• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Ship Encounter Chances Correction

The high camera is caused by the way the model is made. The camera aims at the highest part of the main GM and in this ship it is the masts, so the camera is too high until someone fixes the GM.

From a practical standpoint, the ports under the stern galleries on a frigate would rarely have been opened since they were so close to the water line. The chasers usually would have been placed on deck.

I agree, and it would require a fair bit of modelling work to add the ports in at this point, not worth it IMO, unless someone else wants to volunteer for it.

Well, I'd recken it'd have to be fixed anyway. What with the odd camera, no possibility to look backwards when on deck in battle, because of a blocking wall, and to possibly add a couple rear chasers to the deck. An otherwise very lovely ship appears somewhat disfunctional from a user's point of view. I've since traded it in for a regular Frigate, even though it looked prettier :/

The trouble with the Raa frigate is that it's very difficult to import into Maya to fix it in the first place.
All models above 50,000 polygons do not export correctly from GM Viewer, so the model needs to be split up into separate components using TOOL.
Even when using two smaller components, this particular model exports as one object, as opposed to several objects.
This causes a major problem, because each separate object corresponds to a texture file that the ship uses.
It would be far too difficult to separate the pieces from scratch in Maya, so TOOL is the only remaining option.
With that comes a further drawback, since TOOL has a tendency to corrupt some models when splitting them up.

So, the only way out of this sticky situation is to use the original Maya files that the modeller, who ported the ship from PotBS, made.
We don't have those files, and said modeller has been inactive for quite some time, with no sign of returning. Hence, we're a bit stuck. :facepalm

On the bright side though, the regular frigate model will be replaced with a new high-detail version fairly soon.
Plus, we now have the new Postillionen frigate, of similar size and armament to the Raa, which has recently been ported from PotBS. :dance

yeah if you think the raa is defective...you should try sailing some stock ships sometime, they are generally much worse, and certainly don't look as good. there are plenty of other ships that dont have stern chasers, or any chasers at all. I believe the camara thing has been fixed with other ships though, so it's possible:onya

No good having a nice-looking ship if you can't see it half the time. :p
The camera issue has indeed been fixed for several other models, but as I explained above, it is NOT so simple for the Raa.
We need the original Maya files from the modeller who ported the ship, but we have neither the files nor the modeller. [Insert banging-head-against-screen smiley here]

ohhhhh!:eek: I thought you were talking about cutting stern chaser ports, not fixing the camara thing, that is annoying (urghh smiley here)

Yeah, to fix the camera issue the foremast stump needs separating from the hull to become a separate model file. I didn't make that clear enough.
TOOL can do something similar, but it corrupts the model afterwards, so it's not a great help.

The camera takes the whole hull GM file into account, and positions its centre of rotation at X=0, Z=0, and a Y position at the midpoint of the overall vertical height.
So, ships with flagpoles and tall mast stumps built into the hull model have a taller vertical height, hence a higher camera position.

your file is not up-to-date

there is not the empress inside for example

your file is 668 mb and the file of b 2.2 is 671 mb

which other ships are not included? its general practice to add new ships to the bottom of the list, but it seems that didn't happen this time around, so its easy to miss some.

at the moment i only noticed the empress, the only new ship on isla muerte is the ghost galleon

and when i put back the file from the installer, only the empress appeared, so i bet there is only this one

only 3 mb missing, it perhaps means only the empress

i dont know about "faction shipyard" ships

I just looked at your ships_init.c and the one in beta 2.2 with Winmerge and there are a ton of differences. 3 mb in a text file is huge. :shock I would suggest using Winmerge to work out the differences between the two.

Indeed, WinMerge is your friend for checking differences between files. :onya

Well I'll be gone from my computer for another
Three weeks yet, so if a new build will be released
In that time, can someone else merge it?

Pieter is at sea for another few months and Armada is off on vacation for a few weeks, so you should be ok.

Back