• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Adjustments

1. It's not technically two different files, but there is different points and animations used for combat, mainly for the cannon reloading animation.

2. The Light Pinnace is an AoP/CoAS-based ship and not a VCO one, so she's not amongst the most sub-standard ones, so we can keep her.
As for the stern windows, I know what you mean and it applies to various other AoP/CoAS-based ships as well.
It is possible to remove the transparency by editing the texture files, but we'd need to replace it with something that looks "window-y".

Thanks very much, mate! :woot
- Battleship3 and 4
- HeavyLineship1 and 2
- US/FR_SteamFrigate (unique and encounterable)
- FlyingDutchman (partial only; same as Lineship5 was)
- US_SloopofWar47 has incorrect texture for mainmast (can be fixed by HEX-editing; I'll check that)
Confirmed and fixed. Walk files will need to be checked.
I think we removed the crew from the Steam Frigates at some point on purpose; probably because they'd walk through the added cabin. :facepalm
You did that pretty quickly! That's great! :woot
About the steam frigates; I guess you just used the original file for now? If so, I guess the crew will not only walk through the new cabin, but also try loading some old guns, which were removed to make space for the paddle wheels. :?

- RN_Warship and equivalents have crew floating just above the deck.
These are based on a remodeled stock game model; walk file would need adjusting then. :(
From what I've seen in GM Viewer, I think that this model is situated slightly lower down the y-axis than the stock model, hence the crew walk has not been adjusted accordingly, so they walk on thin air just above the deck. I'm not 100% sure what needs changing to correct that, though. :facepalm

And I've made some observations about various things:
- RN/US_HeavyFrigate models have spanker too high up mizzenmast?
- US_SteamFrigate has the wrong default sail texture? (pure white without the horizontal stripe)
- FlyingDutchman has odd rope and rigging locators.
Just to reiterate a couple of points:
  • I thought the spanker sail on the mentioned ships seemed too high up; I've done some experimenting and think I've found a better locator position for it. I'll get a screenie soon.
  • The default sails on the US steam frigate are the ones which you get when using pure white sails without an emblem- the blank ones. To me, that looks a bit odd, but it's nothing major. However, it has reminded me; can we change the default emblem-less sail with the pure white sails to be the same as the normal ones?
  • The FlyingDutchman looks very odd with some silly rope and rigging locator points, which do not link to the hull/masts. Anyone able to fix this? I guess it just requires some locator work with the TOOL. :shrug

About the steam frigates; I guess you just used the original file for now? If so, I guess the crew will not only walk through the new cabin, but also try loading some old guns, which were removed to make space for the paddle wheels.
Very true.

The default sails on the US steam frigate are the ones which you get when using pure white sails without an emblem- the blank ones. To me, that looks a bit odd, but it's nothing major. However, it has reminded me; can we change the default emblem-less sail with the pure white sails to be the same as the normal ones?
All you'd need to do is to edit these lines in PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c:
Code:
	refShip.EmblemedSails.normalTex = "sail_purewhite_common.tga";
refShip.EmblemedSails.nationFileName = "sail_purewhite_common.tga";
Select your preferred sails from RESOURCE\Textures\Ships\Sails or remove the lines for default sails.
The FlyingDutchman looks very odd with some silly rope and rigging locator points, which do not link to the hull/masts. Anyone able to fix this? I guess it just requires some locator work with the TOOL.
I think there's a "fixing rope errors" tutorial around...

The default sails on the US steam frigate are the ones which you get when using pure white sails without an emblem- the blank ones. To me, that looks a bit odd, but it's nothing major. However, it has reminded me; can we change the default emblem-less sail with the pure white sails to be the same as the normal ones?
All you'd need to do is to edit these lines in PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c:
Code:
	refShip.EmblemedSails.normalTex = "sail_purewhite_common.tga";
refShip.EmblemedSails.nationFileName = "sail_purewhite_common.tga";
Select your preferred sails from RESOURCE\Textures\Ships\Sails or remove the lines for default sails.
True, I can do that one easily, but I was also asking about the sails in the 'choose sails' interface. When selecting pure white sails without an emblem, the sails which would otherwise display an emblem are the plain ones described, while the others are the normal pure white ones. So can we change it so that BOTH types of sails are the same normal texture?

The FlyingDutchman looks very odd with some silly rope and rigging locator points, which do not link to the hull/masts. Anyone able to fix this? I guess it just requires some locator work with the TOOL.
I think there's a "fixing rope errors" tutorial around...
*AHEM* don't look at me! I'm not suggesting you were, but I'd appreciate it anyway if someone else could handle this; I have enough to do right now. :rolleyes:

I have not seen it mentioned here, but the 1st person POV on the class 1 pinnace of war is too low. One can hardly see over the rails. It is really not a functional problem, but it is irritating. I see the other class 1 pinnace of war(sevenprovincien)has a crew. Gotta get one.

I have not seen it mentioned here, but the 1st person POV on the class 1 pinnace of war is too low. One can hardly see over the rails.
It's just a guess, but can this be fixed by moving a locator? I'm guessing the 'path' locator might be relevant here? :?

There's a "camera" locator that you can try moving for this. :yes

True, I can do that one easily, but I was also asking about the sails in the 'choose sails' interface. When selecting pure white sails without an emblem, the sails which would otherwise display an emblem are the plain ones described, while the others are the normal pure white ones. So can we change it so that BOTH types of sails are the same normal texture?
I think I know what you mean. If you get the ship, she uses the common texture for all sails,
but if you select "Pure White", you get a "stripe" on either the emblemed sails or on all sails. Right?
I think the intention was to have the stripey thing on the emblemed sails by default. What would you prefer?

*AHEM* don't look at me! I'm not suggesting you were, but I'd appreciate it anyway if someone else could handle this; I have enough to do right now.
Fair enough. Just mark it on your to-do list and we that'll make sure we remember to do it at some point. :yes

There's a "camera" locator that you can try moving for this. :yes
Good, I'll look into that, then. I reckon there's a few ships like this, right?

I think I know what you mean. If you get the ship, she uses the common texture for all sails,
but if you select "Pure White", you get a "stripe" on either the emblemed sails or on all sails. Right?
I think the intention was to have the stripey thing on the emblemed sails by default. What would you prefer?
Er, to have the stripy thing on ALL pure white sails by default, when you choose them for any ship? I should probably get a screenshot to illustrate, since I've almost begun to confuse myself in trying to explain it. :facepalm

*AHEM* don't look at me! I'm not suggesting you were, but I'd appreciate it anyway if someone else could handle this; I have enough to do right now.
Fair enough. Just mark it on your to-do list and we that'll make sure we remember to do it at some point. :yes
Will do. :doff

Cheers, mate. Screenshots would be good, yes; I'm getting confused as well. :facepalm

OK, here are some screenshots for clarity's sake:

[attachment=5508:Sail_choose_purewhite.jpg] [attachment=5509:purewhite_sails_example.jpg]

So this is the 'choose sails' interface. When you select 'pure white' for any ship, this is what you see. (NOTE: the ship I used doesn't support emblems.)
The sail on the left is the one which normally has an emblem on it. The sail on the right is the standard one.
When one chooses NOT to have an emblem (default setting), the left sail is seen where the emblem sails would normally be. This applies to ALL ships, whether they support emblems or not. (e.g. I used the old Surprise model here, see above)
Now, I think that, like all other sail types, both sails should be the same when no emblem is selected, to avoid it looking stupid. Currently, the only way to achieve that in-game is to select your personal pure white emblem (which is nothing), which sets it to the same as the normal one.

I hope that's clearer now, and that this should be fairly easy to change. :dance

Simplest solution would be to swap the striped and non-striped sail files around
so that the emblemed sails become striped and the non-emblemed ones don't have it.
Alternatively, we could decide to do away with the non-striped sails altogether and have them either striped or emblemed.

Alternatively, we could decide to do away with the non-striped sails altogether and have them either striped or emblemed.
This was more like what I was thinking, and I'd say it'd look the best, having consistent sails when no emblem is selected.
That is what all the other sails are like, you know... :wp

Hey m8s

I wanted to request that if any of you get some time, I would really appreciate if you could send me all the PoTC walk files and the Interceptor path? I am still trying to fix that last ships in CoAS that are messed up. :modding

Thanks M8s. Hope all is smooth sailing.

I don't know if this comes under the heading of "small things".

Last night I came across a very detailed ship, listed as corvette 1_47, that has no crew. Is there a crew in the future for this otherwise excellent ship?

Depends on whether someone makes an AoP/CoAS sailorspoints or PotC walk file for her or not. :shrug

This was more like what I was thinking, and I'd say it'd look the best, having consistent sails when no emblem is selected.
So anyway, how can this be changed?

I wanted to request that if any of you get some time, I would really appreciate if you could send me all the PoTC walk files and the Interceptor path? I am still trying to fix that last ships in CoAS that are messed up. :modding
Probably, once I get some time, I could do that for you. :yes
By "Interceptor path", do you mean the GM file?

So anyway, how can this be changed?

Probably, once I get some time, I could do that for you. :yes
By "Interceptor path", do you mean the GM file?

Yes. The path the player walks on, interceptor_path.gm I think. I am probably going to download the PoTC Build latest version anyway to play and see what you guys have changed in a most excellent game.

Remind me after the 9th and I'll look at those sails.
The easiest by far would be to replace the _plain file with the _common file so you'll have two the same ones.
Then we'd need to code it so that we can use only one and remove the other.

I don't know if this comes under the heading of "small things".

Last night I came across a very detailed ship, listed as corvette 1_47, that has no crew. Is there a crew in the future for this otherwise excellent ship?

I believe this is the Stock Corvette in AOP CoAS. If you want I can convert the sailorpoints to a walk file for you?

Back