, everybody just remained dead. o_O
Did you kill some of them, save game, then reload? Dead people seem to remain dead so long as you haven't died and reloaded a saved game.

Take a look at this saved game. There are some random civilians and a gang of highwaymen.

There now seem to be several encounters at once. That's not so bad when one of them is villains and one of them is random civilians. It is bad when there are two or three groups of villains. Especially when some of the villains are the super type who can ignore your parry and take you out with one or two swipes. Even more especially when you kill some of them, save game, get killed, reload the saved game, and the ones you killed are back (see Respawning). So I had one occasion, unfortunately without a saved game or log files, in which there were rapists and evil monkeys. I killed the monkeys, saved game, turned to face the rapists, got killed, reloaded, and now the nearest dead monkey had respawned as a random human villain. It soon became clear that this was unwinnable, so I had to run away and leave the unfortunate woman to her fate - not exactly my finest hour. :(

Attachments

• -=Player=- Barbados.7z
    500.4 KB · Views: 100
  • compile.7z
    1.6 KB · Views: 94
  • system.7z
    574 bytes · Views: 110
Indeed something weird is going on. As far as I can tell:
- Static characters defined in the init files do NOT reappear and stay properly dead
- To take the place of these characters, a whole bunch of BRAND NEW ones are generated

Note that these are NOT actually the same characters again as the models after reloading the save didn't match up with the ones before.
But indeed it isn't right. :no

They may be two symptoms of the same underlying problem, but there are nonetheless two distinct symptoms:

1: Respawning dead.
2: Several different encounters at the same time, e.g. random civilians and highwaymen, or rapists and evil undead monkeys.

The serveral encounters thing should now be fixed with the latest fixes I posted in the main build topic.
The respawning of dead I have to look into more. It's not my fault at least :p.

The problem of multiple groups at the same time and the dead respawning was still happening yesterday. I no longer go in dungeons or caves and when it happens in the jungle I turn back to the last map and then re-enter until a "possible" combination happens, like the 2 groups are far enough apart that I can take them on one at a time.

This here seems a bit of a concerning problem to me. It is definitely a Beta 3.2 newly introduced bug.
Can we make a public release without this being fixed?

Like I said the multiple groups is fixed.
I will see if I can take a look at this problem. How long do I have before you must leave?

My flight is on Saturday. I'd like to have a few days in hand though, so ideally Thursday by the latest.

I am mainly concerned with the "Respawning Characters After Reload Save".

Must have been a recent change though. It never used to happen. Not until after Beta 3.1 anyway. o_O
To some extent, dead respawned even in the stock game. You could never clear out some dungeons (the one in Redmond, for example) because by the time you'd wandered through the whole thing, the first few enemies you had killed had been replaced. Other dungeons could be cleared, e.g. Oxbay cave - you'd know you'd killed everybody because your icon stopped flashing red and the music changed.

In earlier versions of Beta 3, you could even clear out Port Royale / Kingston dungeon. It may even have been possible in a previous version of Beta 3.2 WIP. In fact, it almost certainly was, because if the dead had been respawning then, I'd have reported it earlier. ;) Even when playing "Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower" I raid every dungeon I can find, as early as possible, in order to raise my Melee skill. And if I'm stuck in a town at night and want to do something by day, I generally find a house or mansion and offer to be a bodyguard, partly to raise reputation and partly to raise Melee skill if burglars show up. All of which means if dead people get respawned, I'm likely to find out about it very quickly!

Multiple encounters in the jungle definitely did not happen before Beta 3.2 WIP, and again I don't think they happened in the earlier version of Beta 3.2 WIP. The most recent version of WIP that I've been using is probably the one I got on 7th May. (Then I got another one on 9th May, but I haven't installed that one as I don't want to lose my progress so far.) Previously I'd been using one I downloaded on 23rd April. So whatever is causing the problems is likely to have been added between those dates.

I think what the problem is, is that the monsters and encounters are called in the location loader and these are also called on a reload, the shouldn't be called then. so a check has to be placed there.
I dont have time again today I think. I'm very busy this week

To some extent, dead respawned even in the stock game. You could never clear out some dungeons (the one in Redmond, for example) because by the time you'd wandered through the whole thing, the first few enemies you had killed had been replaced. Other dungeons could be cleared, e.g. Oxbay cave - you'd know you'd killed everybody because your icon stopped flashing red and the music changed.
That was continuous respawning though. We "broke" that when we added the lootable corpses.
In this case, we are talking specifically about "respawning upon loading a savegame". Which is new and definitely not right.

It doesn't take a new save to have 2 groups on the same map. It is now normal that when you enter a map there are 2 groups to contend with. Then if you die and restart there are 4 groups. After one memorable battle I was the only one left standing and there were piles of corpses everywhere.

I think this should fix it. Changed it on row 485.
I might have accedently took it out of this check. If this doesn't fix it I need to install a 3.1 version to see what else could cause it.
place in: POTC\PROGRAM\Locations

Attachments

• locations_loader.c
    39.6 KB · Views: 145
Back