• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Ship Cannons "Realistic" Statistics

COAS has 2 types only, cannon and culverines. Carronades was disabled by the developers and only had I think 32Ibs anyway. So we have the first step in cannon and then the last step before carronades took over, while you have the last step and then the carronades. I don't know if its because COAS is set before POTC or after? You start in January 1st 1665 in COAS.

Both COAS and POTC have 2 cannon types.

COAS has cannons and culverins with culverins being heavier and having more range and doing more damage.

POTC has cannons and carronades with carronades being the same weight and having less range and doing more damage.

I'll mark this as "Solved" for PotC at least. I'm not aware of any other wrong assignments, but if there are any, be sure to let me know.

As for CoAS, do I understand correctly that there the one cannon type is literally better than the other type?
And you can install the better type cannons up to the same caliber as the non-so-good ones?

Yes, but adding the culverins reduces the cargo capacity of the ship because of the added weight. Since the COAS AI likes to sit off and shoot out your sails at extreme range the culverins are really needed.

Reduced cargo capacity due to heavier cannons? I do like that! :cheeky

Reduced cargo capacity due to heavier cannons? I do like that! :cheeky

Yes the stock game was annoying because there was no penalties for having the better culverines, so I made sure that there was penalties for them in RTBL and it progressed over time. Culverines, cost more, weigh more and take longer to load. But they do more damage than their equal cannon, however due to the larger weight of the culverine, you loose a lot of space that you could be using for carrying cargo to sell. Also because of the longer loading times the culverine has, you need to stick to a faster loading cannon on till your gunnery skills are better. I think I made the culverine slightly weaker than the cannons aswell, so they are more likely to explode on you due to damage than a cannon? but the higher the culverine calibure the stronger the culverine is, but the same is for the cannons.

Back