• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Seafaring fantasies

It should be...

• Short and concise (Typical, basic, useless XXI Century toilet paper these days)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pieter, No problem mate, it's not like you have anything else to worry about! xD:

Thanks Captain Maggee, let me know if I screwed anything up to bad! :wp

Yes, I have it, I never could get it to look quite the way I wanted it to though, so I just took it down. I can post it again if you like.

New Officer System
by unknown author
That was a simple virtual sailor . Though Aconcagua also did a lot of work on that system.

I think eventually some of the "New Horizons : The History of The Build Mod!" content
should be made more readable and go in the main Manual as well.
Most notably the Realistic vs. Arcade gameplay (after all, we DID set Realistic to default,
so it should be very obvious to people what is different) and also the Officer System, DirectSail and maybe the Weather Mod too.
But that's for another time, I suppose.

Yes, I have it, I never could get it to look quite the way I wanted it to though, so I just took it down. I can post it again if you like.
Please do. I was thinking maybe Snow White Sorrow could work it into the main Manual,
because that's what we're pointing people who just installed the modpack to.
And I think something like default controls is really important to make people notice.

No problem mate, here are two different versions. One is the layout with the background that I was using in my manual, and the other is just the key assignments and the seal. Feel free to delete the seal though, if you don't like the looks of it.

Attachments

• Default_Key.png
    Default_Key.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Default_Key_Assignments-2.png
    Default_Key_Assignments-2.png
    704.1 KB · Views: 150
New Officer System
by unknown author
That was a simple virtual sailor . Though Aconcagua also did a lot of work on that system.

That's very kind of you Pieter, but I think it will be more fair to credit Aconcagua in the first place. I'm sure the officer system is 100% his work now. :onya

If you think my name deserve to be added anyway, just put "work originaly started by a simple virtual sailor".

Your work is still what it's based on. I'd say it's a collaborative effort between you and Aconcagua.
One thing's for sure: without your original base, we'd still be having nothing.

I have updated the manual, I meant to post this a while back. :facepalm

I also added it to my signature so people can always find the latest updated version, at least in theory! :wp

Work on a write-up of all features in the Build Mod is taking place in the Features of the Build Mod thread:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net//features-of-the-build-mod-t15438.html
Everybody who is interested, please visit that thread and join in the effort.
The more help we get, the sooner it will be done and the better the end result will be!

Snow White Sorrow, would it be alright with you to do the final inclusion of the Build Mod features in the Manual?
I think you would probably be the best judge of what we do and don't need in there.

Thanks, Thagarr! What did you update?
I don't think I can download it at the moment (internet connection is unreliable at best)... :(

Not much really, just gave proper credit to a simple virtual sailor and Aconcagua for the New Officer System. There are a few more things I want to do, I just don't have the time at the moment.

Ok; thanks. Still much appreciated.
If you don't have much time, maybe you could at least try and join in the Features of the Build Mod thread?
You don't need to do much, just read what I come up with a provide feedback.
Things are being rather silent in that thread and it seems more like I'm talking to myself.
I'm not happy with that, so I'd definitly like to see some more involvement! :whipa

No promises, but after a short break with Build and a long Chinese New Year festive season ahead, some new documentation is bound to come up somewhere. The first of these will probably be ship feature related (San Martin needs more exposure), and it seems I need a new gameplay log.

Looks like my tall tale above could actually occur in reality:

Witness the tale of the Russian brig "Mercury" here
http://www.shipmodel.ru/MercuryHistory.htm

The Russian ship of 20 guns (light brig to us) found herself wedged between two Turkish Class I men o war of 110 and 74 guns respectively but managed to stall her pursuers by damaging their masts and rigging.

Total damage suffered was

When the wounded brig approached Sevastopol where there were the main forces of Black Sea Fleet, contused, with a head bandaged Kazarsky counted the losses: 4 killed, 6 wounded, 22 holes in the hull, 133 holes in the sails, 16 damages in the masts and spars, 148 in rigging.

This supports my observation that battles are much more "realistic" when cannon damage is set to minimal (0.3) and that is how I play B14A10. It was not easy to sink outright a period ship, with period weapons - damage to rigging and crew casualties was what enabled decisive boarding action. That is, not counting critical hits (powder explosions and fires etc)

On that incident, note that there were only 22 holes in the hull, while there were 133 holes in the sails, 16 damages to the masts and spars and 148 in the rigging. In other words, the vast majority of Turkish shot was directed at the sails. Given the Turkish guns were huge, we may infer that the number of shots fired at the hull would not have been all that much higher than the holes on the hull. Selimei had 110 guns, Real-bei had 74. Really, a single broadside from either would have put more holes in the hull than 22. The turks must have been firing to capture, not to kill; given the great mismatch, its sinking would have had little strategic value and it would have been far more valuable as a prize. Given that, from 22 holes in the hull 4 killed, 6 wounded is not negligible.

It was a great battle for Mercury, but i would doubt that it proves a Brig could withstand broadside after broadside of ships of the line with few casualties

But why there is no option "no historical references, no modding tutorial, because this is not place for this, roleplay is your problem, just basic technical details and actual HOW TO PLAY".
Someone forgot what manuals were for in the first place? o_O

Back