1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Tutorial Ship Hull modeling tutorial.

Discussion in 'Ship Modeling' started by helldiver, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Post Captain

Post Captain Seamanship Advisor Coordinator QC Advisor Storm Modder

Student of Naval Architecture
    It actually is the Taney. I'm rethinking my plans to do that vessel now, and thinking about prioritizing Spirit of Dana Point instead. (I'll give it the name it was given when it was launched in the '80's, Pilgrim of Newport. It's much more authentic-sounding.)
    I recently by chance ran into one of the original crewmembers from the 80's and he told me that the vessel origionally was built with a square fore tops'l and t'gallant and a square main tops'l. (they were taken down after a few months to placify the coast guard) That makes the whole vessel infinitely more interesting.

2. Captain Armstrong

Captain Armstrong Shipbuilding Coordinator Staff Member Coordinator 3D Artist Storm Modeller Storm Modder

Aye, that would be a much more interesting rig. :dance how many guns does/ would the Spirit/ Pilgrim of Newport mount?

3. Post Captain

Post Captain Seamanship Advisor Coordinator QC Advisor Storm Modder

Student of Naval Architecture
    It would have been captain's perrogative in that area, but there's probably ample room for up to twelve. Packed in tight, she could definitely mount more, but that would probably slow her down too much.
    Right now we're carrying a very profound and striking amount of guns: two.

Edit: Damn it, I think we're down to one gun now.

4. Legendary_Spider

Legendary_Spider Why is the rum always gone? Provisional 2D Artist Storm Modder

Ooooo the guy that discovered San Diego Bay? I'll help with textures if you need some. :onya
    I'll be happy to help with the Pilrgim's textures too if you want.

Helldiver, thanks for such an amazing tutorial! I'm gonna try some modeling asap. :dance

5. Captain Armstrong

Captain Armstrong Shipbuilding Coordinator Staff Member Coordinator 3D Artist Storm Modeller Storm Modder

6. Legendary_Spider

Legendary_Spider Why is the rum always gone? Provisional 2D Artist Storm Modder

Awww. Well at least he made this great tutorial before he left us. :onya

7. Gareth

Gareth Landlubber

I can't get this (oldish) link to work, even when logged in. Is it still working, perhaps someone could provide an alternative link?

I'm on Day1 of modelling at the moment and have spent many hours trying to get the texture to size/scale/align properly. So far I'm limited by the square preference of the software, have managed to get it rectangular but not at an acceptable resolution:

Le Raisonnable - Side profile.jpg

8. Gareth

Gareth Landlubber

UPDATE.

I've managed to get this now, using off-setting and scale trickery but I don't think this is the proper way to do it?!

See below:

Le Raisonnable - Side profile.jpg

EDIT: I seem to have got it now, using the off-set and Real-World Scale tick box (having to offset the width by 100% only) it's full aligned to the correct size.

I'd still love a link to that tutorial if anyone can find a working URL, it's the jig construction one. I've only got 1 plane so far! :)

9. Bava

Bava Wannabe Shipwright QC Advisor 3D Artist Storm Modeller

That ship looks familiar :p

I´m using Blender, but the basics should be the same: make a plane with exactely the same dimension - or ratio - as your plan (e.g. 3500*1750). Then unwrap/make a UV map of the plan (I use 'UV project from view' at a 90 degrees angle and 'project to bounds', so the texture will fill up the whole plane, there should be a similiar setting in MAX).

The final set up should look something like this:

[​IMG]

By the way, if you invert the colours of a museum plan, you a pretty cool looking blue print which is much more legible :)
    [​IMG]

10. Gareth

Gareth Landlubber

I didn't know what size to make my plane, so I used FEET. Is that going to be too small to work with, should I increase it by a factor of 10 or something? Or will it present no issue with smaller objects, i.e. can you zoom to infinity?

It should be familiar it's the Le Raisonable the French 64. I'm waiting to hear back about the Ramillies Digital Download as you suggested :)

11. SeaNorris.

SeaNorris. HoO Team Member 3D Artist Storm Modeller Storm Modder

12. Captain Armstrong

You can always scale the planes to a better size if needed, as long as you keep them the same size relative to each other

13. Gareth

Gareth Landlubber

Very handy, thanks for the tips. I've started a thread in the Content section... Humble beginnings :)

14. fleet admiral jack

fleet admiral jack Landlubber

Hi is there anyone here can make a video?
    And does anyone know where I can find zheng he's treasure ship and santa maria's blue print?

15. Hylie Pistof

Hylie Pistof Curmudgeon Staff Member QA Tester Storm Modder

I doubt it. You will just have to follow the instructions in this thread.

16. Robert Nutter

Robert Nutter Serving Victoria Provisional QA Tester 3D Artist Storm Modder

Historical Visualisation
    Hi Helldiver,

Being cheeky I know, but would it be at all possible to get the original images somehow? Only this thread is seriously helpful for me but It'd be great to have some pics to go with the first post :) It's written well but pics would be amazing! No worries if not though. They look as if they've been removed to me?

Rob

17. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    helldiver was last seen: Apr 1, 2011
    You can try to send him a PM and maybe he replies. But he won't be seeing your request here.

I wonder if @Armada has anything still available? Or maybe @Thagarr?

18. Robert Nutter

Historical Visualisation
    Will do! It's just near impossible to find good hull-building tutorials online so this is gold-dust!

19. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    I didn't realise these images had disappeared. I should probably have made a back-up, since they were quite important. :facepalm

The best I can do is refer you to this post in my Bellona thread, where I explain the method I used to create the hull using NURBS curves in Maya.
    In 3ds Max, I would avoid NURBS like the plague (I tried using them once, and it didn't end well), but you can apply the same principles from my example to polygon modelling.

The only issue here is that thread is only visible to HoO team members, which doesn't help others seeking help.
    We'll need to write up a more complete tutorial some time and post it either on the Wiki or in both the HoO and Storm Engine Modelling forums.

Robert Nutter and Thagarr like this.
  20. Robert Nutter

Historical Visualisation
    I think I have a moment to catch up on some of these posts before I lose internet access again :)

Thankfully, Nurbs were the first thing I taught myself when I got into modelling so I'm pretty confident with them, but still these tutorials will be a great help for when I start some serious hull-building!

When I did the hull for warrior (I have no pics on me sadly) and Monitor (pics in my recruitment thread), I used the Loft Nurbs in Cinema 4d and they proved very effective at building a spline-based skeleton to then throw a NURB skin (or Loft) onto. I havn't used the function in 3DS yet so I'll do that once I get back, but from what I can tell, it is pretty convoluted. In C4D it's a simple matter of building a load of skeleton splines and shaping as desired using the points in a frontal viewport. Pretty straightforward. Is this much the same across software?

Thanks for getting back!