• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Sail Colors & Cannons

lucianblack

Cursed Corsair
Hey everybody, new here. Although I've been lurking on the forums every once in awhile looking for them tips and tricks to the game ^_^ Found out how to create my own character/desc. choose a ship, etc etc ANYWAYS: The help I'm in need of are a couple minor things, maybe I'm just not doing something right.

1.) When I go to the shipyard, I talk to the shipwrite, and go through the options, I choose: Black for my sails. It takes the money 7500 (gold, dabloons, or whatever they are). But when I go to my ship, the sails are still default white ? o_O
- for this character the starter ship is a Brigantine (not sure if that's a stock or modded ship) but the sails don't want to change. I tried it with the Interceptor as well, those sails don't change either

NOTE: Unrelated to the question I noticed the Interceptor is a bit low (has water running through it) and the crews walk 1/2 way INTO the ship when walking around :p I don't think the deck is supposed to be at their waist heh

2.) Cannons. 16 4lb guns are on by default, I upgraded the caliber via shipyard to 12lb (max I think) with all the gold and materials necessary. Even bought 16 12lb cannons.... but uhhh how do I switch out the 4lb ers for the 12lb ers ?

I would greatly appreciate all the help ^_^ At least a point in the right direction. Also I'm semi-familiar with the C language (not a master or anything) but I wouldn't mind helping here and there if ya need something done :)

Hey bud

Which mod are you playing?

Yes the Brigantine is a COAS stock ship with only minor changes.

I never use the Interceptor so have never seen this problem lol, but I will look into it.

If you press F2 and go to the ships tab, then double click on where it tells you what calibure guns you have mounted. This will open up a new window where you can remove those 4Ibs and put in place your 12Ibs guns.

> COAS: GoF2.0
> Yeah it's not game breaking, but kinda funny to see during combat :p
> Oooooohhhh... *facepalm* was trying to see if the shipwrite does the modding the whole time. Thanks on the cannon issue at least.

EDIT: Oh while I'm asking :p Um what are the floating light orbs in the caves and dungeons, etc? I fight and kill all the skeletons but can't do anything with the orb. Is it just supposed to be some kind of marker that treasure is there somewhere?

Last edited:
if you want black sails, capture the black pearl in a pirate, military or bounty hunter fleet, works best, and you can take the dutchman and queen anne revenge as well as the pearl.
pearl.jpg qar.jpg tfd.jpg

Believe it or not, I don't want the pearl :p It's just not the same as the cursed pearl with the fog effects as in PotC-New Horizons.... but there's no fog effect or cursed pearl that I can tell in COAS. And besides that's not the point.. the point is a feature to change sail colors is in the mod/game... but it's not working? At least not for me, haven't seen any other topics or issues about it, so am assuming it's either working for everyone else or just no one bothered trying it.
(and before you ask "why aren't you playing PotC-NH then?" because I like COAS better ^_^)

That's because the sail upgrades was removed for the new version while I worked on getting the code in correctly. But then I burned myself out and lost interest in the game and the mod and am now having to force myself to play the game a little to try and get my interest back in the game, one day I will start to look into things again, but as to when that will be I don't know.

>Pieter: I like it for a few things. Despite their similarities, I like the world map in COAS better (because it has the wind direction... unless I'm blind and never saw it in PotC), the GUI as a whole looked better to me, although the PotC realistic icons was a nice touch. I like how to handle the combat in COAS with the click of a mouse (even though spacebar is just as easy lol). So yeah.. mostly overall the graphical portions. Plus I think there was something with PotC (I forget what) in one of the mod options that I didn't like... Don't take that last part into any account though, I know I can just turn them on/off. If I remember or go back and re-install PotC I can tell ya but for the moment enjoying COAS ^_^

>Luke159: Ah okay that explains it. Thought I did something wrong hehe. I know how ya feel about getting burned out. Even though RPG Maker VX Ace is no where near complicated I'm sure (but of course it uses Ruby, I'm not as familiar with Ruby as I am with C language (think mostly C++)) and all that workin gets you tired out after awhile and you're like "F*** I wanna do something else for awhile" lol. I'm not goinna try to persuade you one way or another.... *rolls Persuade skill* :p but take a break if you need it. Take deep breaths, and dip yourself in the waters of lake Minnetonka (if you don't get the reference, watch Dave Chappelle show, Charlie Murphy stories with Prince) lol.

Anyways if that's the case I can hold off on the sails part then, no biggie. At least I now know how to switch out the cannons and that's important!!! By the way I appreciate what you guys are doing (not only helping answering my questions lol) but working on something for a community for an old game! Loving it. If you need/want me to look at anything maybe I could even help out. There's no gaurantee but.. I wouldn't mind giving it a try at least. I've never done full scripts for other games, just mainly the Aurora engine from Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 (as well as modifying scripts for Knights of the Old Republic or Jade Empire. I got a compiler and Notepad ++ (set for C++ language or the NWN language whichever is appropriate) :) I could even brush up on the storm engine if necessary

>Pieter: I like it for a few things. Despite their similarities, I like the world map in COAS better (because it has the wind direction... unless I'm blind and never saw it in PotC)
Indeed PotC doesn't have wind on the worldmap and it doesn't remember the ships on there either for when you return; that's quite unfortunate and definitely better on AoP and CoAS.
On the other hand, we now do have a proper accurate Caribbean in the game, similar to CoAS. So that's something at least.

the GUI as a whole looked better to me, although the PotC realistic icons was a nice touch. So yeah.. mostly overall the graphical portions.
I understand the sea and some special effects in CoAS are better, but the menus in PotC have been improved quite a bit.
The on-screen display in CoAS is quite different though. I've gotten rather used to the PotC one and find the CoAS layout there to look a bit "weird".
But that's personal preference for you. At least we've been doing some cleaning up on various of the icons used.

I like how to handle the combat in COAS with the click of a mouse (even though spacebar is just as easy lol).
You mean the controls assignment? You can change that to your liking in the Options Menu. Indeed the stock PotC controls don't exactly make the most sense.
And I've been getting round to quite liking firing pistols with the left mouse buttons instead of "Q".

Plus I think there was something with PotC (I forget what) in one of the mod options that I didn't like... Don't take that last part into any account though, I know I can just turn them on/off.
If you ever remember what that was, perhaps we can do something about that on the default settings?
Input and suggestions are always good.

If I remember or go back and re-install PotC I can tell ya but for the moment enjoying COAS ^_^
When was the last time you tried it? We've been making a lot of substantial progress over the past few months, so by the time you do decide to try it again, it'll be MUCH better.
Anyway, there's nothing wrong with enjoying CoAS, of course. Shame I never have the time to try it myself, but from what I gather, it IS a better good pirate game. :yes

>Pierter: Hmmm think the last time I played was Build 13 or something lol. I also noticed that the WIP's keep updating often :p (not a bad thing). But I had WIP16 for 1 day before ya'll updated it to WIP17 lol. (trying to keep up to date with the mod for that time I want to install PotC again. EDIT- and I made sure to download Build 14 2.1 and 2.5 lite as well

>Hylie: Funny I never looked at the sky all that much but yeah overall I like graphics and fighting much better. I'm still confused at what the floating light orbs are though (in dungeons and caves) I know when I go near it skeletons spawn, but is it just that? A spawn point? I thought there was a hint somewhere that the light orbs were marks of special treasure or I was probably hallucinating or something I don't know lol

>Pierter: Hmmm think the last time I played was Build 13 or something lol.
That is quite ancient by now! Build 13 was a good modpack, but the Build 14 Beta versions add SO much new stuff it is like being 6 new games. :cheeky

I also noticed that the WIP's keep updating often :p (not a bad thing). But I had WIP16 for 1 day before ya'll updated it to WIP17 lol. (trying to keep up to date with the mod for that time I want to install PotC again. EDIT- and I made sure to download Build 14 2.1 and 2.5 lite as well
Indeed we've been doing a lot of active modding these past few months. You don't have to keep updating though.
We're trying to work towards a proper Beta 3 version some time soonish. That should be good for proper playing.

>Hylie: okay thank you for clearing that up :)
>Pierter: Well as I said, if ya'll need any help I'd be glad to poke my head in ^_^ Until then I got some merchants to raid and plunder :) Yarr!!

Not sure if you mean with the coding or personal :p I no longer fight with my inner demons, we're on the same side now ^_^

EDIT: Actually I decided to re-install PotC, will try the new build. See if I can also locate that mod feature that was kinda 'meh' for me, see if I can give positive criticism ^_^ Screenies look great.

Last edited:
Not sure if you mean with the coding or personal :p I no longer fight with my inner demons, we're on the same side now ^_^
Well, I meant testing and coding. I may be a bit on the odd side, but not that far mentally disturbed. :rofl

Back