• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Several minor bugs + questions

Also, is there console command to change enemy crew morale level in battle? Wanted to give mutinied ships a fight, but they keep sailing away.
Mutinied ships should want to sail away! If it's a genuine mutiny, either because you haven't been paying your crews or you assigned a captain whose reputation is opposite to yours, then the mutinying ship is one of your companion ships, and you've probably kept the best ship for yourself. If it's someone who objected to you changing flags, e.g. a merchant whom you're double-crossing, then he doesn't want to fight you and any companion ships you may have. Be in something fast enough to catch him.

A few salvoes of chainshot will make a nice mess of his sails and possibly take down a mast.

And if it's someone who objects to you changing flag then, until you change flag, he's friendly, part of your fleet, and obeys your orders. Tell him to heave to. Sail up next to him. Then change your flag to start the fight. Don't just change flag while he's a long way behind you at the back of your fleet!

On the other hand, if it's a genuine mutiny, it may be worth giving the ship the "Nosurrender" attribute. It can stay at low morale so it tries to run away, but we don't want it surrendering and begging for mercy a couple of minutes later!

Download this, extract it and copy to the top level of the game installation folder. Windows should then try to merge the downloaded "PROGRAM" folder with your existing "PROGRAM" folder. Next time you double-cross a merchant and he surrenders, he should have something to say.
Thank you, good to know that is fixed finally. :keith

Mutinied ships should want to sail away!
Two full upgraded tier-5 ships wont give a fight to 1 tier 4 frigate? especially if there are pirates pissed off with too long expedition and not much plundering because of following Mefisto trace. They certainly rather try to get that 5000000 from ship chest on flagship. Anyway, added to AISea line seems to work fine.

Update I suppose)

Game thinks that navigator (Artois, who has connected quest) is dead. Quest log says that. But he isn't! How can I reset it so I would be able to complete quest?

Did you put Artois onto a ship, and did it mutiny? The only way the questbook should say that Artois is dead is if Artois is, in fact, dead.

If you capture a ship and its commander surrenders, the commander character is killed and a clone created. (See Fix in Progress - Captive captains are just clones.) So if Artois mutinied, surrendered and you got him back as an officer, what you'd actually have is a clone and the real "Artois Voysey" character would be dead, which would trigger the questbook update. If that is what has happened then I don't think the quest can be recovered because even if it's put back to where it was, it's not going to work with the clone. And if the real "Artois Voysey" character is resurrected, you'll effectively see two Artois Voyseys.

I doubt it. He never mutinied, but was in command of a captured ships few times. So I'm sure that I didn't recruit him second time after mutiny.
So, it sould be real Artois, after all. But I don't remember when this happened with quest (ages ago, I just didn't notice)

Btw how to make ship cursed? I took all aztec coins but no change to the ship, only crew. And I heard all that fascinating stories about torned sails and fog around the ship.

Wait. The curse will hit the ship as well, but it takes some time. After a couple of weeks you should see a message about the crew complaining about trying to repair the sails...

I see) So the crew onboard, taken to shore and crew models in 3d sailing will change as well? Or only sails?

I'm not sure about crew ashore. Crew on board probably won't change, though crew during boarding actions might. Actually, if they haven't already changed then they probably won't change after a couple of weeks because the change to skeletons at night is the first part of the curse, which should already be in effect.

What will change is the ship itself. The sails will become torn and you'll get the fog.

I see) So the crew onboard, taken to shore and crew models in 3d sailing will change as well? Or only sails?
Boarding crew changes if you put cursed coins in the weapons locker.
Crew ashore changes if you give them one cursed coin each.
Crew in 3D Sailing Mode doesn't change due to game engine limitations.

Okay then. And ship wont get HP buff after being cursed? Because on well-known island I saw cursed ships with 100k hp i think.

Also
If I give coin to crew members ashore and than tell them get back to the ship will I lose these coins?
When assaulting fort team is not cursed even during night. I think they are not the ones that present during boarding.
Also, at night regular crew onboard (not during boarding, just if you go on deck) not cursed too (because they also not using weaponlocker I suppose)

And one more)
Is there some kind of tutorial, how can I add ship and make Vanderdecken sell it? All I want to do is to make corsair frigate model more... cursed, well. So I wanted to change some stats and textures in that version. That's all. Sounds possible

Maybe only add variation for kreyser type frigate, like corsair one

Last edited:
No, the ship won't get silly HP. The ship's HP isn't set by the curse, it's set by the ship's model. Specific cursed ship models such as the Black Pearl and Flying Dutchman are defined to have huge HP. Your ship isn't, it just gets the special effects. However, cursed coins given to your crew do affect the calculations for damage, so although the ship may not show improved HP, it might take less damage when it's hit.

I'm not sure what happens with crew ashore. Save game, then try it! If the coins are returned then they'll probably end up in the weapons locker. If not, you can reload the savegame from before you gave the coins to the crew. For that matter, check if they already have coins - if they automatically take weapons from the locker, they might take coins from there as well.

I don't know where the game gets the models for the deck crew. You'll notice that they aren't the same as normal crew - look at their faces, specifically their noses.

(To be honest, I don't know much about cursed coins at all. I'm not that fond of supernatural stuff and never use them. But I noticed the calculations for ship damage involving cursed coins when I was checking on the effects of the updated ship damage perks.)

If I give coin to crew members ashore and than tell them get back to the ship will I lose these coins?
I'm not entirely sure; maybe when you get that same crewmember back at some point, he'll have the coin again?
But I wouldn't recommend taking the chance; better take it off him before sending him back.

When assaulting fort team is not cursed even during night. I think they are not the ones that present during boarding.
Odd; I'd expect those to be generated by the same code as the boarding crew, because a fort assault technically IS a boarding as far as the game is concerned.

Also, at night regular crew onboard (not during boarding, just if you go on deck) not cursed too (because they also not using weaponlocker I suppose)
I think you're right. :yes

Is there some kind of tutorial, how can I add ship and make Vanderdecken sell it? All I want to do is to make corsair frigate model more... cursed, well. So I wanted to change some stats and textures in that version. That's all. Sounds possible
Should be easy enough; make a copy of the ship with a different ID and set it to CanBuy and CanEncounter = false.

However, cursed coins given to your crew do affect the calculations for damage, so although the ship may not show improved HP, it might take less damage when it's hit.
Correct. Less crew damage at least; can't remember now about hull/sail damage.

I'm not sure what happens with crew ashore. Save game, then try it! If the coins are returned then they'll probably end up in the weapons locker. If not, you can reload the savegame from before you gave the coins to the crew. For that matter, check if they already have coins - if they automatically take weapons from the locker, they might take coins from there as well.
Shore crew unfortunately aren't linked to the Weaponslocker.

I don't know where the game gets the models for the deck crew. You'll notice that they aren't the same as normal crew - look at their faces, specifically their noses.
Completely different section of the code.
It's quite inconvenient actually that there are something of 5 different places where "crew" is generated. :facepalm

To be honest, I don't know much about cursed coins at all. I'm not that fond of supernatural stuff and never use them.
Fair enough in my book! To Each His Own, right?
Personally, even though I added a lot of that stuff myself, sometimes I like fantasy stuff and sometimes I don't.

And one more)
You can change stats by editing "PROGRAM\Ships\Ships_init.c". Copy the entire definition for "PiratFrigateSup", paste it, change the "refShip.Name" name to something else, and edit the stats to suit yourself. If you change both "refShip.CanEncounter" and "refShip.CanBuy" to false, the ship can't be bought at a normal shipyard or encountered at random on the sea, so the only way you'll see it is at Vanderdecken's shipyard.

Next, copy the whole "RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships\PiratFrigateSup" and rename the folder to match whatever you called your new version. Then rename all the files to match. So, for example, if your new "refShip.Name" is "CursedFrigateSup" then you'll name your folder "CursedFrigateSup", and all the files become "CursedFrigateSup.gm", "CursedFrigateSup_figurehead.gm", "CursedFrigateSup_mast0.gm", etc.

To change the textures, you'll need TX Convertor and Hex Editor. You'll also want GM Viewer. And you need some sort of picture editing software which can read "Targa" files, i.e. ".tga".

Use GM Viewer to examin "CursedFrigateSup.gm". There's a window which tells you which texture files the model is using. Most of them are for small details but the most important is "bortoutfrigateP.tga" - actually it's "bortoutfrigateP.tga.tx", and it's in "RESOURCE\Textures\Ships". Use TX Convertor to change this to ".tga" format, and note the format - "R5G5B5", "DXT1 - 4x compressed", etc. Now you can edit "bortoutFrigateP.tga". When you've finished, save the result as a new file with a name the same length as the original, e.g. "bortoutFrigateC.tga". Use TX Convertor to convert that to "bortoutFrigateC.tga.tx". And then use Hex Editor on "CursedFrigateSup.gm" - look for "bortoutFrigateP.tga" and change it to "bortoutFrigateC.tga", or whatever you called the new texture file. This is why the file name must be the same length as the original - the new file name has to fit exactly the same space as the original when you edit the model file. You can now use GM Viewer to examine your new model.

You'll need to start a new game for the new ship to show up. The easiest way to check it is to edit "PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h", go right to the bottom, and set "ENABLE_CHEATMODE" to 1. With cheatmode enabled, when you go to choose your ship, you can pick any ship valid for your chosen time period, not just tier 5 or smaller. You should see a blank ship because there are some more things to do to make the ship appear properly, but if you select that, you should find yourself in command of your new ship. If you get this far and the game doesn't crash when you leave the tutorial deck and get to the port, we'll proceed on to how to get the ship to appear properly in the interface.

Should be easy enough; make a copy of the ship with a different ID and set it to CanBuy and CanEncounter = false.
Alright, but which files should I edit? only ships (program > ships) or Venderdecken file too?
I decided that it would be better to only add cursed variation model for kreyser type frigate like corsair one. So, what should I edit? (except textures, this point is clear)

Odd; I'd expect those to be generated by the same code as the boarding crew, because a fort assault technically IS a boarding as far as the game is concerned.
When assaulting a town sometimes your officers are not with you and sometimes crew doesn't use weaponlocker. And sometimes both.

Last edited:
Grey Roger
Thanks a lot)) I'm fine with photoshop and already downloaded all that stuff. There is many little details which can mess things up like name lenght btw,but I'm going to try х)

If you do get the ship into the game, with a blank interface, you should sail it into open sea, preferably with good weather, then get a screenshot of it. Press F9 to get rid of all the information display - compass, command icons, etc. - and then press F8 to get a screenshot. This will be in the top level of your game installation folder, called "seadogs<something>.tga". Use Photoshop to convert that to .jpg, then you can post the picture here. Also post "system.log" which should also be in the top level of the installation folder.

Back