• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Adjustments

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
Ahoy everyone,
I started this topic when thinking about a couple of good points recently made by other members:
  • The Grand Schooner's pennants look too big
  • The battleship2 model (the one in my signature) seems too high out of the water
This made me realise that both of these are easily changed, and that there must be other instances of similar things.
Upon further investigation of both these points, I discovered:
  • The Grand Schooner uses the wrong walk file, despite not even having one assigned in ships_init :blink:
  • The same ship also has TWO identical ships_init entries
  • ALL the stock battleship models seem too high out of the water
So I've decided to fix these problems, and am currently experimenting to get the right outcomes.

So basically, any small, annoying problems with any of the ships in PotC can be posted here, and should be fairly easy to solve. :dance
Such problems can involve:
  • Flags: positioning, sizes or quantities
  • Hull positioning in the water
  • Incorrect/lack of walk file usage (in some cases new files will be needed, though)
  • Any other locator-related issues
  • Any other ships_init-related issues
All this in the interest of cleaning up the Build Mod! :cheers

UPDATE: I removed Captain Hog's list of ships with walk file problems, since they were for CoAS. :facepalm
Instead, here's one Pieter and I have made, consisting of any updates of new/correct walk file assignments:

1. Walk files included in the file attached to [a post further down this page]:
· Carrack (Caravol1)
· Spanish Fast Galleon (FastGalleon1)
· -Ditto- (FastGalleon2)
· Spanish Fast War Galleon (PirateFastGal)
· Barque Longue (Barquem1)
· Squaresail Schooner (Hooker1)
· Naval Sloop (Sloop3)
· Lugger (Lugger3)
· Fluyt-of-War (Frigate6)
· 56-Gun 4th Rate (Lineship5) [partial walk only] - Newly converted file, better now.
· -Ditto- (NL_Lineship2) [partial walk only] - Newly converted file, better now.
. (Fleut4) - Newly converted file. Is it better than the previous? (checking required)
. (Manowar3) - Newly converted file. Is it better than the previous? (checking required)
· Light Pinnace (LightPinnace1) - Retextured CoAS model by Yo Ho Ho
· Light Pinnace (LightPinnace2) - Retextured CoAS model by Yo Ho Ho
· Light Pinnace (LightPinnace3) - Retextured CoAS model by Yo Ho Ho
· Heavy East Indiaman (WarGalleon1) - Retextured CoAS model by Yo Ho Ho
- -Ditto- (WarGalleon2) - Retextured CoAS model by Yo Ho Ho
· -Ditto- (WarGalleon3) - Retextured CoAS model by Yo Ho Ho
· -Ditto- (WarGalleon4) - Retextured CoAS model by Yo Ho Ho
· -Ditto- (La_Licorne) - Retextured CoAS model by Seb'
· East Indiaman (JamaicaShip1) - Modified AoP/CoAS model by Yo Ho Ho
· -Ditto- (Mordaunt1) - Modified AoP/CoAS model by Yo Ho Ho

2. AoP ships for which we can convert sailorspoints files to PotC walk with this tool:
http://forum.pirates...onverting-tool/
We need to find out what are these ships' AoP/CoAS equivalents so we know which walk files to convert.
[ALL DONE - There's some custom ship models' walk files in the Combined Modpack that we can still try to convert]
· Armed Tartane (Tartane3) - AoP nor CoAS has a sailorspoints file for their tartanes :facepalm

3. Modified AoP/CoAS ships that might need their source ships' walk files to be slightly adjusted:
· Naval Light Brig (Brig_n1) - Modified AoP/CoAS model by Yo Ho Ho - I can't find the AoP/CoAS equivalent of this ship :wacko:

3. Modified PotC ships that might need their source ships' walk files to be slightly adjusted:
Using their original base ships' walk files as per attached ships_init.c file puts crew on the deck properly,
but crew might climb unexisting/moved masts due to re-rigging.
· Jackass Bark (Barque3_50) - Based on stock PotC Yacht2
· English Bark (Barque4_47) - Based on stock PotC Yacht2
· Indiaman (FastMerchantman) - Based on the stock PotC corvette1
· Indiaman (NL_Merchantman) - Based on the stock PotC corvette1
· Fragata Latina (PO_FastNavy) [Incorrect file] - Based on the stock PotC corvette1
· 74-Gun 3rd Rate (US_HeavyWarship) - Based on the stock PotC lineship (=former Black Pearl)
· 74-Gun 3rd Rate (HeavyWarship) - Based on the stock PotC lineship (=former Black Pearl)
· Pinnace (NL_Pinnace) - Modified PotC Pinnace model by Yo Ho Ho
. 74-Gun 3rd Rate (FR_SuperiorWarship1) - Highly modified stock PotC model by Kazeite- CREW FLOATS
. -Ditto- (FR_SuperiorWarship2) - Highly modified stock PotC model by Kazeite- CREW FLOATS
· -Ditto- (RN_Warship) - Highly modified stock PotC model by Kazeite- CREW FLOATS
· Heavy Pinnace of War (NL_TwoDecker_47) - Modified PotC Pinnace model by Thomas the Terror
· Heavy Pinnace-of-War (NL_SevenProvincien) - Modified PotC Pinnace model by Yo Ho Ho

4. New ship models for which a walk file was never made and would need to be done from scratch:
· Trade Brig (Edinburg) - Original model by ZarethPL
· Trade Brig (HMS_Bounty) - Original model by ZarethPL
· Fast Brig (HMS_Interceptor) - Original model by Kazeite
· 24-Gun Brig (US_Enterprise) - Original model by Kazeite
· Corvette (Corvette1_47) - Original model by Sprut
· Spanish Heavy War Galleon (SP_BattleGalleon_Weathered) - Original model by SuperChango

5. Voyage Century Online ships for which a walk file was never made and would need to be done from scratch (if we decide not to remove these ships):
-- These I'd like to keep if we can --
· English Galleon (Galeon5)
· English War Galleon (Galeon5W)
· English Fast War Galleon (Galeon5FW)
· -Ditto- (NL_Batavia2)

6. Voyage Century Online ships for which a walk file was never made and would need to be done from scratch (if we decide not to remove these ships):
-- These we could decide to remove --
· Light Flushdeck Frigate (Lydia1)
· -Ditto- (Lydia2)
· -Ditto- (Lydia3)
· -Ditto- (Lydia4)
· Heavy East Indiaman (Sirius1)
· Light East Indiaman (NL_Batavia1)
· 64-Gun 3rd rate (Warship11) + BAD 1st person walk
· Pinnace-of-War (Merchant11) + BAD 1st person walk + odd ropes

7. LATEST SHIPS (confirmed crewless):
- Battleship3 and 4
- HeavyLineship1 and 2
- HMS_Endeavour and all SotL ships
- US/FR_SteamFrigate (unique and encounterable)
- CursedDutchman
- FlyingDutchman (partial walk, same as Lineship5 was)

UPDATE 2:
Another point has arisen; the FlyingDutchman has bad rope and rigging, so needs fixing when possible. There's a tutorial somewhere on how to do this.

Have you looked at the list Captain Hog has for problem ships in one of the threads here? You might want to move that list here so it won't get lost so easily. There seems to be a lot of ships with crew problems. Look at the Bark Longue. It looks like it does not have a crew until you look in the cabin windows. There they are! xD: It's kinda cool actually seeing people running around inside a ship.

The Grand Schooner has bad walk files? If a ship has a crew I'm happy since most of them have the crew buried into the deck or something. Housecleaning can be tedious, bit is necessary.

Have you looked at the list Captain Hog has for problem ships in one of the threads here? You might want to move that list here so it won't get lost so easily. There seems to be a lot of ships with crew problems. Look at the Bark Longue. It looks like it does not have a crew until you look in the cabin windows. There they are! xD: It's kinda cool actually seeing people running around inside a ship.

The Grand Schooner has bad walk files? If a ship has a crew I'm happy since most of them have the crew buried into the deck or something. Housecleaning can be tedious, bit is necessary.
I'll find that list and copy it here, that's a good idea. :yes
As for the Grand Schooner, it appeared to have the normal schooner's walk file, since I saw crew climbing invisible masts in odd places. So I've assigned the normal xebec walk file, and all is well. But I still don't know how it even HAD the wrong walk file if it wasn't even assigned in ships_init. :wacko:

Do you can also make walk and sailor points?
Er, not yet, but I'm sure I could pick up a few pointers about them... :shrug

Updated first post to include Captain Hog's list of ships with walk file issues. :hmm

EDIT: an update on the battleship2's water level-

[attachment=5422:Battleship2_update.jpg]

When compared to my signature image, I think it looks more suitable, no?
And while I was at it, I made the pennants longer, cos I thought they were too small. :cheeky What do you think?

That does look better. Question. Is the waterline uh, line supposed to above the water? Or touching it? I know that if it is under water then it is time to get the bilge pumps going. :shock

That does look better. Question. Is the waterline uh, line supposed to above the water? Or touching it? I know that if it is under water then it is time to get the bilge pumps going. :shock
Do you mean the line on that specific ship? Well, I know that if it goes any further down, the ship will start taking on water through the bow gunports, and at the current setting, the line is slightly above the water. Less so than before, at least. So I reckon it should be just above the waterline. :shrug

Thanks a LOT for doing this work; it'll be great to have these little issues sorted out! :dance

Note that Captain Hog's list of ship walk files appears to be for CoAS and not the PotC Build Mod.
We don't have a ship called "Enterprize". :no
•The Grand Schooner uses the wrong walk file, despite not even having one assigned in ships_init
Very true. Change its refShip.all line to "Xebec1" and perform a reinit. The walk file should now be correct.
•The same ship also has TWO identical ships_init entries
Also true. I checked and the two entries aren't exactly the same though.
I get the impression that the second one is the newest, so recommend removing the first.
Look at the Bark Longue. It looks like it does not have a crew until you look in the cabin windows. There they are!
I caught that one as well and fixed it in my game. She's originally an AoP model, but used an original PotC walk file.
I have used our new conversion tool to give her the correct walk file; this will be included in the next patch.
When compared to my signature image, I think it looks more suitable, no?
Yes, she does. Now you mention it, the ship in your signature DOES look weird like that. :facepalm

Thanks a LOT for doing this work; it'll be great to have these little issues sorted out! :dance
No problem, it's the little things that get noticed, sometimes, and a couple of them were bugging me (especially when staring at my ship- a captain wants their ship to look perfect, you know? xD:).

Note that Captain Hog's list of ship walk files appears to be for CoAS and not the PotC Build Mod.
Oh you're KIDDING me! Oh :modding!
Dammit, that's another job to be done. But I did wonder why some of those ships were named like that. :facepalm

•The Grand Schooner uses the wrong walk file, despite not even having one assigned in ships_init
Very true. Change its refShip.all line to "Xebec1" and perform a reinit. The walk file should now be correct.
Already did that, don't worry. ;)

I checked and the two entries aren't exactly the same though.
I get the impression that the second one is the newest, so recommend removing the first.
Thanks for pointing that one out- will do.

Now you mention it, the ship in your signature DOES look weird like that. :facepalm
Yeah, I think I need to update it now. Luckily, I saved a game at the EXACT position of the screenshot... :cheeky

There's just one thing which concerns me a little... I've noticed some files which are used by multiple people for multiple mods, which are being updated at different times with different content.
For example, ships_init is being changed all the time. I uploaded a version with the HSP, and we've since updated it, so anyone who downloads that before any recent changes overwrites them. I'll need to change that. But anyway, is there some way of keeping files like ships_init up-to-date in one place? FTP maybe?

There's just one thing which concerns me a little... I've noticed some files which are used by multiple people for multiple mods, which are being updated at different times with different content.
For example, ships_init is being changed all the time. I uploaded a version with the HSP, and we've since updated it, so anyone who downloads that before any recent changes overwrites them. I'll need to change that. But anyway, is there some way of keeping files like ships_init up-to-date in one place? FTP maybe?
We used to have a system in place for that, but the server died and now we are without again.
WinMerge of course helps to keep everybody's changes, but it can still be quite a pain to go through them all.
Indeed it'd be good to have the file on the FTP, but then everybody should also merge their work with that file and keep it up-to-date.
Alternatively, I always figure that if people release their modifications fairly frequently,
it's easier for everybody else to keep up with the changes. However, with me being at sea*,
I'm not properly able to either download everybody's changes nor to upload all of my own. :facepalm

* Actualy, we'll be in Boston port for the coming few days, bracing for hurricane Earl.

We've started doing this for COAS, but we upload all files that are edited to add new ships to the game so then anyone who adds a new ship can do so and reupload the files again. This way we are all up to date with those files and the changes in them.

I have to reupload all the ships files because of adding a ship recently, we use the COAS FTP for this. I think if all the POTC team are aware of that system then that should cut things down but it also requires everyone to let each other know if they are doing something with any of those files and which files they are working on and why. You can give it a try and see what happens, no harm in trying is there.

It has been a while since I had one and I don't remember, but a Carrack went sailing by today and I used the birdie cam to look it over and it does not appear to have a crew. :yoho

It has been a while since I had one and I don't remember, but a Carrack went sailing by today and I used the birdie cam to look it over and it does not appear to have a crew. :yoho
I noticed that a while back, so I'll add it to the list. But I still need to give the list a complete overhaul, since it's not PotC. :facepalm
To make that easier, does anyone remember the code which can be executed via the console to give the player the next ship listed in ships_init?
That way I could make a list quite quickly of ships without crew altogether. Ships with crew problems require a bit more attention and testing, however.

The code for that is already in console.c:
Code:
/*
if(!Checkattribute(pchar,"cheatship")) Pchar.cheatship = 0;
int con = sti(Pchar.cheatship);
if(con<SHIP_TYPES_QUANTITY)
{
GiveShip2Character(pchar,ShipsTypes[con].id,"Test Ship",-1,ENGLAND,true,true);
Pchar.cheatship = con +1;
}
TraceAndLog("*************************** Ship : " + ShipsTypes[con].id + " , Index : " + con + " ");
*/
Just remove the /* and */ around it, then press F12 in the game to cycle through the ships.

OK thanks Pieter, I'll have a go at making a list of crewless PotC ships... :dance

Please see post #1 for a WIP list of crewless PotC ships.

Right. Now to find that list of VCO ships that are going to be removed and subtract them from that list.

Back