• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Advanced Interface and Flags Code (and much more)

Does this look about right to you then?
SelectShip.jpg

HA! I just figured out how to make the other selection boxes use the fancy written font of the "ship tier" selection as well. So definitely looks nicer now.

For character selection, I've got the "Named" selected by default to give the players a good, limited choice to begin with.
All other models are still available, but I figure people might be a bit overwhelmed if they get to scroll through 1049 character models to start out with. :shock

And the interface now uses the 256 portraits instead of the 128 ones, which also looks much more detailed.

Going further on Select Storyline, I noticed the following:

- When I tried to use the character type filters, they appeared not to work.
This turned out to be because I set the "Fame Level" to "Named" by default.
So I made a slight code change so that if you DO use any of the other filters, the "Fame Level" one is automatically switched off.

- Not all officer models would show up if you use type "Any". This was because the game looked at the "Mates" group and not the REAL officer types.
I changed the code so it no longer uses "Mates" because that doesn't have all officers included.
Instead, it now looks at the proper officer types.

- The "Text" filter was very slow because it checked the language-translated texts. That means that for EACH model it had to translate FOUR texts,
which requires reading Lord knows how many different files. So I removed ALL translation from that code.
Now there is no lag on the filter anymore at all.

So as far as I can tell, the character model filters now work properly and quickly.
Should be quite useful for quest modders too! If you need to find an appropriate character model, just use the Select Storyline filters! :woot

Continuing with the ship models part:

- I noticed I had bugged up the "texture group" selection, which resulted in me removing it from the interface because it wasn't working.
Restoring the related code led me to find that THAT is where the bug of being able to select too large ships comes from.

- Wrong-period ships can NOT be encountered. However, their GROUP could still be selected, causing weird effects.
Therefore I removed the display of all groups that don't fit into the other parameters.
So you won't even SEE the names for the larger ship groups, which looks much cleaner.

- There were lots of groups with only one ship in them. I have cleaned that up so only groups remain that actually have multiple skins available.

- If you have Cheatmode enabled, you can select ANY ship in the game, regardless of class. However, Period IS taken into account for Modding purposes.

So as far as I can tell, it is NO LONGER possible to bug out the interface and select the wrong ships with Cheatmode OFF.

Last edited:
Storyline Filters Fixed
Well mates, I seem to have managed to get both the Character model and Ship type filters working correctly with and without Cheatmode enabled.

Stuff improved:
- "Named" Character Selection disabled as soon as you use any of the other filters
- "Any" Officer Type Selection fixed to REALLY show ALL officer types
- Performance of text filters is much quicker, especially on the Character Selection
- Display of "United States" name in scroll menus fixed
- Ship Selection does not allow selection of unavailable ships. Furthermore, it doesn't even allow selection of the option that would give you unavailable ships!
- "Nation" filter added to Ship Selection menu

The above offers a wide range of possibilities for Modders too by making it much easier to find appropriate character models and ships.
Non-period ships can NEVER be selected, not even if the Cheatmode IS on, so you will always get a correct ship type.

You can also use it for analysis. For example: If you set the ship filters for Nation = Holland, you will be unable to select Tier 1 at all.
This is, of course, because Holland does not HAVE any. And the "Group" box shows ALL ship types in the game that allow repainting.

In other words: LOTS of potential.

Extract attached to your main game folder to try it out. Let me know if you have any comments.
Please do play around with it for a bit; I want to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Edit: See http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686 for the updated file.

Last edited:
WTF? The whole Character group selection doesn't work anymore at all. It was working before; I SAW it!
NOW what did I do??? :modding

Wha Da F*CK???? Now the group type selection doesn't even work anymore with the original WIP 17 code files.
And I KNOW - KNOW - KNOW that worked before I started tweaking things today.

Worse still, the code in the Select Storyline interface now claims that Brodyaga is NOT part of "poor_citizens".
But when I check while running the game, he is. How does that work? This is beyond insane.
So can someone please test the above files and let me know if the character GROUP filters do or do not work for you??? :modding :shock :boom: o_O

We can't break it yet because Pieter already broke it. :boom:

I just did a B17 install with that little fixit thingy and where you select you character is indeed broken.
B17-1.jpg B17-2.jpg The 1st screen is self explanatory while that is indeed one poor excuse for a woman in the 2nd one. The only thing that seems to work is the scrolling through the pics part.

Wha? That's even more broken that it is for me. MUCH more. For me, the Group filter just doesn't work.

Isn't it about 0330 there? Are you pulling an all nighter?
Caught me, did you? I had wanted to get it done yesterday, but that game was just not cooperating.

Well, this is just great. The filtering DOES work brilliantly. You just have to have a game loaded BEFORE it works.
The model initialization code strikes again!!! :thumbsdown2

So, that means that you have to start a game and then go back and start another game to get all the options to work? :unsure If so, expect many questions from WIP17 users.

Indeed that is NOT exactly ideal. Thankfully I have fixed it now and all we lost is the ability to reinitialize models on savegames.
But I don't think many people need to do that anyway; easy enough to just start a new game.
In the meantime, I've fixed a whole bunch of other Select Storyline related issues; we're finally getting close to working AS I WANT!!! :whipa

Back