• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Ship Encounter Chances Correction

I thought Lineship47 was supposed to be a Dutch-looking texture, but I guess it could pass off as Portuguese too.
Then again, we're back to this problem of Portugal inheriting a multi-coloured fleet. :wacko:
Only very vaguely; I thought of just using her as a generic lineship.
OK, I guess she'd be fine as a generic ship.

I imagine this will be one of the main things to look at now that Beta 2 is released.

Absolutely. Hopefully we'll have lots of keen testers to help us out, too...

So I will be uploading a ships_init.c file here soon with some improved encounter chances to be included in the next build (along with improvements Hylie Pistoff made, see fixing the build mod ships for details) but I was wondering what people thought of bending the rules on national textures just a tad? the reason I ask is because I was thinking of doing the following, among other, less contreversial changes.

1) make the Hannah available to all nations. It does not even have an "official" american color scheme (which is good b/c historically it didn't) and as a small trading schooner, which wouldve been a very common type of ship in the Carribean for all nations. the design is american, but not in the way one thinks of for an "american schooner" It is not particulary fine lined, and definately does not have the baltimore clipper hull type or proportions. Especially now that it has fixed gaff sails (thanks Hylie!) I think it would make the game environment richer if it were more common.

2) Make the Raa available to Spain, Portugal and the Netherlands. I realize that the black and yellow scheme is officially british for game purposes, even though it was common in every navy at some point or other. However, these countries really are in need of some frigate type ships for the later periods, especially seeing as the stock frigate is being upgraded by Armada (practically a new model) to represent the Frigate Rossiya of 1728, which will not be available in the last two periods. the spanish and dutch navies tended to build relatively small frigates compared to other navies during the last part of the 1700s, though they did build some larger ones too. Both spanish and Dutch ships remained more heavily ornamented than ships in the navies of Britain and France, and the Raa would fit this bill perfectly. Ideally some new national textures could be brought in for these countries, but I think this would work well until then.

3) Make the Movie suprise encounterable. there is no real Aubrey Maturin quest ingame, and there are none in the works, so I see no reason to make this pretty ship so hard to obtain. also, because it was french built ( and even though the movie suprise was originally the HMS Rose, it was made to look french with the horseshoe style stern, and the steep tumblehome makes it look more french too) Craiggo made a french texture for it, but as far as I can tell it was only ever used in COAS, not POTC

1 and 2) I see no reason why not.

3) The movie Surprise has her name on the stern, and we have always considered that a reason to keep her unique.
It would be a bit daft to encounter a Surprise with a different name to the one on the model.
Basically, she should remain unique until the nameplate is removed.

After much discussion on the first pages of this thread, I didn't notice what was the decision on Xebecs? In the latest iteration of the game I play, I still get tons of encounters with them. Many pirates and even in English and other service sometimes...

Now if the random encounter ships flying random Mediterranean states flags (like some I offered here Praise and critique) can be put in, then the Xebec would have a better excuse to be seen...

Or maybe the Polacca/Polacre variation with just changed rigging could be introduced for variety?
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs42/i/2010/264/d/b/chebec_polacre_1762_by_lorn6-d1z6euy.jpg

I think it was decided that Xebecs definitely need to have reduced encounter chances, but no action has been taken yet.

However, that's an interesting idea of using random Mediterranean flags. Not sure how that would be coded in, but it would certainly improve the variety. :onya

In the file I'll upload soon I have reduced the encounter chances of xebecs:onya I might also make them available to pirates only? they really were'nt european warship types of vessels, and werent merchants either. there were a few exceptions in the baltic states where a shallow draft made them desireable for inshore operations, but those few vessels didn't leave the baltic to my knowledge.

Making them exclusive to pirates might be a good idea, at least for now. Makes more sense than letting all nations use them. :onya

Here is my ships_init.c file
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43901618/CArmstrong/misc/Ships_init.c

changes I have made:
1)all xebecs are now available to pirates only, and are rare at that
2) adjusted many max calibers- too many to list here- but they were mostly frigates, which were amazingly overgunned in general before, but now the constitution mounts 24pdrs max, the suprise type frigates 12 pdrs max, the raa 9 pdrs max, the Lydia 18pdrs max, and all others 12 pdrs at most. the greyhound has 9pdrs max, and any smaller vessels with outrageously large guns should be fixed too.
3) made the Raa and Greyhound encounterable for spain, holland and portugal, may have done the Vincejo for spain too, seeing as it was spanish built, but I'm not sure if I actually did or not.

Anyways, feel free to try it out, hopefully it's more realistic and high detail ships are more common!:onya

Here is my ships_init.c file
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43901618/CArmstrong/misc/Ships_init.c

changes I have made:
1)all xebecs are now available to pirates only, and are rare at that
2) adjusted many max calibers- too many to list here- but they were mostly frigates, which were amazingly overgunned in general before, but now the constitution mounts 24pdrs max, the suprise type frigates 12 pdrs max, the raa 9 pdrs max, the Lydia 18pdrs max, and all others 12 pdrs at most. the greyhound has 9pdrs max, and any smaller vessels with outrageously large guns should be fixed too.

Thank God.

Eh? I got it last night but have not looked at it yet. F11 and a save is required but you will need to sell the ships in your fleet and acquire them again for the changes to take effect. I do need to look at it. I have some questions about the Neptunus and Postillionen. Are they now overgunned?

Ok, got it now.

Reacquiring ships? I got me an 18lb Raa now. If i don't change it, will it stay 18 or change to 9, or will the ones I encounter be 9 or 18?

Yes. :D If you do not change your ship it will stay the same even with the new Ships_Init.c. But all ships you encounter will have the new stats. The RAA is pretty rare, so probably the best way to get the new stats is to get a new one with the console.

I'm going to change the stats for the Postillionen from a heavy brig to a light frigate, but keep the cannons at 12 pounders. :cheers

I don't think I touched the neptunus, and the Postillien wasnt ingame when I made the file. as for rear guns on the raa, I didnt make the ship, so whoever built it for POTBS decided to leave them out. are the stern chaser gunports on the ship ingame?

No, no ports. They'd be under the captain's cabin, in this ship prolly at the waterline, maybe why they were omitted?
The on-deck model is the battle one, with broken sides and cannons tossed about.
And the camera control is also a bit strange. As if the pivot point is elsewhere than in other ships, higher...When zoomed out, you don't see the lower hull, just sails...

Back