• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

San Martin galleon

Just an update, with borrowed locators until i manage to complete his own set, here are two screenies of the San Martin ingame...

comments welcome !

And a little bonus...

Anyone wants to put them somewhere when finished ?

Welcome to our board, SuperChango. It's nice to have a new (excellent) modeller and a (possibly future) quest writer and both in one person.

The problem with a ships size after exporting to gm format was known earlier. Unfortunately, as I never ever tried to setup Maya to work, I read on forums that often "normal-sized" ships visible in Maya was the size of a toy in game. I'm affraid that method with "reference model" won't work and you'll be forced to use time consuming and inconvenient method of trials and errors.

pirate_kk

Oi, the model is looking good, really good I must say. Still, texture could be better, to give the San Martin it's full glory ;)

thanks a lot PKK !
@TTT: i'm still thinking about cutting the gunports, that because of the texture you see there... is far from finished tough... i've been swapping to texturing only when i get tired of changing locators :cheeky
Also i've noticed how much lighter the textures are ingame, i had to darken everything i did before testing...
I hope next update is the final version of this "low poly" San Martin

Looks good...

And about size-of-a-toy-ship, could this be (in any case) the matter of one checkbox inside maya sd2geoexport plugin options, called "scale 0.01 (mm->m)" ??? I have explained this thing inside my unfinished tutorial...

And about size-of-a-toy-ship, could this be (in any case) the matter of one checkbox inside maya sd2geoexport plugin options, called "scale 0.01 (mm->m)" ??? I have explained this thing inside my unfinished tutorial...
As far as I know SuperChango wrote in some previous post that he got identical results with that option turned on and off. That must be some other problem, but unfortunately I'm unable to figure out what is it.

pirate_kk

Ok, i had 3 days off work and so i went "the hard way", cutted the gunports, added "interiors" to those in the lower decks... and the lines on both sides are now modeled and merged to the hull.
What's left is, re UV map the hull, finish the textures and then, placing locators
The good thing is that i'v retested the model ingame and there is an average of -2 frames compared to the old mesh.

@BoP: sorry mate... no can do... however, if i find a way i'll let you know... :doff

@Pieter: aren't you suposed to be @ sea !? glad you can keep in touch !

@SD & P_KK: tryed that, but doesn't work, the best i could do was opening SanMartin.gm, then append galeon_h1.gm (in TOOL) and rescaling there.

I AM at sea. Satellite internet is pretty cool, eh?
Weather in the (real) Caribbean at the moment is rather stormy though.

Gentleman, i'm currently texturing, all the UV mapping is done and masked' waiting for color, now, any ideas on/for the scheme, because all i managed to find is plain wood, no color at all...

Here's a pic of Marine historian and artist Joseph Wheatley's interpretation of San Martin 1580. Many galleons were much more colorful. The Royal or official galleons usually wore alternating patterns of yellow and red triangles, angled stripes and chevrons. The Spanish Admiralties had specific color conventions over time and my research has run into a lot of confusing standards or exceptions. Naval ships and espcially flagships (Almirante) usually wore alternating yellow and red chevrons down the length of the hull. I've attached two pics of a Galleon I'm buiding at home to illustrate a Spanish Naval scheme that would have been in use during the last half of the sixteenth cent and first decade of two of the seventeenth cent.

One of the discussions talked about it being a derelict (very cool) so you could have faded colors. However, in my mind the usual service life of ships in those times was 20 to 30 years. There are solid notable exceptions to this. The Jesus of Lubeck (very similar to your model) was over 80 years old when she was lost at the action at San Juan de Ulloa.

This is a great model - very excited! :will V/R AS

Attachments

• Wheatley\'s San Martin 1580.jpg
    Wheatley\'s San Martin 1580.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC01286.JPG
    DSC01286.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC01285.JPG
    DSC01285.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 189
Here's a pic of Marine historian and artist Joseph Wheatley's interpretation of San Martin 1580. Many galleons were much more colorful. The Royal or official galleons usually wore alternating patterns of yellow and red triangles, angled stripes and chevrons. The Spanish Admiralties had specific color conventions over time and my research has run into a lot of confusing standards or exceptions. Naval ships and espcially flagships (Almirante) usually wore alternating yellow and red chevrons down the length of the hull. I've attached two pics of a Galleon I'm buiding at home to illustrate a Spanish Naval scheme that would have been in use during the last half of the sixteenth cent and first decade of two of the seventeenth cent.

One of the discussions talked about it being a derelict (very cool) so you could have faded colors. However, in my mind the usual service life of ships in those times was 20 to 30 years. There are solid notable exceptions to this. The Jesus of Lubeck (very similar to your model) was over 80 years old when she was lost at the action at San Juan de Ulloa.

This is a great model - very excited! :will V/R AS

OMG where did you got that from !!! exelent, those pictures of your model also clarify a whole lot some doubts i had about the... ummm, front... ram... thingy... which proper name in english i dont seem to know... thanks god is not late to remodel it, and about the scheme, is the same thing all the time, there are endless interpretations about colors... i'm deciding between these two...

aledo-invencible.jpg

LA ARMADA INVENCIBLE.png
"The Sailing Chapel" xD:

None of them are the San Martin actually, the first seems to be named "Aledo", the other one, well, not a clue, but is suposed to had an important rol in the "Armada Invencible" which makes it fit, plus i like blue a lot :woot.
The funny thing about the delerict... i just googled the word, and that's exactly what i plan to do with it, some posts above i reply'd about a quest i intend to do... ;)

@BoP: hope this brings some light on you...

megan-fox-transformers.jpg

Megan Fox by the way

I thought it was Megan Fox.... OMG she is hot :cheeky

So is the Aussie girl in the second movie Isabel Lucas :D

220px-Isabel_Lucas_1.jpg

OMG she is !!! googled and the pic on the beach... :will
Back on topic !, well kind of... tell me something cap... do you think that i could change the texture and the model ??? i mean the scripty way we where talking in the previous page...

Megan Fox is a real Ember :shoot: :j2 :2up :)) .. I saw some images of her from Google..
I think SuperChango you could make a skin of her for POTC. :p3 but slightly dressed :cheeky

I'm leaving 2 days off work right as i post, so i HOPE the galleon is gonna be ready to use, with the derelict look, when i come back, i'll upload the galleon, keyra and megan to the FTP... the chars are gonna be only heads, i suppose SD or someone else could port them to the game with recycled bodys...
BTW... arabella and her cousin ? maybe ?

Yep it is possible (pretty much the way I said is 2 different ships :yes)

By Arabella do you mean Arabella Brinkley?
Cause its sister not cousin if you do xD:

Back