• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Adjustments

Seconded! xD:
Fair winds to ye, Pieter! :doff

Thanks, mates. I'm in Miami now and will be going shipshape again tomorrow. I'll stay around though.
And indeed I'll take care of my computer; I've blown up one, let's not do that again! :shock

I'm in Miami now and will be going shipshape again tomorrow.
It's OK for some, then! I'm shiverin' me timbers here in England! :brr
Arr, it be unnatural fer a pirate ter be in sub-zero conditions! xD:

Does anyone recognize this ship? It is a small brig that got into PotC from ....somewhere.

Recognise it? Yes. Know where it came from? No. :facepalm

But what concerns me more is Belette on the left... how old is that screenshot?
I'm asking because:
a) I thought we wanted to use the old texture, to fit in with the rest of the French battle fleet, and
b) I changed the rigging to make it use the old Battleship's layout
Were either of these implemented in Patch 5? :?

about a), I personaly still think it's not a good idea, and I hope we will reconsider this choice in the future. My anoying two cents here. :wp

It was night in my P5 install, so I used a P4 install for that screenie. The Belette looks a bit different in P5.

about a), I personaly still think it's not a good idea, and I hope we will reconsider this choice in the future. My anoying two cents here. :wp
Well don't blame me, that's just the impression I was under.
She sort of sticks out from the fleets' colour scheme with the new texture, that's all. But it's debatable.

The Belette looks a bit different in P5.
Ah, good, just checking. ;)

I did include your rerigs and retextures in Patch 5, Experienced Captain. :yes

a simple virtual sailor, I'm not 100% sure what you mean.
Do you mean you don't want the French navy colour scheme ships used in the Standard storyline at all for historical accuracy?

First I'd personaly like to have more info about how much historical this red-and-black color scheme really is. I fully understand that color schemes are usefull gameplay-wise, and all, but too me it just look weird for the french Royal fleet in the XVII or begining of the XVIII. I'm being concerned about players who could have trouble to fit at their ease in our game with such ships.
So well, whenever a new french ship appears, I'm not for repainting it in black and red right away. And I'm not sure whether color schemes are needed in all time periods either. I think we should be less strict than we currently are on that matter.

All I know is that that scheme is used in Master and Commander and the Hornblower films, so players might be familiar with it from that.
I'm sure there's some measure of truth in it, but have no idea how much.

In any case, I understand that national colour schemes are a "modern" thing, so shouldn't be applied in all time periods.
However, at least as far as random encounters are concerned, the national colour scheme ships aren't used in the earlier periods.
We did use them for some scripted French ships in the Standard storyline, such as the squadron blockading Barbados* and also Rabel Iverneau's ship.
I think once we did our ship cleanup, we should go through all scripted quest ships and make them:
a. Use non-standard game models where appropriate
b. Make them period-correct where possible
So then we could change these ships back to not being black-and-red, which probably would be better in the Standard storyline's time period.

I'm not aware of us being very strict on the colour schemes though.
We use what the modelers and skinners made and make sure that they're not used by inappropriate nations.
Personally I'd like more nation colour schemes for other nations, but we don't really have that many good ones yet.
A LOT of English ones, a few French, a few Dutch and that's about it.
There's no real Spanish ships with distinct colour scheme, but we do have ships that have a distinct Spanish appearance anyway.

* = Funny; we just departed the real Barbados a couple of hours ago. :cheeky

I was just looking at using pgargon's US colour scheme for Victory, when I decided to look at some of our other US paint jobs.
As good as they look, there is some inconsistency about them. Mainly in the masts and yards.
For example, Constitution has white masts and brown yards; US_Schooner47 has white (47US.tga) for both; and US_Enterprise has normal deck.tga for both. :wacko:
But in actual fact, aren't they meant to have white masts and black yards (in our game's relevant time periods, that is)? This is based on some photos of the real Constitution that I found.
I experimented with the white (47US.tga) and black (cr13.tga) deck.tga-based textures we have, and tried this out on US_Enterprise:

[attachment=5885:US_Enterprise.jpg]

Do you think this looks better? If so, it can easily be applied to all our deck.tga-compatible US ships. :yes

I like that change; makes the ships match up better for sure. :onya
No idea about period-correctness though.

Well I'm fairly sure it's more-or-less correct for our US periods.
Even if it's not 100% accurate, it does make the US ships look better and more uniform, in my opinion. :keith

In that case I'll modify the existing ships and include the updates in the Christmas Ship Pack later today! :xmas

Back